The Gathering Storm >> A Campaign for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

By ynnen, in WFRP Archived Announcements

I'm pleased to announce the next product for WFRP!

The hinted at "Project Thunderbolt" from an earlier designer diary is revealed: The Gathering Storm: A Campaign for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay .

You can read the announcement here .

One thing missing from the announcment, WHEN ??? babeo.gif

Stay tuned to the Upcoming Products page for the latest updates on its status. It's currently (as of 12/1/09) at the printers, with an anticipated release of Spring 2010.

Looking forward to it!

ynnen said:

Stay tuned to the Upcoming Products page for the latest updates on its status. It's currently (as of 12/1/09) at the printers, with an anticipated release of Spring 2010.

WTB time machine ^^

My knee jerk response was that Spring 2010 is not nearly soon enough, but with the reality that for many of us it's starting to look like it may be February before we can get our hands on the Core Set, maybe it's not such a long wait after all.

Not that I have had chance to read this this takes me back to some of my fondest memories in my younger RPG days. I used to love a good campaign boxset and am pretty sure I still have some kicking around in cupboards at my parents...

I can still remember the joy of opening a new box set full of maps, props, counters, books such as AD&D (dragon mountain amongst others) or even some of the first edition L5R (tomb of Iuchiban - a personal fave).

Given the quality of the material provided by FFG so far this will be a welcome entry point to the "new" old world.

amazing! just need I get my core set :/

Should be fun. :)

Stormdorf? Why not one of the existing villages?

Dirach said:

While I don't think they needed to do an existing village, as there are hundreds of uncharted ones most likely, the name is a little lame. That being said, I am totally excited about a boxed campaign and can't wait to get my hands on it.

szlachcic said:

Dirach said:

While I don't think they needed to do an existing village, as there are hundreds of uncharted ones most likely, the name is a little lame. That being said, I am totally excited about a boxed campaign and can't wait to get my hands on it.

It's St rom dorf, which is literally (according to the Internets) something like "Stream Hamlet" with implications of a strong current or fast moving stream. Note the similarity to to the enemy/aspecf ot Manaan, Stromfels.

Seems to indicate a village next to a high mountain stream or the like to me. I've got no problem with the name.

As someone who's never owned a box campaign since the Dark Sun Core Set, I must say that I'm actually pretty excited.

It IS fun to open a box full of maps, books, cards etc...

Necrozius said:

As someone who's never owned a box campaign since the Dark Sun Core Set, I must say that I'm actually pretty excited.

It IS fun to open a box full of maps, books, cards etc...

Absolutely! Dark Sun in particular holds a special place for me, but the old boxed "super adventures" like Ruins of Undermountain, Dragon Mountain, and the like were always a lot of fun.

I'm excited for this release.

morskittar said:

szlachcic said:

Dirach said:

It's St rom dorf, which is literally (according to the Internets) something like "Stream Hamlet" with implications of a strong current or fast moving stream. Note the similarity to to the enemy/aspecf ot Manaan, Stromfels.

Seems to indicate a village next to a high mountain stream or the like to me. I've got no problem with the name.

Oh, I was hopping that it was spelled Strom, but I swear I looked at the name multiple times and saw Storm haha.

Any indication as to how long a campaign this is? Would it be comparable to Ashes of Middenheim in length?

Dirach said:

The name is in par with some of the names from Comics and Novels, and probably WAR. Can guess we´ll have more of this.

Grov said:

Dirach said:

The name is in par with some of the names from Comics and Novels, and probably WAR. Can guess we´ll have more of this.

Interesting. Do you know witch novels and comics that mentions Stromdorf?

Dirach said:

Grov said:

Dirach said:

Interesting. Do you know witch novels and comics that mentions Stromdorf?

I think he means that this name is as bad as some of the names in comics and novels, not that it appears in them.

Of course, he didn't actually get the name right, in any case.

Stormdorf: bad name.

Stromdorf: fine name.

Take the two german words used in Stromdorf...

Strom => stream

Dorf => village

=> Stromdorf is a village or small town at reik's banks.

I think it's probably on some minor Reik tributary, not the great river itself. The description gives me the feeling of a somewhat backwater, out-of-the-way village/town. Anything on the Reik proper would be getting too much business and attention from the river trade, IMO.

If you look at any empire maps the Reik forms one border, more or less, of Reikland, and the announcement says that the town is in central Reikland, so it would be highly unlikely that Stromdorf would be on the Reik. More likely it is situated on one of the tributaries of the Reik, Bogen etc, midway between Ubersreik and Altdorf. That area has also been lightly mapped, described etc in previous incarnations of Warhammer, so is ideal for NEW towns, villages, history and geography, without going to the farthest reachs of the Empire.

ragnar63 said:

If you look at any empire maps the Reik forms one border, more or less, of Reikland, and the announcement says that the town is in central Reikland, so it would be highly unlikely that Stromdorf would be on the Reik. More likely it is situated on one of the tributaries of the Reik, Bogen etc, midway between Ubersreik and Altdorf. That area has also been lightly mapped, described etc in previous incarnations of Warhammer, so is ideal for NEW towns, villages, history and geography, without going to the farthest reachs of the Empire.

Does Bogenhafen still exist? I thought it got sucked into a massive gate opened directly into the chaos wastes!?! gui%C3%B1o.gif

I just noticed, last night, that Stromdorf is already on the new Reikland-specific map; it's at the top end of the Teuffeul, just south of Ubersreik.

morskittar said:

I just noticed, last night, that Stromdorf is already on the new Reikland-specific map; it's at the top end of the Teuffeul, just south of Ubersreik.

+1 Fortune Point for Morskittar

I was waiting to see who would be the first to point out Stromdorf on the Reikland map found in the core set.