Dwarf/Empire Mill-Deck

By Minzi101, in Warhammer Invasion Deck Building

So due to the lack of Orderdecks (I think everybody is kind of tiered just reading Orclists or Orc-Chaoslists) in the deckbuilding section im posting my Mill-Deck here to be discussed:

First the list:

Units:

3x Dwarf Cannon Crew

3x Hammerer of Karak Azul

2x Runesmith

3x Dwarf Masons

1x Drugnor the Bold

2x Mountain Brigade

3x Peasant Militia

3x Huntsmen

3x Nuln Tinkerers

Support:

3x Contested Village

3x Keystone Forge

3x Armoury

3x Contested Fortress

Tactics:

3x Master Rune of Valaya

3x Demolition

3x Stand your Ground

2x Grudge Thrower Assault

2x Demoralise

3x Franz's Decree

3x Forced March

3x Burn it Down

Quests:

3x Infiltrate

Total should be 60 Cards.

OK now the tactical breakdown:

This deck is basically a Stalldeck which wants to win by decking your opponent. I play all bunch of cards that destroy support cards to either slow the opponent down or remove cards that give damage boosts. Also heal cards and damage cancels are very strong (Keystone Forge and Contested Fortress are a pain in the ARSE!!!). If u cant remove damage boosters just kill the unit and take a one time amount of damage and kill it with the grudge thrower assault or just move a lot of power icons in the quest zone with forced march and let ur opponent help u to deck himself. The killer cards in this deck sureley are the Master Rune and the Franz's Decree.

The Peepbase is cheep one the big part. almost every unit is playable with having 3 ressources to come back from a trolls vomit. the militia is great for the infiltrate. if u already built up a strong draw (3-4) cards and u need the extra units because the infiltrate came late or u wanna play multiple just send a unit with no power icons to prevent u from decking urself. Also this is the reason why this Deck plays 60 cards. Another thing u have to keep in mind is that the dwarf cannon crew and the dwarf masons bring cards into play as support or development cards thus making the deck effectively only 54 cards big.

The development of the deck concentrates in the quest and in the kindom zone only. so neglect the battlefield completely.

None the less in some games u will have to switch to military. in that case build a strong kingdom and quest zone and the play every unit in the battlefield and use forced march to remove strong defenders into the KINGDOM. Remember u can still handle most decks' draw with all the support destruction and giving ur opponent more money while keeping his hand low is better then giving him more amunition to use against u. Also Franz's decree is pretty good to deliver the killing blow. Let his one or strong defender not defend to press the maximum amount of damage through.

OK so enjoy commenting on the list and if anybody has questions about some mechanics or card choices feel free to ask.

Some of those units are worthless in a stall deck.

You should really be running the Scout units for hand destruction. Mill is useless without hand destruction in this game.

Also, you should note that Development/Support destruction doesn't matter against Orc/Chaos Aggro decks.

First of all if u saying some units are worthless then tell me please which ones and why u think they are useless.

Second u dont need the hand destruction. it is nice to have but not necessary. also the scouts need to survive the battle to make the opponent discard a card and most of the time that wont happen because the opponent kills the scout and doesnt dicard anything.

and why should the suport destruction not be good against chaos orcs?? u can destroy choppas totems of ..... and plenty of other good cards. also orc and chaos decks run a variety of support cards like warpstone excavation or shrine to nurgle.

And even if they dont play that much supports i can use these cards as developments and then my opponent has to play units in the quest and kingdom which means less units in the battle field which means less damage i have to worry about.

So i dont know ur metagame but IT IS VERY usefull.

Also it is pretty easy to say this and this is useless and not bringing any constructive criticism.

3x Dwarf Cannon Crew -> Useful

3x Hammerer of Karak Azul -> Mediocre, low cost and toughness 1 is only thing making it semi-useful

2x Runesmith -> Useless, 1 HP quest zone. Only purpose is to speed your draw or increase defending units power, but at 2 resource per action, not worth it

3x Dwarf Masons -> Useful

1x Drugnor the Bold -> Mediocre

2x Mountain Brigade -> Good for HP/stall

3x Peasant Militia -> Good for HP/stall

3x Huntsmen -> Useless, 1 HP, Quest only. Only purpose is to speed your draw.

3x Nuln Tinkerers -> Useful

As far as Scouts. Use them to attack undefended zones. You can also use them DEFEND. The Empire Scout is 3 cost, 1 loyalty with 1 Power, 3 HP, which means he can survive battles easily.

I state that mill is useless without hand destruction because with the way a player can draw so many cards from the QZ, it makes mill semi-useless.

Orc-Chaos Aggro decks don't need support cards to do well. Most of their units are two cost or less. They use units like Squig Herders to get extra draw in Quest Zone. Supports they use are only for offensive purposes, cost reduction, or draw increasing, the resource generation is a plus to make their deck run faster.

If anything, you should add High Elf cards for stall or units that have bounce/sacrifice effects or even high toughness units (Ironbreakers, King Kazdor). Counterstrike is also good for stall. Reiksguard Knights would make an excellent addition.

FiendishDevil said:

3x Hammerer of Karak Azul -> Mediocre, low cost and toughness 1 is only thing making it semi-useful

Such an Hammerer on a quest is a pain to remove from it : it is immune to most direct damaging effect.

BTW, I don't think the "mill" deck is a viable strategy with the current card pool. To outdeck his opponent, the deck described here tends not to draw much cards, while allowing (and perhaps even forcing) his opponent to. The resulting card disavantage is really hard to deal with, in my (limited) experience : your opponent will draw the cards he needs to beat you, while you won't draw the cards you need to cancel his assaults.

"Infiltrate" is a nice quest on the paper, but it isn't as effective as it seems : it will take 5 turns to mill out 15 cards, which is roughtly corresponding to 3-4 turns of your opponent card draw. And 5 turns is plenty of time for your opponent to deal with the unit on Infiltrate.

Personnally, my dwarf stall deck is filled with Dwarf Rangers (to make them pay for every dwarf that is falling to defend my capital), and I'm relying on killing attacking units (with the dwarven quest and other cards). My strategy is to let my opponent outdraws himself without my help. I'm still waiting on my third core set to get an effective deck (for now, I only managed to get military victories from this deck).

Not to thread jack, but I actually think that Chaos might offer better opportunities for decking an opponent. Granted it is from the other end of the equation (hand destruction).