What does the word "malleus" exactly mean?

By rubidium, in Dark Heresy

Texas_Ben said:

Karmatech said:

So when Eisenhorn cries out "I charge thee malleus, and hereby deliver thy sentence" what he's actually saying is "I charge you for that hammer, and here is your bill" ???

In which part did he say "I charge the malleus"? When he was getting his righteos smite on at the very end, he says "In the name of the Holy God-Emporer of Terra, I call thee Diabolus and hereby deliver your sentence". Which makes a lot more sense than calling him a hammer.

I was wondering the same thing. In my copy of Eisenhorn , he cries out "Diabolus" not "Malleus." I might be missing the passage, or could it be BL editors tried to fix the mistake of earlier printings? sorpresa.gif

For the record, I've always subscribed to the Malleus Maleficarum / Hexhammer interpretation of where Ordo Malleus gets its name. So if Eisenhorn did charge someone for that hammer I probably would have noticed... or chalked it up to glossia. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Well, if you're looking for the 40K definition, you can take the latin roots of Hammer and Evil, and translate Ordo Malleus as "The order of smashing out the hated enemy of malleability(chaos)."