Unofficial FAQ - one thread for all questions and answers

By Skie, in Middle-earth Quest

Hi ppl, 3 new questions... gran_risa.gif

1. Skill/Training card: Executioner / Execution

The card says: If your opponent has 0 printed defense you defeat your opponent.

Does the skill/training card Executioner played by a hero (i dont know if its the correct name but it looks like that, or excetution maybe) actually KILL your minion or only ends the battle with a Minion?

2. Stacking monster tokens:

The book says: AFTER a hero moves to a new location wich is perilious and/or contains a minion or monster token Sauro may choose peril or combat.

But what if i have 2 monster tokens on a location and a hero moves to that location?

Does that mean..

1 Hero moves to location with peril & monsters

2 Sauron chooses battle

3 Hero defeats monster token 1

4 Sauron may then choose battle or peril again? OR because the hero doesn't move to a new location i cannot choose combat or peril again, at his current one (even if there are multiple tokens) ?

3. Shadow card: play after a hero is defeated

I had a shadow card that i could play after i defeated an hero. In my opinion being defeated doesn't mean getting killed. So if a battle is ended because of exhaustion. Should i be able to play this shadow card or not?

Thanks in advance for the replys gui%C3%B1o.gif

Ginko said:

1. Skill/Training card: Executioner / Execution

The card says: If your opponent has 0 printed defense you defeat your opponent.

Does the skill/training card Executioner played by a hero (i dont know if its the correct name but it looks like that, or excetution maybe) actually KILL your minion or only ends the battle with a Minion?

2. Stacking monster tokens:

The book says: AFTER a hero moves to a new location wich is perilious and/or contains a minion or monster token Sauro may choose peril or combat.

But what if i have 2 monster tokens on a location and a hero moves to that location?

Does that mean..

1 Hero moves to location with peril & monsters

2 Sauron chooses battle

3 Hero defeats monster token 1

4 Sauron may then choose battle or peril again? OR because the hero doesn't move to a new location i cannot choose combat or peril again, at his current one (even if there are multiple tokens) ?

3. Shadow card: play after a hero is defeated

I had a shadow card that i could play after i defeated an hero. In my opinion being defeated doesn't mean getting killed. So if a battle is ended because of exhaustion. Should i be able to play this shadow card or not?

gui%C3%B1o.gif

1) 'Kill' is not a defined term in the game rules. Defeating an opponent is defined as reducing it to zero health. A battle can end without one party being defeated if both parties are exhausted . So, the card will immediately reduce the opponent's health to zero if its printed defense is 0.

2) Nothing changes, no matter how many monster tokens are stacked on a location. Sauron can only pick one to engage the hero unless the hero moves away and returns to the location.

3) See 1): 'Killed' is an undefined term. You're either defeated or battle ends because both parties are exhausted, i.e. you cannot play this card in the latter case.

Got a question concerning the plot-card A broken line of Kings:

In my german version it is not clear if one of the requirements for playing the plot, not having another plot active at the affected haven, is only a requirement for playing this plot or if it affects this haven further on , thus making it impossible to play e.g.: "ABloK" and later "Denethor gets really, really mad" ( gui%C3%B1o.gif ,) both on minas tirith.

Thanks for answers happy.gif

greetz d1502

Doom1502 said:

Got a question concerning the plot-card A broken line of Kings:

In my german version it is not clear if one of the requirements for playing the plot, not having another plot active at the affected haven, is only a requirement for playing this plot or if it affects this haven further on , thus making it impossible to play e.g.: "ABloK" and later "Denethor gets really, really mad" ( gui%C3%B1o.gif ,) both on minas tirith.

Thanks for answers happy.gif

greetz d1502

i thought this was only required. and offcourse the 6 influence adjacent.

So after activation it does not need the requirements anymore.

I thought so too, but the text on the german card can be interpreted in both ways. What does the english text say?

More and more I wish I'd bought the english version^^

I have another two questions to ask:

1) When the Plot cards (or Shadow) run out, what should i do? Should i shuffle then the discard pile and draw new again? Or i just can't draw another?

2) Can i have the same item twice? (for example two horses)

Firkraag said:

I have another two questions to ask:

1) When the Plot cards (or Shadow) run out, what should i do? Should i shuffle then the discard pile and draw new again? Or i just can't draw another?

2) Can i have the same item twice? (for example two horses)

Woho, finally I'm answering and not just asking questions.

1. Every card pile gets his own discard pile - if the original pile is empty you shuffle the discard pile and form a new draw pile.

2. The rules say no: It's not allowed to have two items of a kind. (Although my party and me have altered that rule because it's a great factor for the heroes to work better together.)

Thanks, that was really quick answer :-))

Doom1502 said:

I thought so too, but the text on the german card can be interpreted in both ways. What does the english text say?

More and more I wish I'd bought the english version^^

cant check that. the game is at a friend of mine.

But if i recall it right:

"affects a haven of Saurons choice with atleast 6 influence adjacent and no other active plot marker"

but offcourse others are welcome to correct me on that if im wrong.

Other question from me...

Example, Sauron plays an event card. i dont know the name but you guys sure would recognize it.

It is the one where you place gandalf on the board. And if a hero moves there he may place Gandalf anywhere on the board with influence and remove all monster tokens from that location.

I've had an discussion with the heroes. They firstly did the explore step to gain +1 wisdom from Gandalf and then moved him somewhere on the board to remove the monster tokens.

but, after you talk with a NPC (Champion) to gain favor or anything else they provide. That one is removed from the board.

So, in my opinion you can either choose to move Gandalf according to the hero plotmarker quest or talk to him wich removes him from the board. not both in 1 action.

Foe-Hammer says "place Gandalf", so you can consult with him for +1 Wis or +2 Favors, he goes to back to the Pool, then activate the Green Flag Event to place him back into play.

Note that if Gandalf is already in play somewhere else before Foe-Hammer is drawn, Gandalf won't be at Trollshaws, so you might not even get to consult with him first, nor would you get to place him again.

So they can consult with gandalf and then place him on the board again with the event card?

Yes. This is a great way for the heroes do gain wisdom. Consult Gandalf, activate the event, consult him again :)

Doom1502 said:

Yes. This is a great way for the heroes do gain wisdom. Consult Gandalf, activate the event, consult him again :)

Only Thalin needs +2 Wisdom though, Eleanor IMO needs +0. Personally, wiping out a monster and a ton of influence is a better use of Foe-Hammer after consulting with Gandy. Especially if that monster is in a perilous location, might fool Sauron into thinking you have the monster token Mission. Or you do have it, at least you got to remove one monster that you otherwise might not have gotten rid of.

Dam said:

Doom1502 said:

Only Thalin needs +2 Wisdom though, Eleanor IMO needs +0. Personally, wiping out a monster and a ton of influence is a better use of Foe-Hammer after consulting with Gandy. Especially if that monster is in a perilous location, might fool Sauron into thinking you have the monster token Mission. Or you do have it, at least you got to remove one monster that you otherwise might not have gotten rid of.

But that card doesn't remove influence?!?

You can move Gandalf to any location with influence and then remove all monster tokens it doesnt say you also remove the influence from that location right?

No, just monster(s), but it's still nice to get rid of a monster in a Shadow Stronghold.

Got another question, folks! gui%C3%B1o.gif

Which "at the start of combat"-step happens first (special abilities, shadow cards..)?

E.g.: I choose to battle the Mouth of Sauron and Sauron plays Morgul Blade: Do I receive the Mouth's corruption card first (and suffering more damage as a consequence) or is the shadow card resolved first?

thanks for answers

greetz d1502

Nothing official IIRC. For me, if you get two such things happening at the same time, controller chooses the order, so with Mouth + Morgul-blade, Sauron would pick the order.

Ok, thanks. I will create house rules for that with my gaming party :)

A Question that came up twice now:

If during combat the Hero is reduced to 1 card in his hand, no cards left in the Lifepool, what happens when he plays the last card from his hand?

Sure, he is defeated, but is the combat round still resolved to the end, or is he immediatly defeated and the combat ends?

Personally, I went for the second interpretation and the combat was stopped after step 3a of the combat round, but since it now happened twice I went and looked for an anwer, but couldn't find it.

Adding an official ruling:

"Cards that work against cards "with a printed defense of 0" only work on a physical card that has the number 0 printed on its defense.

These abilities do not work against exhausted characters who do not play cards, nor against cards that are modified down to zero.

Corey Konieczka"

Too bad about Execute and Attack of Opportunity, neither works against exhausted opponents sad.gif .

I'd say the combat round is fully resolved. Both players deal the damage and - oh wonder - the hero dies after this combat round because he cannot pay tha damage. But the actual card he played in combat is resolved, tha doesn't work in any other ways if he has 3 cards left in the hand but takes this round 3 ore more damage - his attack still is resolved.

sounds like a great game , i'm tempted .

Doom1502 said:

I'd say the combat round is fully resolved. Both players deal the damage and - oh wonder - the hero dies after this combat round because he cannot pay tha damage. But the actual card he played in combat is resolved, tha doesn't work in any other ways if he has 3 cards left in the hand but takes this round 3 ore more damage - his attack still is resolved.

I'd say the opposite, citing the rules on being defeated: "If a hero has zero cards in his life pool and zero cards in his hand, he is immediately defeated."

I'd take immediate literally as interrupting the round. It's similar to the minion that causes a hero to draw a corruption card at the beginning of combat and having that corruption card be the one that immediately ends your turn. You don't get to fight the minion.

@ karat: I think you're right, I missed that part.

To add a question to your example of the minion and the corruption card: Am I still able to draw cards for my agility stats or is the corruption card dealt first? As there are again colliding two "at the start of a battle"-rules, I assume this is like the problem with the corruption card and a shadowcard played at the beginning of a battle - there is no official answer for the order, but it's likely to be sauron's choice.