Army size limit mechanism ?

By Borgopolis, in Runewars

I never noticed this image. Cool!

Thanx for pointing it out.

how would the Necromancer ability of raising undead soldiers work with the army limit ? maybe it would just be ignore if it triggers ? i want the rulebook :/

Maybe they would die/retreat after combat?

then you would have to remember or mark somehow which ones will rout or die... wouldnt be the best solution in my opinion...

You simply remember after combat how many you summoned and retreat/kill any over your unit limit. Combat only goes for one sequence, so you should be able to remember it.

coobe said:

then you would have to remember or mark somehow which ones will rout or die... wouldnt be the best solution in my opinion...

There's nothing in the Necromancer ability that says the Reanimates he summons disappear after the battle is over. You just add the extra units to the fight and then whenever you next check your army limit, you remove units (any units) until you're legal. Perhaps the army limit is always persistent, in which case the summoning ability would fizzle if you're already capped, or perhaps the limit only gets checked after a battle is over, in which case you choose which units to remove when the time comes, but there's nothing I see that indicates these Reanimates have to be chosen first. Either way, there's no need to remember anything.

Yes, I'm not sure why I didn't think so last night, but that's obviously the answer.

Steve-O said:

What other unit types did BM have besides "infantry?" I can see that having no unrouted *units* would be a fail condition for battle, but I agree that restricting it to no unrouted triangles seems a bit harsh. Most rectangle units are cavalry types, I don't see why they would auto-lose just because the foot soldiers are gone. I could understand abandoned seige engines being easily overrun, but then again not all hex units are inanimate constructs. I should hope that heroes wouldn't cut and run, but there's also the arguement that they are only one person whereas a triangle infantry figure probably represents a whole lot more than just one solider.

I haven't played BM before, so I'm mostly just working with what little we know of RW so far. If BM only had "infantry" and "seige engines" then I can see how that old rule made sense back then, and also how it would be ill-suited to RW's new unit types.

Archers, Cavalry, and Infantry. Each unit had different stats based on what faction you played. Combat broke down as follows.

step 1 up to 2 archers attacked. Casualties must be taken off non archer units first if possible

step 2 up to 2 cav attack. Casualties must be taken off enemy cav first is possible

step 3 up to 3 infantry units attack. Casualties as you like.

You get to choose how to assign hits on your units, just like TI. Dragons, Giants and Fireguants fought as infantry, but didnt count as infantry for purposes of if you have been defeated. You were defeated if you had no unrouted infantry units at the end of this. There was also a rally phase for routed units, I just don't remember when in the turn order it was.

This stricture make sense for medieval battles as only infantry hold territory. It is harder for a fantasy game to justify that maxim as what counts as infantry for an army of monsters. Why shouldn't elven archers count towards holding territory, etc. But they may do it just the same, and I'd be happy if they did.

With the rules available we now have the answer to this: limit is 8 units per hex, except when attacking, and at the beginning of winter an additional restriction equal to the value of your food dial is enforced in each hex.

Please let the record show that in my first post in this thread I suggested either a hard limit OR a limit based on the food resource dial.

broken said:

Please let the record show that in my first post in this thread I suggested either a hard limit OR a limit based on the food resource dial.

LOL I like that it turned out to be both.