Substituting the dice for usual polyhedron dice

By ledgabriel, in WFRP House Rules

Will it be easy to adapt those "special" dice to the usual polyhedron dice of RPGs (d6, d8, etc.). Say you wanna play the game and you're at your friend's house or something, you can get the sheets from the net or just writting down in a blank piece of paper, you friend also plays RPG so he has a few d6, d8, d10, etc... but no Skull/Axe/Sword/Drop/etc Warhammer dice. You can't play the game then?

If these dice are half blank half "picture" then you could use a common one for odds/even (or greater than half the die) or something else, but what if the ratio is not that easy. There should be an easy way to do it, heck, I think there should be in the rules how to adapt, you can't be expected to take these dices everywhere you go.

There isn't. The dice don't all work that way. You have to sticker them. Trust me on this. My thread questions we need to have answered now outlines what's actually on the dice. The sides aren't that simple to house rules. The system needs the special dice, stickers are the only way around it but they aren't ideal as the printing wears off quickly and are hard to read. You need the dice. Get the dice. I can't wait for the dice as my stickers are suffering horribly.

You could always do some sort of crib sheet stating what each number is equivalent too, but that would slow down gameplay quite a bit.

Oh, those are bad news indeed. If we can't substitute for the common d6, 8, 10 it'll complicate things a lot. For me it takes all the "we designed this game with storytelling in mind", "the game is all about storytelling and roleplaying". It actually is about cards and dice.

Well, but the game isn't out yet, I have't seen the dice yet, there's got to be a way. When it comes out I'll take a look. For me it's important because I travel a lot and always play in different places and always improvising sheets and way to roll dices (played D&D with only d10 many times since a friend of mine only plays Storytelling). This Warhammer looks interesting, a differente take on RPG (I never liked the other Warhammer systems because Attack and Defense are independent, that is, you get your defense roll you're safe no matter what the attack is, this doesn't make sense to me), I am anxious to try it; but if playing it is tied to having the dice, then no.

ledgabriel said:

Well, but the game isn't out yet.

It is (at least in America, rest of the world is waiting for their packages).

ledgabriel said:

I am anxious to try it; but if playing it is tied to having the dice, then no.

As far as I know, symbols that those dice generate are at the mechanic core.

So if You plan to play it as designers intended, then dice, or some stickers will be necessary.

For me it takes all the "we designed this game with storytelling in mind", "the game is all about storytelling and roleplaying". It actually is about cards and dice.

Why is requiring dice with symbols on them any different than requiring dice with numbers on them? You're still required to have dice. WFRP is not a diceless RPG and never has been. WFRP 3e, and its dice pool, *is* more about storytelling and roleplaying than many RPGs I've seen, and you can see that desire from the designers throughout the rulebooks when you read them. As people have said, either get some stickers or make a crib sheet to convert numbers to symbols. You could do either of those, or just buy some WFRP dice.

dvang said:

Why is requiring dice with symbols on them any different than requiring dice with numbers on them?

Because dice with numbers on them are a lot easier to find, practically anyone has D6's around somewhere, and anyone who plays RPG may have a d10 or a d20, but not the symbol dice. The same goes for buying it.

After all.. is the game out or no yet? Amazon has it for pre-order... lengua.gif

ledgabriel said:

After all.. is the game out or no yet? Amazon has it for pre-order... lengua.gif

The game is out.
America has it.
FFG sold all of their copies, and making additional prints (as I heard).
Europe is waiting for their packages.

Amazon did impossible sending me my Liber Chaotica copy in ONE day (I ordered on 25, release was 26 and I had it in my hands on 27 in EUROPE).
They surely have some pact with chaos gods.

Sunatet said:

ledgabriel said:

The game is out.
America has it.
FFG sold all of their copies, and making additional prints (as I heard).
Europe is waiting for their packages.

Australia has it in dribs and drabs, My FLGS has it ($160 AUD!!!), although the place I pre-ordered it from says they are getting it end of this week.

EDIT - to put that dollar value into perspective, it would be about 148 US Dollars or 98 Euro.

If you can play D&D w/ only d10's, you can play this game with numeric dice.

But, it would be annoying and fairly lame. D&D on a 2d10 base instead of 1d20 sorta works out, just gives you a curve for die results... this game would involve a LOT of getting used to nonsense tables of numerals on colored dice. I don't recommend it.

The even shorter version is this: Even if you could play this game with standard dice, you'd still most of the various other components the box contains. You can never just decide to play it by grabbing some character sheets off the netIf you don't have the box with you, you won't be playing the game.

In other words: Keep your dice with the rest of your game, and you should be good.

Terwox said:

If you can play D&D w/ only d10's, you can play this game with numeric dice.

But, it would be annoying and fairly lame. D&D on a 2d10 base instead of 1d20 sorta works out, just gives you a curve for die results... this game would involve a LOT of getting used to nonsense tables of numerals on colored dice. I don't recommend it.

Funny you say that, I actually use 2d10 for D&D, not an accentuated curve as 3d6 but not a flat line as 1d20, I find it great.

froo said:

Australia has it in dribs and drabs, My FLGS has it ($160 AUD!!!), although the place I pre-ordered it from says they are getting it end of this week.

EDIT - to put that dollar value into perspective, it would be about 148 US Dollars or 98 Euro.

I can buy it here in Brazil for aronud R$ 330,00 IF I find it...... it's about US188,00... preocupado.gif

arscott said:

The even shorter version is this: Even if you could play this game with standard dice, you'd still most of the various other components the box contains. You can never just decide to play it by grabbing some character sheets off the netIf you don't have the box with you, you won't be playing the game.

In other words: Keep your dice with the rest of your game, and you should be good.

I actually think the game would be just fine without the cards (maybe sub-optimal), but I think you could run a game in a pinch with just the character sheets and the dice. Once you have a sense of the cards, you can quickly arbitrate what two banes means on an attack, and so on. Again, not ideal, but doable in a pinch.