Splits and 6 control cards

By Smazzurco, in UFS General Discussion

Did FFG officialy announce a removal of Split card types?

How about 6 control foundations? Or anything 6 control other than characters?

Also since it's been the current theme, to make sure nothing is read into what i am saying (caps for emphasis)

I AM ABSOLUTELY OK WITH THERE BEING NO SPLIT CARDS. I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THEM. IF THEY WANT TO REINTRODUCE THEM AGAIN THAT IS OK TOO. (please just no 5 control 3dif 3m5 attacks

as far as 6 checks, i am excited to see characters being played in decks again. I would prefer to never see a 6 check non-character card, but maybe like a 2/6 blank foundation with no block(a la carefree) could work...but ya rather not see it.

This is a curiosity question, not a OMGDESIGNERSEPICPHAILWHATARETHEYDOIN question.

Nix the 6s on anything but Characters. I fully approve of Characters being the best checks and usually the best blocks you can have in a deck. I also fully approve of attacks being significantly better blocks then foundations.

I would not like to see splits come back as Foundation/Attacks, which where the only variety that really messed things up in my parts. Seeing Foundation/Actions where the action is a more powerful/cheaper one-shot of the foundation ability, or Asset/Foundations where the foundation is a weaker and cheaper version of the asset I think would be awesome and fine.

I would like to see utility attacks with a CC of 4 come back. Stuff that has lame printed stats but can help build combo potential, or stuff that buffs your nect attack if it deals damage/isn't blocked.

As far as your question (and as far as I know) there has never been an official announcement concerning either of these. Making a card like Carefree is pretty close to an unofficial statement concerning the 6-check foundations though.

I'm with ROTBI in that Carefree was the unofficial death sentence for 6-check foundations. We may see an action that flips a 6, but it'll likely have a corner-case effect.

I was never a big fan of splits (they were very hit-or-miss and caused too many rules/design headaches, IMHO), so I'm not gonna shed any tears if they go the way of the dinosaur, but they were rather unique to UFS .

Chill the **** out, I even mentioned the possibility of bringing back split cards myself more than once, and recently at that. Chain of over-reactions, go

I'm probably the only one that liked Clones' foundation side more than it's attack side.

Tagrineth said:

Chill the **** out, I even mentioned the possibility of bringing back split cards myself more than once, and recently at that. Chain of over-reactions, go

Who's over-reacting?

ROTBI said:

Tagrineth said:

Who's over-reacting?

Seriously. Tag, bro...the last several posts i've seen from you have been waaaay Aggro. Please remember that Aggro is a playstyle in this game, not a Post-Style. gran_risa.gif

No one here, is over-reacting. In fact, i daresay, that to a one on this particular thread, we are all very impressed with the work James and Steve has been doing; it's a complete Reversal in the direction this game was headed, and that's a _very_ good_ thing!.

I think this topic stems from an overflow of excitement as to what the next Set is going to be, and what new tool-box of goodies we're gonna have to play with. I mean, blanking foundations just took on a whole new aspect in this game. Taki, actually generates blank foundations, and now it's a Tempo mechanic more than a Control mechanic (as it is with Rasho). Crazy delicious, yo!!!

Seriously, i'm crazy excited for the next Set, too, so a little vision-casting about what might be reintroduced is to be excpected and encouraged. And, make no mistake here...older cards ARE being re-introduced...anyone else besides me notice that the E on Waterfall is Deceptive Look 4.0??

ROTBI said:

Tagrineth said:

Who's over-reacting?

He is. No idea where all that aggression came from. If splits make it back, so be it. But they're hard to balance, so don't expect too many of them.

ROTBI said:

Tagrineth said:

Who's over-reacting?

Tag

I said chain of over-reactions, that would imply that my own post was part of said chain. >_>;

The Carefree argument is where I'd put my money, I doubt anything like Loving Devotion will come out, and thats fine, I'm really happy with the way things are spread right now. Split attacks are meh, Clones got stupid immediately, I know that there are some that were good, but the having attack sides undermined a lot of potentially good foundations by putting them at a 3CC max, there's an Adon4 one that comes to mind personally. But...

ZOMG!!!! YZDERNOMORFNSPLITZITSALLOVEROGODWEGOTTADOSOMETHIN!!!!

The reason why split attacks don't exist is the reason why attacks such as Backhanded Axe Slash, The Boot, and Upper Claw do exist.

even though clones was way too cheap i liked splits. they added versatility and made it so 2 mediocre cards could be combined for something better. i hope 6 check foundations stay gone though.

You know what a really good split card was? Pirate from Ryukyu.

Wait a minute TripsEX, the most handsome man on the planet, I never played that card!

If you built a deck off the GOOD symbol back in the day, you most certainly did.

17.jpg

Why is this card was really good to play, and really good in balancing?

Like all split cards, it had two purposes, clearly a Foundation or an Action with this one. The main focus on both sides of the card was the same, damage bonus. You could even get an anti-discard ability out of the Foundation side if you needed it. This was a really, good, card. Even Maxi, although never played, got in on it.

You still haven't explained how it's balanced though!

Take a look at the card. Splits were popular because they versatile, and could be used in more situations if needed. Taking a look solely at damage bonus abilities; the foundation had a reusable ability that granted only +2 damage on a commit, where the action was a one-shot +3 when needed. This is pretty fair on both sides of the ball, considering the difficulty of the action side was only 1. Another thing is the lack of the block on the card. You're trading defense for a little more versatility, and I think that's good if you want to keep this card from being another version of Absurd Strength.

This is how splits should be done, and NEVER with attacks. Do the same thing on both sides, and only have an action side.

TripsEX said:

Like all split cards, it had two purposes, clearly a Foundation or an Action with this one. The main focus on both sides of the card was the same, damage bonus. You could even get an anti-discard ability out of the Foundation side if you needed it. This was a really, good, card. Even Maxi, although never played, got in on it.

I played Maxi for giggles mostly, and yeah that card was balls in him. Free damage is always good.