Custom Heralds

By dkw, in Fan Creations

The 1 re: upkeep is brutal! Too brutal actually :'/ because it's 33% odds of devouring with Yog. Make it so that it's rolled during the mythos phase for investigators in the first area of the Other Worlds (the second area would be even scarier, but, you'd have to address find gate).

And of course all your fixes would work fine also ;') Especially all investigators must discard a gate.

How about that, and +five doom, I guess what I'm a bit worried about is if the DH awakens, the doom track's going to be so high no one will bother to kill it because you're practically at final combat already. There needs to be incentive to kill it (i.e. penalties for not killing it).

Gtg.

A cult that focuses on money. Took me quite a while to find a decent picture for this one. Hope you like it.

New World Industries

This one turns "old" Hastur into new Hastur.

Brotherhood of the Yellow Sign

This one turns old Cthulhu into new Cthulhu.

The Cult of Starry Wisdom

In Herbew mythology, Lilith was the first wife of Adam. Lovecraft made use of the myth in The Horror of Red Hook . The Tenements are a location in Aylesbury on the new Lovecraft Country Horror map I am working on. You can use the Train Station in their absence.

This Herald should work particularly well with Magnum Innomandium or Mordiggan.

Lilith

Julia said:

Not so sure it's the toughest ever ::laughter:: As for the trophies... it's very likely to have some characters jump into the Dunwich portals at the beginning of the game, even if they don't have clues to seal them. Just to try desperately to keep Dunwich under control. So, basically it's 5 free gate trophies that can possibly turn into instant Blessings and breaking the game quite easily. The alternative could be: "whenever a gate is closed in Dunwich, return it to the bottom of the gate pile". In this way, we avoid exploiting the too many trophies thing, and we keep the locations working as usual. Would this be better for you? Avi, thoughts?

I think I like this second version better. "All Gates in Dunwich are endless." It avoid the game breaking but does not close opportunities.

best

Jake,

your heralds are very nice. Short and efficient ! Good Job.

amikezor said:

I think I like this second version better. "All Gates in Dunwich are endless." It avoid the game breaking but does not close opportunities.

best

Yeah, that's what the final draft will be about. I'll post it later :-) thx for the feedback

Ok, revised edition of the Shapeless Mouths.

Some changes: now you're allowed to spend the gate trophies as normal, but you cannot gain trophies from the gates in Dunwich. Besides, you add a doom token to the doom track on a 4-6 (this should grant longer games, the DH awakening is a +1.5, which means no game over, even if you should better not underevaluate the threat) and if the AO wakes up with the Horror in play, it's a +5 for his doom track.

Again, feedback's very welcome

The-Shapeless-Mouths-Front-Face-1.png

Trunembra.jpg

Tru'nembra appeared in the Lovecraft story, "The Music of Erich Zann," though I don't think it was named or given an official role in the Mythos until later. I notice that another player has posted an AO version of Tru'nembra, so it's the players' choice whether to use the Angel of Music as a Herald or an AO.

jeremyj621 said:

Trunembra.jpg

Tru'nembra appeared in the Lovecraft story, "The Music of Erich Zann," though I don't think it was named or given an official role in the Mythos until later. I notice that another player has posted an AO version of Tru'nembra, so it's the players' choice whether to use the Angel of Music as a Herald or an AO.

I really liked the picture and the first ability ;') (The other ability is good thematically, but I don't like it in terms of its effects on game strategy at all).

This was my first Herald, but give it to me straight. I wanna know how bad it is. This is after modification from play-testing.

Inspired by MarbleHornets and the SomethingAwful forums. Slender-Man-Front-Face.png

Slender-Man-Front-Face-1.png Slender-Man-Back-Face.png

RafeRavel said:

This was my first Herald, but give it to me straight. I wanna know how bad it is. This is after modification from play-testing.

Inspired by MarbleHornets and the SomethingAwful forums. Slender-Man-Front-Face.png

Slender-Man-Front-Face-1.png Slender-Man-Back-Face.png

It's okay (meaning I think it'd add to the game's theme and challenge). I don't think it's bad. It's just not quite to my taste (and I made an AO that does the stalker effect, kind of). Personally, printing out monster chits is not to my taste, but others don't mind it. I probably would have just prefered to modify the dimensional shamblers and gave them altered statistics so they do what you want Slender Man to do.

Here are a few things I'd do differently (that aren't just a matter of personal preference, I think). There are hardly any maniacs, dump that last paragraph and make it so that if the AO's worshippers are Cultists, they gain nightmarish 2 instead. Other than that, I think everything's fine. Welllllll... I would reduce text a lot (only use two of the bold headings, three at most, but I'd aim for two). Change the line "place the Slender Man on this sheet" to "Slender Man returns here if defeated in combat."

Also, clarifying how the additional movement type as stalkers works is important (i.e. how does it work with flyers, and yellow bordered monsters). You should clarify your intent there.

Nice overall. Good job. Keep posting new ones ^^.

I don't quite understand what Slender Man's Reach implies. Unstable are defined by gate opening locations, so what is the point of pretending stable location are unstable ??

It is time consuming to search the mythos deck for a wood gate. I'd go for "ignore the gate location and open a gate in the woods whatever there is on the mythos card".

best

amikezor said:

I don't quite understand what Slender Man's Reach implies. Unstable are defined by gate opening locations, so what is the point of pretending stable location are unstable ??

It is time consuming to search the mythos deck for a wood gate. I'd go for "ignore the gate location and open a gate in the woods whatever there is on the mythos card".

Maybe I'm missing the point, but I think it means that Stalkers can follow you anywhere now, rather than letting you hide in the General Store. I agree with your sentiments on the Mythos card.

Ugh? Stalkers only follow you in unstable locations?

amikezor said:

Did someone just get caught playing something wrong for years? ;')

amikezor said:

According to DH rulebook, pag 7, yes, they may not enter stable locations

Interesting... this is only mentioned in the diagram (which I did not looked at). Funny. Though, it won't change so much. I don't think I was ever *really* bothered by stalker monsters. Anyway, good to know ^^.

amikezor said:

Interesting... this is only mentioned in the diagram (which I did not looked at). Funny. Though, it won't change so much. I don't think I was ever *really* bothered by stalker monsters. Anyway, good to know ^^.

If it's any consolation, I made the same mistake for a while. Maybe half a year, a year?

Jake yet again said:

amikezor said:

Maybe I'm missing the point, but I think it means that Stalkers can follow you anywhere now, rather than letting you hide in the General Store. I agree with your sentiments on the Mythos card.

Ugh! And now I feel retarded for letting this float and forgetting about it. :P Anyways, Jake yet again got the nail on the head about the Reach ability. It's to let the stalkers follow you anywhere. And I phrased the Start of Game mythos thingy (not sure how to term it...) based on the Ghroth Herald base from the Strange Eons program.

Also, the Cultists/Maniacs deal has to do with the MarbleHornets Operator character (A Slender Man), and his follower named totheark. I wanted him to have his own personal 'worshipers' regardless of who the AO had. Both monsters fit the concept, but many AO's have cultists as worshipers. The way it's written is to allow Slender Man his own set.

And I apologize if all I'm doing is making myself seem more foolish. :P

Sorry for chiming in late but I wanted to point out that the Reach ability on the Slender Man changing all locations to unstable may have unintended effects. For example the investigators could now use the Naacal Key and a few encounters to relocate gates to previously stable locations and make some unbustable seals since no mythos card will ever open a gate there. This isn't necessarily a bad thing but something you should be aware of. If you want to avoid unintended effects you could phrase the ability more to the tune of "Stalkers treat all locations as unstable for the purpose of movement".

Hmmm... Interestingly, I made a Slender Man Herald as well. It's still a prototype (I made it in about 5 minutes and then pretty much forgot about it until now), and could definitelybenefit from some of the suggestions listed here, but...

slenderman.png

And the Token:

slendermantoken.png

It's not shown here, but the front just shows a Moon symbol, and "--" for the Evade Check.

It's not mentioned here, but defeating the Slender Man Monster allows you to take it as a trophy, negating most of the Herald's effects. There are some other things that need clarification as well. Like I said, it's still unfinished. It was also made a while ago, before I knew about things like Spawn Monsters (Hence "put this Token in the Box").

That said, the real reason I'm at this thread is for advice on this:

nightmarefiend.png

My first attempt using Strange Eons- a herald for a scenario themed around Dante's Divine Comedy :

Charon-Front-Face.jpg

Uhm... some comments. First of all, nice picture :-)

Collector of souls: the risk is you have all your party devoured during set-up. Terror can raise for many and different reasons, and one of those is "it's written on the bloody Mythos card I've just drawn". But the idea of the devouring is good. May I suggest you to change it this way? "Whenever the Terror level raises as consequence of the Outskirts being emptied, all Investigators with no Gate Trophies are devoured. If two or more investigators are devoured, add a doom token to the doom track".

Plus. There are many ideas (potentially all of them are good), but if you want a Herald to be functional, you should focus on ONE of them, and build the Herald around it (once Amikezor said: "Heralds are like papers. One idea = one paper = one Herald", and I think he was right ;-)). So... Outskirts being filled creates something bad. If you want to put pressure on your team, you should think of some tricks to make Outskirts really threatening. Hence, you could lower the monster limit by one, and using the "toll" idea not to have your investigators go LiTaS, but to force monsters in the Outskirts (that's nasty). Like: all investigators exploring the OW must deal with Charon. Whenever an investigator returns to Arkham, he must pay 3$ to Charon to do so. Otherwise he's delayed, moved to R'lyeh 1st area, and a monster (two in 5+ investigator games) is spawned from the gate he originally entered through. Investigators in R'lyeh can return to the gate they originally entered in without paying Charon"

Now you should have a really threatening OW journey, and Outskirts ARE a major problem