Custom Heralds

By dkw, in Fan Creations

amikezor said:

nice herald Avi. It makes final battle very tough, as if it was not enough for some AO :-).

picture is great too.

Thanks :') It's sort of an alternative to The Arbiter (plus a Yog herald, I won't say primarily because it actually goes pretty well with any AO, especially weaker base game AOs, makes for a more exciting final combat against them, whereas The Arbiter just runs investigators through a shredder).

The funny thing about the picture is it actually looked kind of dorky in its original form ;') but I tweaked it a little.

OK so I've been wanting to try out a herald like this for a while now and this herald is far from done but enough for a proof of concept. I'd like opinions and any critique of potential problems. Avi I already know you don't like stuff with extra components. lengua.gif

The-Pit-of-the-Shoggoth-Front-Face.png

These are just samples the finished product would have more.

Card-Deck-1.png

It looks cool ;') too bad it's using additional components. You might want to clarify that monsters that appear from encounters there stay. Unless you don't intend them to.

I do not mind extra components and even like them when they add some aesthetism or cool things to play with. It looks very nice. How many encounters do you plan to have (I'd say you can have 3 per encounter cards, easy, medium, tough) and have something (eg the number of monsters there ? the terror level ? ) that choose for you where to read. anyway sounds good. I'd be happy to test the final version.

Two new Heralds:

The-Crawling-Chaos-Front-Face.jpg

The Crawling Chaos was designed primarily to get more use out of the Mask monsters if Nyarlathotep isn't the Ancient One. It even works well if he IS the AO for the current game.

Restless-Dead-Front-Face.jpg

The Restless Dead functions somewhat like an undead version of the Black Goat of the Woods; you create an undead monster cup instead of a hex monster cup, and activity is centered around the graveyard.

hello jeremy,

I think both your heralds are nice.

The first one is reminicent from a previous one also called "the crawling chaos" with the same picture (you'll have to scan the threads for it :-). The major default is that it only works from base game. If you do not use standard mythos (for example), it has only a minor impact on the game.

As the second one, I like this idea of a second cup. Though, we have been playing thematic cups for all games. Before the game starts, I sort the monsters and build a second cup that depends on the AO, the expansions in play and eventually the herald. When the mythos card indicates a moon (1/3) we draw from the thematic cup, otherwise, we draw from the regular cup. In case of surge, if the mythos has a moon, draw half from regular cup. We think it really improved to specificity and each part of the game and makes sure that the worshippers impact the game (think of the poor Gnoph-Keh from Rhan-Teggoth ;)

@ Jeremy

I think the idea of putting masks in play based on headlines, even when Nyarlathotep isn't the AO, is a pretty fun one. I may incorporate it into some of my games just to get an unexpected mask or two. Perhaps I'll also make it so that the monsters that appear from exhibit cards must be a random mask. I'd probably make Egyptian Exhibit a random mask also.

@ Amikezor :') Happy Birthday! Also, I like your thematic cup idea. I might start doing it when I host a game for other players :')

Avi_dreader said:

@ Amikezor :') Happy Birthday! Also, I like your thematic cup idea. I might start doing it when I host a game for other players :')

it is not my birthday, I certainly just filled out too quickly the form ;) ). But thank you ... Happy to be back around here (after a looooonnnng summer break).

amikezor said:

Avi_dreader said:

it is not my birthday, I certainly just filled out too quickly the form ;) ). But thank you ... Happy to be back around here (after a looooonnnng summer break).

Fix your birthday then ;') Be reborn in the blood of the Tentacle!

It is a tough one but I like it a lot. I like the terror effect simple and efficient enough. Maybe, if terror increased because of a vortex in dunwich it should be double token, should it?

I love the last bit.

cheers

amikezor said:

It is a tough one but I like it a lot. I like the terror effect simple and efficient enough. Maybe, if terror increased because of a vortex in dunwich it should be double token, should it?

I love the last bit.

cheers

Welllll, I'd say the penalty will be bad enough, besides, I don't want to edit the card. I'm glad you enjoyed the last bit. Let me know how it goes if you try the herald :')

Avi_dreader said:

I don't want to edit the card.

::laughter:: as per saying "comments will be appreciated. Positive comments. If there is something you don't like - on something that is correct gamewisely - just keep it for you" ::rofl::

Hey ;') I'm just being honest. And I don't want to add a line of twxt for something as specific (and rare as a Dunwich vortex).

Avi_dreader said:

Hey ;') I'm just being honest. And I don't want to add a line of twxt for something as specific (and rare as a Dunwich vortex).

Yep, I know, just pulling your leg a little (I have something with your legs, either I wish you to break them, or I do pull them ::laughter: :)

You know, you should start *another* League with all the good stuff people have been creating since you started the previous one

I just had an idea for a Herald opening random vortices in Streets area. Not so sure it works. Ok, the hundreth thing I have to work on

Julia said:

Avi_dreader said:

Yep, I know, just pulling your leg a little (I have something with your legs, either I wish you to break them, or I do pull them ::laughter: :)

You know, you should start *another* League with all the good stuff people have been creating since you started the previous one

I just had an idea for a Herald opening random vortices in Streets area. Not so sure it works. Ok, the hundreth thing I have to work on

No Julia, no more Leagues ;') this last one was a huge time commitment, I don't want to make it again :') you'll just have to enjoy the new creations independently (not that I'd worry about that, a lot of the newer stuff is pretty tough).

Avi_dreader said:

No Julia, no more Leagues ;') this last one was a huge time commitment, I don't want to make it again :') you'll just have to enjoy the new creations independently (not that I'd worry about that, a lot of the newer stuff is pretty tough).

Sigh

SOB

STRASOB

(I'll ask you again in a couple of years)

Avi_dreader said:

amikezor said:

Welllll, I'd say the penalty will be bad enough, besides, I don't want to edit the card. I'm glad you enjoyed the last bit. Let me know how it goes if you try the herald :')

Sorry I mispelled it. Here is the point: in the current state, when the terror increases because of a monster in dunwich, it adds 2 tokens to the horror track. Isn't it too severe ?

amikezor said:

Avi_dreader said:

amikezor said:

Sorry I mispelled it. Here is the point: in the current state, when the terror increases because of a monster in dunwich, it adds 2 tokens to the horror track. Isn't it too severe ?

Actually, statistically, it adds 1.5 tokens to the Dunwich Horror track ;'D realistically, it either gets one or two tokens. Two isn't *that* bad. Well. I mean, it is ;'D But, it's intended to make the Dunwich Horror's awakening a real threat (as opposed to the Dunwich Horror herald, which doesn't really do an adequate job at it). Misspelled what? Actually, no, never mind, that bit doesn't matter.

alright, I am convinced (that was easy ^^).

Custom herald, created specially for custom AO which can be found in specific thread.

inevitablefrontface.jpg

same comments that on your institution that is more a guardian than an institution in the end ^^.

And how is this helping the players at all?

MyNeighbourTrololo said:

And how is this helping the players at all?

This is the herald, and it makes it more difficult, no doubt ^^

I was referring to your related institution that is in the end more a guardian than an institution. I'd suspect that institution can be there for the thematic appeal of it and the guardian's purpose is really to alleviate the difficulty.

First draft of some crazy ideas about the corrupting power of knowledge

Not so sure about the picture (it should have been some Guardian of the Library, but I'm afarid is a little too fantasy). Comments, as always, are very welcome :-)

Naqugartha-Front-Face.png