Big sale on UFS

By vermillian2, in UFS General Discussion

MarcoPulleaux said:

I'll never understand your tirade against FFG's non-Canadian-supportive shipping, because if they've clearly never fixed what you view as an issue, I'd simply say accept it as an unfortunate inevitability, and complacency will come with it.

Meh, if I was expecting FFG to do anything about it, I'd have e-mailed them already. But yeah, it's a great deal turned not-so great deal for people outside the US due to customs and UPS.

Also, your comment was balls and you know it. Then again with the way the community's been lately...

Well, I apologize, because yes, it was a pretty direct blow with mal intentions.

I'm sure I'd feel the exact same way if I had to succumb to the circumstances. To me, it just seems like either A: you do absolutely nothing to fix your situation (and then complain about it), or B: there is nothing that can be done (and then you complain about it).

I'd say just try to keep grievances to yourself. As much as I want Path and Stand Off banned, want holos to return, and want spoilers ever single week, I have pretty much chosen to keep quiet about it until the day one, if any of those, every happen (because then when they do, I get to become boisterous and ostentatious, the high point of my day before I go off to day trading, Charles Dickens history, and fencing classes).

Well I've officially stocked up. Guess its time I get off my phanny and start build some decks again and go annoy the guys in Dayton... needs more Mitsurugi.

Shaneth said:

vermillian said:

My problem is that I can barely get people willing to play the game if I give them a few boosters for an entry fee of one dollar... IDK. I havent' really tried. NO TIME!

Mhm, but you have 10 hours a day to play online PC games :)

Give me demo target audience in 20 minute to 1 hour intervals, at random times during the day, that I can get to in a short time such that the time spent getting there doesn't now leave me with no time to demo, and I'm totally there.

That's the thing. I HAVE time its just really random times... like right now. Where do I find people at 10:30pm? (plus I'm tired...)

Besides getting hard-to-find starter exclusives, this sale goes hand-in-hand with promoting the game. Even if you have enough starters, you can always buy more to display or give to noobs. I mean, isn't that where we are right now in UFS history? Trying to get new people into the game? 2 dollar starters, I mean, that's gotta be the easiest way, combined with Fight Life, best 50+ bucks spent anywhere.

Besides from this being a great sale and FFG trying 2 push old product did anyone stop and think that it might just be a way to try and get people new people into the game?

I mean if i could start up a card game that i thought was interesting and didnt have to give out full price to get in i think id wanna try it more

That has the assumption that people that didn't know about the game and were interested in getting in to more than one game (cause you know they're all playing magic, yugi, poke or whatever already), KNOW about this deal. I guess if your theory (player drawing capacity) is assumed, that's OUR job eh?

Homme Chapeau said:

MarcoPulleaux said:

The way I view it:

Where else are you gonna get a playset of Chasing After the Power and Shadow Flare, Reaver's Axe and Relentless, and other cards such as Berserker Rage, Dragon Punch, Autumn's Kiss, Base Hold, and Soul Wave* for 4 bucks a pop?

The way I view it :

Where else will you get boned on shipping to make this deal absolutely not worth your while if you're anywhere except the U.S.?

YES. We all understand that you live in Canada, and you have to pay extra for booster boxes, and shipping takes a little extra longer.

YES. You don't have the money to buy all the cards.

Just ask all the OTHER Canadian players who ***** about all the ******* problems. OH WAIT. THAT'S RIGHT, NO ONE ELSE IN CANADA DOES. People like Antigoth, Loki5K, ...BM.., Link, and the rest of the players who live in Canada don't ***** AT ALL. They are willing to pay extra, willing to wait the extra time, and willing to actually ******* spend money. Don't have a job? Neither do I. ******* deal with it.

Seriously, if UFS is dying in Canada, you're probably a part of the ******* problem.

I think he wants a ******* car, four ******* wheels and a seat

right

now

there's an awful lot of ******* going on in this room.

10 points for anyone who catches the reference.

Erased somewhat trollish answer.

To be serious though... I'd say posts like these do more to damage the community than any sort of whining I've ever done.

Also, I'm expecting Tekken/SCIV2 to have price cuts or be part of sales like the kits around... April/May of next year. With Tekken possibly coming before.

TripsEX said:

Just ask all the OTHER Canadian players who ***** about all the ******* problems. OH WAIT. THAT'S RIGHT, NO ONE ELSE IN CANADA DOES. People like Antigoth, Loki5K, ...BM.., Link, and the rest of the players who live in Canada don't ***** AT ALL. They are willing to pay extra, willing to wait the extra time, and willing to actually ******* spend money.

Just to be clear since my name was invoked - Actually I choose not to participate in this deals. I already own more then sufficent quantities of all the sale product, already have a bunch of it extra. Additionally the shipping & customs charges experienced makes it cost prohibitive to bring it in. However one of our players does have a mailing address south of the border, and will have stuff shipped there, where it then makes it worth while.

So looking at some other stuff on the Holiday sale... and I will probably take advantage of the $5 boardgames.

Antigoth said:

So looking at some other stuff on the Holiday sale... and I will probably take advantage of the $5 boardgames.

If I had a bigger board game playgroup I'd find my sight more on those than the 20$ booster boxes, to be honest.

Antigoth said:

Dude... too much conspiracy. You worry about too much.
:)

I would love get my hands on some of these cards this cheap, but UFS is pretty much dead in my area now. My playgroup was at a sad 5 members for a long time and now after not playing at all in over a month I think its time to call it in. Besides that, the store we play at is closing... But there is a hobby shop close by in which I plan to start playing Magic again. I'll probably still lurk around on here and I'm thinking about still attending future worlds events but eh I dunno. One road leads to another I guess.

Shaneth said:

Antigoth said:

Dude... too much conspiracy. You worry about too much.

Yes sir, I am all about conspiracy :)

I thought you were all about piracy.

Antigoth said:

TripsEX said:

Just ask all the OTHER Canadian players who ***** about all the ******* problems. OH WAIT. THAT'S RIGHT, NO ONE ELSE IN CANADA DOES. People like Antigoth, Loki5K, ...BM.., Link, and the rest of the players who live in Canada don't ***** AT ALL. They are willing to pay extra, willing to wait the extra time, and willing to actually ******* spend money.

Just to be clear since my name was invoked - Actually I choose not to participate in this deals. I already own more then sufficent quantities of all the sale product, already have a bunch of it extra. Additionally the shipping & customs charges experienced makes it cost prohibitive to bring it in. However one of our players does have a mailing address south of the border, and will have stuff shipped there, where it then makes it worth while.

No one said you are participating in the deal...just that you aren't bitching about it :P

Smazzurco said:

No one said you are participating in the deal...just that you aren't bitching about it :P

I'm just saying it's not so sexy a deal if you consider other charges that you folks don't have to pay.

Smazzurco said:

You mean - Not wasting my time. ;)

Homme Chapeau said:

Smazzurco said:

I'm just saying it's not so sexy a deal if you consider other charges that you folks don't have to pay.

and what, if you buy a box at regular price you don't have to pay customs?

You know what i pay in healthcare?

You have a few possible solutions.

1. Move

2. Pay the applicable fees.

3. Go rent a PO Box "south of the border" (wierd to say that and not mean mexico, lol)

4. Do none of the above and quit bitching

5. Trade with me. Ill send you a box, and pay all applicable fees, if you mail me paid to protect x2. I mean come on, you already said you didn't play any of those symbols :P

Smazzurco said:

and what, if you buy a box at regular price you don't have to pay customs?

You know what i pay in healthcare?

You have a few possible solutions.

1. Move

2. Pay the applicable fees.

3. Go rent a PO Box "south of the border" (wierd to say that and not mean mexico, lol)

4. Do none of the above and quit bitching

5. Trade with me. Ill send you a box, and pay all applicable fees, if you mail me paid to protect x2. I mean come on, you already said you didn't play any of those symbols :P

1) Unless he's an American citizen, much easier said then done. You guys are really picky about immigrants.

2) Which depending on how it's shipped become absolutely outragous, and often more then what the product itself cost.

3) Right - UPS doesn't ship to PO boxes.

4) At the same time, I would rather see folks educated about their neighbours to the north. Recently I've had some folks become rather concerned with what needed to be done with shipping to Canada, including filling out the customs declaration form and such.

5) Problem being - while you'll "pay all the applicable fees", He has to pick up the package and pay the fees first, before he can tell you exactly how much he's going to be gouged. Because the gouging is all based on the whims of the CRA.

Seriously - 1 card & UPS wanted to charge me $25 in brokerage fees just to release the envelope to me. (UPS is total highway robbery. If you're sending cross border, go FedEx. Or USPS. )

P.S. While I've not been saying anything... this is one of those issues that drives me to rant.

Antigoth said:

1) Unless he's an American citizen, much easier said then done. You guys are really picky about immigrants.

You have any idea how many people move here a year? I assume he isn't working in canada..so he doesn't need a job/visa/green card here. :P

Smazzurco said:

You have any idea how many people move here a year? I assume he isn't working in canada..so he doesn't need a job/visa/green card here. :P

Do you know how many hours of tired driving I could have avoided if I didn't have a job? I could rest at tournament venues then head home with a rested head.

New York and back in one day is not something I will ever do again ever.

Homme Chapeau said:

I thought you were all about piracy.
:)