Doom $20, Doom Expansion $10, time to buy if you missed!

By shnar, in Doom

I *know*! In fact, it's such a great deal, I'm buying a copy rght now!

-shnar

I've always looked at Doom at the local gaming store. The price tag kind of had me second guessing picking it up, when I saw this go on sale, I immediately spent the cash to pick up the game and the expansion (shipped to Canada, yet still cheaper than the expansion at the local gaming stores). I'm quite excited. Early birthday and christmas present to myself!

I jumped on this.

I hope this isnt a sigh of FFG getting ready to stop DOOM. I've always been impressed with how alive the DOOM community is 5 year after the game was published and 4 years since the last official content release.

I went ahead and bought a second copy. I seriously hope it will be the engraven dice! :)

-shnar

I.B.lurking said:

I jumped on this.

I hope this isnt a sigh of FFG getting ready to stop DOOM. I've always been impressed with how alive the DOOM community is 5 year after the game was published and 4 years since the last official content release.

Oh, they've already stopped Doom (hence the inability to get replacement dice), and they're just trying to clear out their warehouse. Would've made more money just ebaying it though ;)

-shnar

2010 will mark the 5th Anniversary of the original game's release. I expect 5 years would be a typical contract length for a licensed game like this.

Its a real shame that we probably wont see anything more of Doom, but I guess this how old gems come about. I'm getting abit worried about my order tho, I ordered on the 25 and its still on "Pending Invoice Creation". With the expansion out of stock, I hope there wasn't a problem.

IB I believe that the studio was closed thursday and friday, with all orders being placed wednesday onwards being filed on monday. As for the out of stock, I'm pretty sure in their computer system they have a finite quantity available and even without the invoices created that number should decrease to reflect reality. I have the same status for my order that was placed wednesday afternoon. Hope this helps settle the nerves a bit, if you check the status on monday it should probably update as an invoice is created.

Ah! That does go a long way to calming my fears, thank you Scott!

I agree that Doom is probably on the way out and they are clearing their stock. But I wouldn't be too upset- I think that Gears of War will replace it in their lineup. I don't think Gears will have the same mechanics as Doom/Descent, but something closer to Space Hulk- a much faster playing tactical boardgame.

It is based on someone else's IP though, and looking at Doom, that might not be a good thing :/

Also, I haven't seen any previews of Gears yet, how do we know it's going to be anything like Doom?

-shnar

IB just another FYI. My order that I had previously spoke about is in a "Pending Shipping stage at the moment" It had just changed from "pending invoice creation" so you should have nothing to worry about! You'll have to let me know how you like the game when it gets in!

Doom Expansion is now sold out and Doom is now $25.

I am glad I got mine when I did.

My order is now "pending shipping" so It feels like things are moving along now. Still haven't taken the money from my account, so it feels like FFG could tell me there has been a misstake and they can't send me the expansion. I'm probably worried over notthing, but its just b/c I'm really looking forword to get it.

Last game I tryed with my game group was Arkham Horror. While my grouped really did liked it, a few thing keep it from seeing alot of play. First and formost is the games HUGE "foot print". 2. it can be rather unsatisfying to kill mobs, ok you just killed 6 mobs in a row, but how much of that is due to to you two Enchanted Blade's, rather that you being smart in the way you play(plus the game doesnt get put off and a very satisfying way lengua.gif ).

I see that FFG has got a Gears of wars game in the works, and that game could end up be very cool ( I've played through both 1 and 2 a few times). I dont like the theme as much as Doom. Went did demon's coming from hell to kill Everthing get boring?!?!

Now that I thinking of it you know what sounds really cool? A Delta Green or system shock board game.... man that would be sweet. Anyway, anyone got some tip on how to introduce this game to my group?

I got an email today saying it was shipped, complete with UPS tracking number :)

Got me a 2nd copy of Doom and Expansion, as well as those Descent Figs. Also picked up Cave Troll for the killer $10 :)

-shnar

Anyone know if these are the engraved dice or the previous ones? My copy should be in on tuesday, but I'm way curious about what ones are in the box.

I managed to get a copy of the base game during the sale but the expansion was out of stock by time i got to it. Upon receiving the game however, I quickly added it to the x-mas list (by which I mean immediately ordering it gui%C3%B1o.gif ). I can't believe I hadn't checked out this game before it's ridiculously fun and the campaign style game play is great. It's also a great contrast to my other two FFG games, Arkham Horror and Chaos in the Old World since I now have a game that pits the players against each other, against the game, and now against one other player.

Got Doom and the expansion today, came with engraved dice, a tiny demon army,and a chunk of a forest in the form of cardboard. The marines movement is very similer to how movement is handled in D&D, so Im sure that my friends will grasp the way the game works quickly. Im VERY excited about my game night with friends later this week!

I do have a few questions, 1) Can playing as the ip be just as tense as playing maries, or do you get a "feel" from being the ip? 2) Should I just stick with the expansion ip deck? I've heard its more enjoyable and balanced the the original deck. 3) should our first game be the online scenario be the "Blood in the Shadows? Any other tip for the first game would be greatly appreciated!

IB I'm glad your copies arrived. I can't really answer all your questions, but I'd highly recommend using both decks, although the one might be more enjoyable, if you start with the base game I'm sure you'll think it's fun then when you do make that switch it'll add that oomf to your game. I wouldn't necessarly just use the one without the other. Maybe let the least experienced player pick depending on the card back.

Hope you enjoy it!

I'm honestly not sure how the two decks compare. I do like playing as the Invader, but also as a Marine. The Invader gets a "you'll never win, muhahaha" feel, even though the marines do win from time to time.

And yes, I'd recommend the online scenario first. The first scenarios sometimes can turn a player off, since it can be difficult for new players. And the last thing you want to do is turn your friends off of Doom. It's a great, challenging game, let them enjoy and play for years to come :)

-shnar

Nooooooooh, I missed out on the deal and I'm still missing the expansion!

Is there any place I could get it for a reasonable price?

I missed out on this too any chance you could find more in a closet somewhere? happy.gif

Coolstuffinc still has a couple copies of the expansion for about $33 if you're still looking for the game. I know it's not as good as the $10 deal but it's still a good deal happy.gif .

www.coolstuffinc.com/main_boardGame.php