hunch cards and setup

By Pole2, in Android

The setup rules say to select a number of suspects one greater than the number of players. The setup rules also say to shuffle the hunch cards for the suspects in the game and deal one to each player.

That means one guilty hunch and one innocent hunch will not be used, right? It's possible then that nobody will have the corresponding guilty hunch for the guilty suspect? (and similar for the innocent hunch)

Are the extra hunches returned to the box without being seen? (So, nobody knows what the unused cards are?)

No, every player will have a guilty and innocent hunch card that matches the available suspects.

Let's say you are doing Murder on the Midway with 3 players. The suspects used for that game would be Noise, Thomas, Sgt. Dejah, Mark.

You would then take the guilty and innocent cards for these 4 suspects, shuffle each respective pile, and then give each player one guilty and one innocent card. There is no pre-determined murderer. The suspect who has the most evidence gathered against them at the end of the game is found guilty.

Whichever player has this suspect as their "Guilty hunch" receives the victory points for it. Conversely, all the other suspects are (because they have had less evidence gathered against them) innocent, so each player with a corresponding "innocent hunch" card would receive those victory points.

Yes, the two unused cards would be returned to the box without revealing them.

Don't listen to Tsugo - he didn't read the question properly. lengua.gif

Yes, it's possible that no one scores for their guilty hunch at the end of the game: if the suspect with the highest guilt is the guilty hunch that was not dealt out.

It's not possible that no one will score for their innocent hunch. At worst, only one player may not score their innocent hunch.

Do not return the unused guilty/innocent hunches to the box. Keep them near the murder sheets. I'm pretty certain there is at least one card that allows players to look at them.

Bleached Lizard said:

Don't listen to Tsugo - he didn't read the question properly. lengua.gif

Yes, it's possible that no one scores for their guilty hunch at the end of the game: if the suspect with the highest guilt is the guilty hunch that was not dealt out.

It's not possible that no one will score for their innocent hunch. At worst, only one player may not score their innocent hunch.

Do not return the unused guilty/innocent hunches to the box. Keep them near the murder sheets. I'm pretty certain there is at least one card that allows players to look at them.

True, I'll admit that it's possible for the guilty suspect to be one that does not match any players' guilty card. I answered this way, not because of misreading the question, but from experience. In every game of Android I've played, this has never happened, but I could see how it could.

The players would have to be playing pretty...strangely...to find guilty a suspect whom none of them actually wanted to be guilty. Maybe if everyone kept placing alibis and surprise witnesses on each other's hunches, the last dude might end up being guilty by default, but, yeah, it's definitely unlikely.

Blaine has the card that lets him look at (and exchange for) an unused hunch card.