Those crazy Winds of Magic...

By dvang, in WFRP House Rules

One of the fun things that I liked about 1st edition Magic was the variable of the Winds of Magic.

I haven't played 3e enough to know if this is a useful idea, but it certainly sounds interesting when I thought it up just now. Details are a bit sketchy, and will probably need some refinement, but how about something like this:

What about having a "winds of magic" phase either at the start of combat or at the start of each round of combat?

Roll one [W] and one to see how powerful the "Winds of Magic" are. (Ooo, fortune vs misfortune Deathmatch!)

*S* - The Winds of Magic are Very strong. All Spellcraft and Channeling checks reduce their <P> by one.

*B* - The Winds of Magic are stronger than normal. All Spellcraft and Channeling checks gain [W]

{C} - The Winds of Magic are a feeble trickle. All Spellcraft and Channeling checks gain a <P>

{B} - The Winds of Magic are diminished. All Spellcraft and Channeling checks gain a

Obviously, if they cancel each other out or both roll {N}, the Winds are normal and there is no change.

Alternately, if the <P> are too much, maybe make it [WW] and [bB]?

I don't know if this is something I would even do ... but it was an idea that struck me as I was thinking of all the interesting things that the 3e dice pool can do. Kinda cool, IMO!

dvang said:

One of the fun things that I liked about 1st edition Magic was the variable of the Winds of Magic.

I haven't played 3e enough to know if this is a useful idea, but it certainly sounds interesting when I thought it up just now. Details are a bit sketchy, and will probably need some refinement, but how about something like this:

What about having a "winds of magic" phase either at the start of combat or at the start of each round of combat?

Roll one [W] and one to see how powerful the "Winds of Magic" are. (Ooo, fortune vs misfortune Deathmatch!)

*S* - The Winds of Magic are Very strong. All Spellcraft and Channeling checks reduce their <P> by one.

*B* - The Winds of Magic are stronger than normal. All Spellcraft and Channeling checks gain [W]

{C} - The Winds of Magic are a feeble trickle. All Spellcraft and Channeling checks gain a <P>

{B} - The Winds of Magic are diminished. All Spellcraft and Channeling checks gain a

Obviously, if they cancel each other out or both roll {N}, the Winds are normal and there is no change.

Alternately, if the <P> are too much, maybe make it [WW] and [bB]?

I don't know if this is something I would even do ... but it was an idea that struck me as I was thinking of all the interesting things that the 3e dice pool can do. Kinda cool, IMO!

Yeah, I liked that idea too.

But I wouldn't go as far, as to remove <P> dice from check just by simple wind is strong at the moment.

There are many factors that can affect the magic wind.
Following Liber Fanatica (I think it was Liber fanatica, not sure, but I'm at work right now, so I can't check) way its: weather, season, time of day, day of week, specific day in year, place the mage is in, additional sources that support the chosen wind, random factors etc.

Considering all that I would start with some minor factors like "weather or something" and follow them to "many of the above are in play"

- add/remove additional power/favor point in case of some minor positive/negative factor

- add/remove one less recharge token in case of some medium positive/negative factor

- add/remove one fortune [W] die in case of strong positive/negative factor

- remove/add one challenge <P> die in case of very strong positive/negative factor

- add/remove expertise [Y] die in case of many strong positive/negative factors

You can also mix, and graduate the above to get desired effect, or effects (like for example there is sunny hot summer day in the watery swamp, so your aqshy wind spells will add [W] die to the roll, because of hot sunny weather, but the swamp takes it toll, and you generate less power, or something like that).

Ah... I like the idea of the power points. Perhaps reduce/increase the power cost of a spell? Is that more powerful than getting a [W]? I wasn't sure of the <P>, as that did seem like a pretty big change in either direction. The question is, should success/challenge provide a [W]/ and boon/bane reduce/increase power cost by 1 ... or vice versa. I would think that the [W]/ is a bit more powerful ... but power costs could be very powerful too. Hmm.

dvang said:

Ah... I like the idea of the power points. Perhaps reduce/increase the power cost of a spell? Is that more powerful than getting a [W]? I wasn't sure of the <P>, as that did seem like a pretty big change in either direction. The question is, should success/challenge provide a [W]/ and boon/bane reduce/increase power cost by 1 ... or vice versa. I would think that the [W]/ is a bit more powerful ... but power costs could be very powerful too. Hmm.

No idea which is stronger.

But since WFRP is in stores now, I should get my box in a week, or two (europe here lengua.gif ), so I will know that in a while, and then.. demonio.gif

Can't individual colors also be stronger/weaker at times or in specific areas? Such as the beast and life winds will be stronger in natural/wild areas, celestial will be weaker when the sky is overcast, etc. Just something to consider, you may not want to change everything at once, but only certain colors.

Now, that is a thought. You could have a "color wheel" that rotates and cycles through the different winds.