Lethal Fighting Style + Gut Drill

By Smazzurco, in UFS Rules Q & A

58.jpg 99.jpg

So if i First F with Lethal Fighting and name Gut Drill, then if my opponent discards gut drill, and has no other cards in hand, they cannot play it, correct?

Well, they are discarded it due to a Cost, so i would say no. Same with the Financial Troubles ruling where anti discard doesn't work with that

rC( -_- ) said:

Well, they are discarded it due to a Cost, so i would say no. Same with the Financial Troubles ruling where anti discard doesn't work with that

I think you might of misunderstood.

If gut drill is their only card in hand, and i make them discard it with another effect. Then gut drill's static triggers and allows them to play it, but at this time they have no cards in hand to discard as the additional cost from LFS, so they cannot play it. Sad panda places Gut Drill into discard pile and i live another day.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work but...

Smazzurco said:

rC( -_- ) said:

I think you might of misunderstood.

If gut drill is their only card in hand, and i make them discard it with another effect. Then gut drill's static triggers and allows them to play it, but at this time they have no cards in hand to discard as the additional cost from LFS, so they cannot play it. Sad panda places Gut Drill into discard pile and i live another day.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work but...

:-O sorry :D but yea..they shouldn't be able to play it since they have no more cards in hand. Since gut drill's static says it is "Played" they would have to discard an additional card.

Sorry for misunderstanding the first time :P

wait.. In some discussions you are able to discard a card even if you do not have cards in hand... Can we get the rulers point on this one?

Mordai said:

wait.. In some discussions you are able to discard a card even if you do not have cards in hand... Can we get the rulers point on this one?

Well you can discard ZERO cards if you have none in hand. But you can't negate Financial Troubles or pay the cost for Lethal Fighting Style without a card in hand

Zero cards come into play with Omar, Sacrifices for the Cause, etc

Yea..the whole discarding 0 cards thing only comes into effect when you have to "Discard any number of cards" or "Discard X cards" or "Discard your hand" or something like that. Not when you have to discard 1 card to negate an effect or pay a cost when something specifically asks to discard a card

AGR says "Costs are not optional", so that solves the dilemma, doesn't it?

If you must discard 1 card as an additional cost, but have no more cards, tough luck... you can't play the card because you can't pay the additional cost.

i think people may have forgotten that gut drill is being played from its discard effect so if you suddenly cant pay all the costs to play it it continues in being discarded

Ziephnir said:

i think people may have forgotten that gut drill is being played from its discard effect so if you suddenly cant pay all the costs to play it it continues in being discarded

Okay so here's the problem.

If the Gut Drill counts as being discarded first, THEN played per its effect, it is being played from the discard pile, not from the hand... in which case, it would NOT incur Lethal Fighting Style's effect (re-read LFS... it says "play from hand").

I'm pretty sure this is the case (see also: Big Cyclone v. Awakening).

Tagrineth said:

Okay so here's the problem.

If the Gut Drill counts as being discarded first, THEN played per its effect, it is being played from the discard pile, not from the hand... in which case, it would NOT incur Lethal Fighting Style's effect (re-read LFS... it says "play from hand").

I'm pretty sure this is the case (see also: Big Cyclone v. Awakening).

Words... they escape me.