Unit Cost System

By The Grandfather, in Tide of Iron

I was wondering if there is a Unit Cost System out there for TOI.

The kind of system you use whan improvising a scenario. Say, Germans and Americans got 1.000 points oeach to shop units and strategy cards and off they go to war.

Unfortunately, you have to take into account who is defending, attacking, what terrain is used, and the conditions of the scenario. If you are thinking of a slug fest, until the last man is standing, the differences are solely with the tanks (since the machineguns only differ by a point). For tanks, I usually alot 2 Shermans per Tiger, 1.5 Shermans per Panzer IV. So far, it seems pretty balance as far as tanks match up.

Hi

For "free-for-all" games, I base forces losely around the organizations given in the Flames of War books. Their points system is more or less balanced.

As has been said already, for a completely balanced game, you would need to have the same terrain for both sides, and the same strategy card decks.

For games where one side is defending, I use a points ratio of 1.5 to 1 up to 2 to 1, depending on the terrain.

Mostly though I play scenarios from the game itself or from the website, or I convert ASL scenarios (which works surprisingly well).

Klaus

KlausFritsch said:

...I convert ASL scenarios (which works surprisingly well).

Klaus

Neat. I would love to see some of these ASL conversions I've heard about on rare occasions.

Hi

Actually, I cannot show you any conversions... instead of converting the ASL scenarios, I worked out a simple conversion from ASL counters to ToI units and play the scenarios as they are on enlarged ASL maps...

Klaus

Could you give us an example of a conversion? Just a quick summary would be OK. For example, do you give the various units differing strengths, or do you make them all generic "infantry" or "elite infatry." Converting ASL scenarios is something I've considered for a bit but didn't think it would work out that well...

Hi

I use a very rough conversion.

1st line squads are 3 regular, one elite. They might get a nice card if the scenario description allows it.

2nd line squads are 4 regular. They might get a bad card if the scenario description requires it.

Elite squads are 2 regular, 2 elite. They probably also get a nice card.

Special forces squads such as LRDG, SAS, paratroopers and the like are 3 elite, 1 regular. They also get a nice card and probably a second.

Conscripts are 4 regular with one or two not-so-nice cards.

I group half-squads together to make full squads as far as possible, as there are no half squads in ToI (yet). I am playing with the idea of using squads with only 2 minis as "gun crews", but have not tried that yet.

Then I distribute support weapons, for now ignoring light mortars and treating 60mm mortars as ToI mortars (which probably represent 80mm mortars). I made some rules up for light machine guns. Some support weapons, such as flamethrowers or bazookas, are converted into specialization tokens.

If the range on the ASL counter is particularly short, I use SMG figures for the whole squad.

Leaders are also distributed to the squads as officers.

Vehicles and guns are converted to the next best approximation in ToI or have stats made up for them.

I have noticed that it might be necessary to add one turn to the game length given in ASL scenarios. Somehow, troops seem to be a little (but not much) slower in ToI.

Klaus

Awesome. I'll have to try that out. Thanks!

Really interesting!

We might have to try that out.

Hey guys! I'm new to the forums, but I've been lurking for some time to see if Tide of Iron is the game for me. Recently, I found this thread on the old message boards that is about points costs for non-scenario battles. Has anyone given it a shot to see if it'll work?

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffgforums/posts/list/1245.page