New Monster lizardmen

By amrowe1999, in WFRP House Rules

With the release of the system not far i thought it might be time to share some new monsters. I have been starting to work on these guys and thought i would share them for you. With that I give you some Lizardmen to try out.

Skink

St - 3(2)

To - 2(2)

Ag - 5(1)

Int - 3[w]

Wp - 3

Fel - 3

A/C/E - 2/4/0

Wound - 9

Stance - C1

Saurus

St - 6[w](5)

To - 6[w](3)

Ag - 3(2)

Int - 2

Wp - 2

Fel - 2

A/C/E - 5/2/3

Wound - 15

Stance - R2

I have also been tinkering with some ideas on making a grey seer for the skaven but that is still to come. Please rip these to shreds with testing and critisizm.

they look about right. only things i would change are with the skink:

1.the soak value should be 1 not 2 not a big difference but skinks have little to no defence (a shield at most) they do not even have a strong, tough hide.

2. i would probaly lower the wounds of them down to 7 or 8. I was looking and i remember seeing a chaod marader with 12 wounds are they are quite a bit tougher. once again that is just me looking at the warhammer tabletop, lowering the wounds would probaly make them next to useless

3. i would even increase their agility to 6, i don't know what the average is but six would make them that much more useful, and would reflect the nimble nature.

Other then those few things i like what i am seeing. Lizardmen are my favourite army. The saurus is done great. About the same stats as a chaos warrior, which is good considering they are pretty much equals.

P.S feel free to ask me any questions about any monsters you wish to do stats on, i would be glad to help and i have a lot of stuff for warhammer so i know what monster is equal to what and stuff like that.

Hmm very interesting - lizardmen. Maybe You will do also Reptilion from the 1st edition - it's not in the amrybooks but still it was a good enemy against players.

My opinions:

Skinks

- I'd recommend S of 2, not S of 3. 3 is an average human.
- Soak should be a 1 not a 2. Their natural armor (scaly skin) is pretty minimal. Remember, you can always actually put them in armor, and then use those values instead of the natural ones.
- Agi at 5 is good, although 6 isn't unreasonable.
- I would up their Defense from 1 to 2, representing a more natural dodge ability due to their agility.
- I'd probably give the Skinks an E die, since they are pretty smart fellows.
- 9 Wounds is too much. Drop their wounds to 7 or 8.
- I'd probably give a skink a C2 stance, but I don't feel strongly about it. C1 is fine too.

Saurus
- S6 is way too much, IMO. The Wargor is a S6 I believe. Think close to the WFB mini game stats and you'll be generally close to a lot of stat values. A normal Saurus probably only has a S of 4 if you give them a [W], or a S 5 without.
- T of 6 is way too much too. Again, a Wargor is T6(3). Ungors are T4(1). Gors are T5(2). Give them a T4(3), or possibly T5(3). Most of a lizardman's Toughness is really just from their natural armor (ie soak).
- I'd probably leave their WP at 3, to represent their cold-blooded nature, or else give them a [W] to WP tests.
- I'd give the Saurus either a 0 or 1 for their C pool. I mean, they aren't known for their thinking or perception.

dvang said:

My opinions:

Skinks

- I'd recommend S of 2, not S of 3. 3 is an average human.
- Soak should be a 1 not a 2. Their natural armor (scaly skin) is pretty minimal. Remember, you can always actually put them in armor, and then use those values instead of the natural ones.
- Agi at 5 is good, although 6 isn't unreasonable.
- I would up their Defense from 1 to 2, representing a more natural dodge ability due to their agility.
- I'd probably give the Skinks an E die, since they are pretty smart fellows.
- 9 Wounds is too much. Drop their wounds to 7 or 8.
- I'd probably give a skink a C2 stance, but I don't feel strongly about it. C1 is fine too.

Saurus
- S6 is way too much, IMO. The Wargor is a S6 I believe. Think close to the WFB mini game stats and you'll be generally close to a lot of stat values. A normal Saurus probably only has a S of 4 if you give them a [W], or a S 5 without.
- T of 6 is way too much too. Again, a Wargor is T6(3). Ungors are T4(1). Gors are T5(2). Give them a T4(3), or possibly T5(3). Most of a lizardman's Toughness is really just from their natural armor (ie soak).
- I'd probably leave their WP at 3, to represent their cold-blooded nature, or else give them a [W] to WP tests.
- I'd give the Saurus either a 0 or 1 for their C pool. I mean, they aren't known for their thinking or perception.

Those are reasonable to, but i would probaly leave the sking strength, in WFB they are the same as a human for that. I would make the strenth of the saurus the same as a chaos warrior to for what i said befor, they are the sameish.

facepalm said:

Those are reasonable to, but i would probaly leave the sking strength, in WFB they are the same as a human for that. I would make the strenth of the saurus the same as a chaos warrior to for what i said befor, they are the sameish.

The Strength of a Chaos Warrior in WFRP3 probably reflects not only the Strength stat from the Wargame, but also the Chaos Warriors really high Weapon Skill stat, (WS6 in WFB, but only 1 WS die in WFRP3) so it is probably not wise to use a direct comparison.

jadrax said:

The Strength of a Chaos Warrior in WFRP3 probably reflects not only the Strength stat from the Wargame, but also the Chaos Warriors really high Weapon Skill stat, (WS6 in WFB, but only 1 WS die in WFRP3) so it is probably not wise to use a direct comparison.

That is true i guess... but lizardmen are cooler!!!!!=)

Thanks for the good replies i will try both the original and the new set in a playtest and see what i got to add and maybe we can have some new monsters to add to our bestiary. Also planning on a kroxigor as the third type of lizardman "mob" and then to work on some attacks for them. Also have plans on working on some skaven stuff like giving them there own magic and such instead of just "borrowed" spell cards from the current magic decks.

you should try to make a stegadon! that would be awesome, they would be so hard to kill. hard to make rules for to with the howdah and such.

jadrax said:

facepalm said:

I ment that overall they are the same, toughness and stuff, yes chaos warriors have 5 WS and saurus have 3WS so the strength could be like one less in roleplay. I just meant that a person ould just look at the chaos warrior stats and adjust them accordingly.

amrowe1999 said:

With the release of the system not far i thought it might be time to share some new monsters. I have been starting to work on these guys and thought i would share them for you. With that I give you some Lizardmen to try out.

Skink

St - 3(2)

To - 2(2)

Ag - 5(1)

Int - 3[w]

Wp - 3

Fel - 3

A/C/E - 2/4/0

Wound - 9

Stance - C1

Saurus

St - 6[w](5)

To - 6[w](3)

Ag - 3(2)

Int - 2

Wp - 2

Fel - 2

A/C/E - 5/2/3

Wound - 15

Stance - R2

I have also been tinkering with some ideas on making a grey seer for the skaven but that is still to come. Please rip these to shreds with testing and critisizm.

I finally got the time to test these myself today and i tried both my original posted stats and the suggested adjustments and i have to say that i like both but am willing to make the masses happy by making the modification so here are the new stats for the lizardmen

Skink

St - 2(2)

To - 3(1)

Ag - 6(2)

Int - 3[w]

Wp - 3

Fel - 3

A/C/E - 2/4/1

Wound - 8

Stance - C2

Saurus

St - 5(5)

To - 5(3)

Ag - 3(2)

Int - 2

Wp - 3

Fel - 2

A/C/E - 5/3/3

Wound - 15

Stance - R2

I have also come up with another one so that we have three choices when sending lizardmen out to kill our valiant adventurers. I give you the feared Kroxigor

Kroxigor

St - 6(5)

To - 5(4)

Ag - 2(1)

Int - 2

Wp - 1

Fel - 2

A/C/E - 6/0/1

Wound - 18

Stance - R3

Once again i post these for all to digest and shred to pieces.

One of the most evocative ways v3 characterises its monsters is giving them trademark Actions to perform. It might be good to come up with some for the lizardmen.

Also, a cool special rule or talent to reflect cold-bloodedness would be good, too.

Maybe something like

Skink Blowpipe

Ranged

Recharge 0

Difficulty mod. M

Axe: Normal Damge

Axe Axe: As above plus target is poisoned

Boon Boon: +1 Critical

Bane Bane: Skink can be engaged for free

Chaos Star: The Skink suffers one wound and is poisoned

@monkey - i tottally agree with you on the interesting attack "cards" that each monster gets to play with. In fact i like your skink blow pipe idea. I like it soo much i think im gonna steal that possibly mod it a bit and use it for my skinks(cause man they got pwned hardcore during my playtest of them seemed a little too squishy for my taste but then again thats were some of the flavor items come into play)

Would you like to see just the four that they show in the DMG/MM or do you think that it should be off the wall and make a few for each monster and a few that they each share?

I think roughly one to share and one for each type as a standard is a decent basis. And then adding some unique ones for particular scenarios or situations or to reflect particular groups or leaders works well to mix things up a bit, and add variety and surprises.

While i suck at naming things i have my first special attack for the lizardmen:

Claw! Claw! Bite!

Melee Recharge

Used by: Saurus

Weapon Skill (st) vs Target Defence

*S* Target is struck for normal damage

*SS* Target is hit by both claws dealing double weapon damage

*SSSS* Target is hit by both claws and a viscious bite dealing 2.5 times weapon damage

*BB* you hit for +1 critical

{BB} Attacker suffers 1 wound

@monkey - your difficulty for the skink blow pipe is listed as M what does that stand for?

amrowe1999 said:

While i suck at naming things i have my first special attack for the lizardmen:

Claw! Claw! Bite!

Melee Recharge

Used by: Saurus

Weapon Skill (st) vs Target Defence

*S* Target is struck for normal damage

*SSSS* Target is hit by both claws and a viscious bite dealing 2.5 times weapon damage

*BB* you hit for +1 critical

{BB} Attacker suffers 1 wound

You should call it 'Predatorial Fighter' I got the idea because it described something like that in the old lizardmen army book.

amrowe1999 said:

16 damage for two successes looks extremely dangerous to me.

amrowe1999 said:

@monkey - your difficulty for the skink blow pipe is listed as M what does that stand for?

It's just a Misfortune die. I can't get used to the new-fangled neznotation.