Ingredienses for spells

By Allavandrel, in WFRP Rules Questions

I cannot find the question answered anywhere on the forums - do you still have to use ingredienses for spellcasting??

No

That is great news as it has always been an irritating diversion from spellcasting!!

Thanks a lot for the rapid answer.

You never had to use ingrediance in 2nd ed either.

Frankly, the thing that I liked the MOST from 1st edition were the ingredients.

Think about it: to cast a demonic spell, you absolutely needed fresh sacrificial victims. That's about as Grim and Dark as you could get.

Necrozius said:

Frankly, the thing that I liked the MOST from 1st edition were the ingredients.

Think about it: to cast a demonic spell, you absolutely needed fresh sacrificial victims. That's about as Grim and Dark as you could get.

I fully agree.

Warhammer was the only game where mages had to handle all of these weird and often gross bits to do their magic. Also, the business of selling ingredients was the cause of much adventuring...

Hehhhe

And I disagree lengua.gif

I never liked the requirement of ingredients to cast a spell (the 2-nd ed way was good for me) in opposition to the rituals gran_risa.gif .

Yes, rituals should require tons of blood (pulls out his sacrificial dagger), hundreads of virgins killed at midnight, flesh of babies and... we are talking about evil demonic rituals right? (tries to hide his sacrificial dagger unnoticed angel.gif ).

But spells are not rituals lengua.gif

Yeah, you're right Sunatet. Heh heh.

But... those kinds of things are so COOOOL!

I think that I'll give bonuses to the spellcasters in my player group who deliberately get interesting ingredients for their spells.

One of the wonderful benefits of 3e... reward the player that uses creative and appropriate ingredients for their spells with a [W] to their spellcasting check.

Necrozius said:

I think that I'll give bonuses to the spellcasters in my player group who deliberately get interesting ingredients for their spells.

Neat gran_risa.gif

I will certainly think about it (when I finally get my box...)

dvang said:

One of the wonderful benefits of 3e... reward the player that uses creative and appropriate ingredients for their spells with a [W] to their spellcasting check.

This is a great idea. Plenty of other systems have the idea of correspondences or material bonuses for using ingredients in spells. This could easily be ported and used in V3 using the [W] mechanic, and it gives me something to drip feed to the party spell caster when he wants to go studying....

Although the chaos gods are fickle creatures and over use of the same particular ingedients again and again could actually grant a die instead!

The impact of a white die could be alot more than you want though, each one adds a +33% chance of success. Given that the core mechanic is all you need is one success at the end of the day to succeed, unless they use different mechanics for spellcasting that is.

As previously mentioned my opinion about ingredienses for spell is that they disturbed the spellcasting process. Spellcasters in our group have used endless amounts of time looking for weird very rare ingredienses (both in 1st and 2nd edition), and it has often disturbed the momentum of the game and caused frustration. I know things changed a bit when RoS II came out, but these rules changes haven't had an effect on spellcasting in our group, most likely due to the additional danger.

Also, in the novels it is rarely mentioned that spellcasters use ingredienses to cast ordinary spells. It all depends on the strength of the magic winds.

This said, I strongly believe that ingredienses should play a more important role in potion brewing and rituals than in previous editions!! I will like to see numerous potion recipies that only rely on specific ingredienses and not on casting four specific 4th level spells onto the potion. Ingredienses are of course also very relevant in rituals.

Loswaith said:

The impact of a white die could be alot more than you want though, each one adds a +33% chance of success.

So four white die add +133% chance of success...??? gui%C3%B1o.gif

Are there rituals in the Core game?

Yeah, the ingredients part won't get in the way of the regular spellcasting in my campaign.

If a player wants to ensure that his casting of fireball against the BIG FINAL BOSS will be successful, and he goes out of his way to prepare a scroll made of basilisk hide and ink made of the preserved 100 year old blood of a Saint of Morr mixed with ruby dust... then yeah, I'll let them and give them a [W] for their efforts.

I won't give them anything if they find a loophole to exploit that mechanic, though.

Allavandrel said:

Loswaith said:

The impact of a white die could be alot more than you want though, each one adds a +33% chance of success.

So four white die add +133% chance of success...??? gui%C3%B1o.gif

On average yes. 4 White dice will give 1.33 successes.

The maths are quite a bit more complicated though to determine the exact % of a successful result. It's based on all the dice rolled.

I asked about rituals in another thread and the answer was no. I do very much hope there is an expanded magic book (both good and bad) that covers rituals and creating new rituals in this new system.

After the Tzeentchian curses in v2, the ritual system was my favorite feature of the magic system.