Stand Off, Paid to Protect, and Arrayed for Battle

By jasco games, in UFS General Discussion

I know this has come up alot, but why are these cards still the rarest cards in NEWFS? each play group gets a grand total of 4 of each of these (not including Stand Off but still very rare). That means only one player gets a play set, or 4 players get one of them, and makes all four of them not worth running, or atleast not affective.

James and Steve, you really need to send all three of the cards out in normal prize support asap. Characters are not as necessary because we only need one. Competitive play is going to die if only a hand full of players are capable of competing. This is a collectible card game, which means it lives almost entirely on people wanting to compete in the game.

Please fix this problem.

jasco games said:

I know this has come up alot, but why are these cards still the rarest cards in NEWFS? each play group gets a grand total of 4 of each of these (not including Stand Off but still very rare). That means only one player gets a play set, or 4 players get one of them, and makes all four of them not worth running, or atleast not affective.

James and Steve, you really need to send all three of the cards out in normal prize support asap. Characters are not as necessary because we only need one. Competitive play is going to die if only a hand full of players are capable of competing. This is a collectible card game, which means it lives almost entirely on people wanting to compete in the game.

Please fix this problem.

Order more pre-release kits? My shop ordered 4.

Antigoth said:

jasco games said:

Please fix this problem.

Order more pre-release kits? My shop ordered 4.

So the reasonable suggested solution is to buy more product then your playerbase can afford/support in order to obtain a few copies of single, somewhat critical cards for competitive play?

I don't buy that at all, One of the biggest complaints early last season was inability to obtain Chase expensive promos and URS. We often had new players or returning players outright give up due to the expense or completely unavailability of the heavily chased cards.

I agree Entirely with the original post, We have a returning player who wants to build a void deck, the problem being that Paid to protect is absolutely mandatory in the deck and he cannot obtain them reasonably, we'd love to help him, but we barely have any. He is a competitive player and if he cannot get the cards he needs to have the deck at it's best, he will not return, I am sure of this.

These cards need to be in promo kits, and they need to be in them before Can nats/US nats or the game will have shown to learn nothing whatsoever in regards availability(one of the biggest concerns of last season) over the last year.

I apologize, my shop pretty much went through all the product in the 4 release kits.

I thought I was in a reletively small play area, so I assumed the larger play areas would go through a similar amount of product.

My bad for assuming.

For what it's worth, if you really want James / Steve to effectively hear this, please contact them directly. Posting it here in the forums, while it will get a bunch of "me too" responses, FFG has openly stated they don't actively read the forums.

Again, I apologize, I just suggested what my shop does to ensure that we have sufficient product / # of pre-release cards / etc. I didn't think it was unreasonable / offensive.

Antigoth said:

Again, I apologize, I just suggested what my shop does to ensure that we have sufficient product / # of pre-release cards / etc. I didn't think it was unreasonable / offensive.

C'mon, you had to know that not a lot of playerbases can afford to blow a ton of money on cards at this time of the year.

And that's IF the product is available. We had doubts we could have held the pre-release here.

If I'm not mistaken they have been giving less of these pre-release promos in the kits then ever before. IMO that's the biggest problem. I mean 4 copies of a card you need four of per kit? That's crazy. That's 1 kit (4 boxes) per playset. That would mean every person in a play group would need to have bought 4 boxes to justify the store ordering that many pre-release kits so everyone would be able to get a set.

Well four players go through 1 box for a prerelease... if top 1/4 get cards then you need some of the other four to buy a box and the retailer is left with half of the cards left... in time he'll probably sell the rest.

Seems about right.. 4 cards. But the rub here is that the scout gets nothing. The scout CANNOT get promos for running the event, or he'll be screwing over his player base. Not really fair. So the scout just gets normal promos which he normally gets everymonth, which again, is a bit on the rough side for the scout... unless he plays in his own event (usually frowned upon).

vermillian said:

Seems about right.. 4 cards. But the rub here is that the scout gets nothing. The scout CANNOT get promos for running the event, or he'll be screwing over his player base. Not really fair. So the scout just gets normal promos which he normally gets everymonth, which again, is a bit on the rough side for the scout... unless he plays in his own event (usually frowned upon).

I spoke with James about this two days ago. He was unaware of how things were prior to taking over, so he didn't know about the above stated issues. Hopefully this will begin to be rectified with the next pre-release.

Antigoth said:

I spoke with James about this two days ago. He was unaware of how things were prior to taking over, so he didn't know about the above stated issues. Hopefully this will begin to be rectified with the next pre-release.

I feel bad for asking this but...

If we use "contact support" off the main website, can we trust it'll get sent to the right instances? 'cause generally when I want to contact FFG, I look at the possible issues (since it's a down menu) and mine tend to not fit in those. Instead of just picking anything and hoping it gets back up the ladder, I'd rather use the proper ways, y'know.

Antigoth said:

I apologize, my shop pretty much went through all the product in the 4 release kits.

I thought I was in a reletively small play area, so I assumed the larger play areas would go through a similar amount of product.

My bad for assuming.

For what it's worth, if you really want James / Steve to effectively hear this, please contact them directly. Posting it here in the forums, while it will get a bunch of "me too" responses, FFG has openly stated they don't actively read the forums.

Just to add facts between our two Calgary stores we ordered at least 6 kits... We also had 20 and 16 players out to both of the prereleases though, in between that an 18 player Store Championship (yeah 15+ hours of tourney 2Xsealed 1Xstore champ UFS this weekend lol), and to think our next tourney is Wednesday, and other Calgary store tourney the Sunday after next.

In any case, I posted a very long thread about why P2P is relatively useless in a lot of cases, my playing with the new set shows it is a 'bit' more useful what with all the speed pump. But, at the end of the day, the 12+ competitve characters are still so agressive that trying to play defensive to beat characters that speed pump (Hilde, Hata, now Amy and to an extent Mitsu) is still 'not the best way to go', I still suggest offensive cards over defensive cards in 85%+ cases. If you disagree than that is all well and good, but I play a LOT and I'm not trying to pull anyones tail here, P2P is 'still' not necessary.

Standoff, good card in many cases, much more useful/playable than P2P (still I only use 3 in my decks). Arrayed, amazing card especially with 2 of 4 sets being SCIV cards.

In any case, I'm not disagreeing with the first post. I'm lucky and very proud of my Scout (his hard work) that my playgroup has grown from 6-8 to 18-24 players since I started a year and 4 months ago. We have 'probably' 4-6 sets of P2P amongst our group, and I can gaurantee you that out of the 18 players that played in the store tourney, maybe 1 player would have played a different deck had he had them, and none of the players placed poorly because they lacked P2P (maybe 3 sets of it were run, i,e, some weren't even used).

- dut

Anybody can play without those cards

But their decks are made that much better with them.

MarcoPulleaux said:

Anybody can play without those cards

But their decks are made that much better with them.

I can play without rares and ultra rares in my deck. Maybe I should stop buying booster packs and boxes?

dutpotd said:

Antigoth said:

My bad for assuming.

Just to add facts between our two Calgary stores we ordered at least 6 kits... We also had 20 and 16 players out to both of the prereleases though, in between that an 18 player Store Championship (yeah 15+ hours of tourney 2Xsealed 1Xstore champ UFS this weekend lol), and to think our next tourney is Wednesday, and other Calgary store tourney the Sunday after next.

In any case, I posted a very long thread about why P2P is relatively useless in a lot of cases, my playing with the new set shows it is a 'bit' more useful what with all the speed pump. But, at the end of the day, the 12+ competitve characters are still so agressive that trying to play defensive to beat characters that speed pump (Hilde, Hata, now Amy and to an extent Mitsu) is still 'not the best way to go', I still suggest offensive cards over defensive cards in 85%+ cases. If you disagree than that is all well and good, but I play a LOT and I'm not trying to pull anyones tail here, P2P is 'still' not necessary.

Standoff, good card in many cases, much more useful/playable than P2P (still I only use 3 in my decks). Arrayed, amazing card especially with 2 of 4 sets being SCIV cards.

In any case, I'm not disagreeing with the first post. I'm lucky and very proud of my Scout (his hard work) that my playgroup has grown from 6-8 to 18-24 players since I started a year and 4 months ago. We have 'probably' 4-6 sets of P2P amongst our group, and I can gaurantee you that out of the 18 players that played in the store tourney, maybe 1 player would have played a different deck had he had them, and none of the players placed poorly because they lacked P2P (maybe 3 sets of it were run, i,e, some weren't even used).

- dut

I second that.

My store only have about 4-6 players on averge so we can only really afford to get one kit per release. So right now only 2 guys have 2 copies each of P2P(Which I dont care what anybody says is freaking mandatory) and we have a total of 3 sets of Standoff(because one of guys maganged to buy a set off Coolstuff before they were constantly sold out)

It would be verym uch appreciated if something was done. We don't have anybody quitting over this but still :/

Concur. We have tried ordering 2 of each of the last 2 prerelease kits (Tekken and the new Soul Cal) and FFG have decided not to send either to us. So we are in a situation where even if we order and pay for the kits FFG have decreed that we are not worth sending them to.

That makes it VERY hard to get promos ONLY available from prereleases. And I will whinge up the tree if someone can give me an email contact because it is ridiculous to try and grow a game when the parent company will not provide PAID FOR (not free) support.

Also I forgot to add that Paid to Protect is now mandatory in any deck that can run it. I do not like turtle decks but to avoid dying second turn every game - dependant on dice roll - due to the ridculous speed buffs in the new set one really does need something to counteract the new set.

People were making P2P an auto-include with Hata** and that character does not even come close to the power level of some of the new cards.

Duckman said:

Also I forgot to add that Paid to Protect is now mandatory in any deck that can run it. I do not like turtle decks but to avoid dying second turn every game - dependant on dice roll - due to the ridculous speed buffs in the new set one really does need something to counteract the new set.

It is, simply put, "one of those top tier/cookie cutter cards that just goes into every deck that can run it." I remember, up until Worlds 09, never owning a Blood Runs True, and then causing so many headaches at Worlds when I was using an entire playset :D

Yes, you can both win and survive without it. But really, the same can be said about just about any card, so that argument is simply redundant. The card is designed to protect you, just like the name says. The enhance is to reduce damage so you don't have to block, the R is to ease blocking. In a format where +3 blocks rule (meaning it's hard to block off the bat), both abilities are EXTREMELY useful, especially the R since it makes speed buffers (and as of now, there are plenty) think harder on how they play.