You can add this card to the list of Terrains that aren't Terrains...

By guitalex2008, in UFS General Discussion

I'd probably switch out the +1 hand size asset for Pavilions if I keep Algol built.

Funny that it needs to get the errata now when it should have been found and fixed during playtesting. Do they do anything anymore? They let the Paul support slip through, and now Pavillion... maybe James is just too preoccupied with his own game to do anything with this one anymore, and if that is not the case... it sure seems like it.

basically current majority of playtesters don't know what they are doing. I have friends who are playtesters and are still complaining about king being beefed up with an e when his F was overpowered to begin with because other playtesters decided that king wouldn't see play with just his F and he needed something else. we need new playtesters basically and james isn't accepting any more

Ender Dragon said:

Funny that it needs to get the errata now when it should have been found and fixed during playtesting. Do they do anything anymore? They let the Paul support slip through, and now Pavillion... maybe James is just too preoccupied with his own game to do anything with this one anymore, and if that is not the case... it sure seems like it.

Pot... Kettle.

Antigoth said:

Ender Dragon said:

Pot... Kettle.

dragoku said:

Pot... Kettle.

does that mean you're both black?

That is precisely what I meant!

I guess your response would be fitting if I were a playtester, but alas... I am not, so it makes no sense. Maybe they should consider hiring another designer so we have more than 1 guy designing cards for this game. Let alone we have 1 guy right now doing 2 games. That does not bode well for either game.

...k except James is doing an amazing job with this game...

Also, um, if you've ever spoken with James via instant message, you'd know that he doesn't create everything by himself. He talks to a LOT of UFS players, and they bounce around ideas with him. Not saying he's going to just take anybody's wish, or that other players have created cards, rather, he'll listen to your thoughts about what you feel might help certain characters, themes, etc, and then he creates all things considered.

So, all-in-all, he makes a **** good LEAD designer, which, btw, is a key term there. He isn't the DESIGNER, he's the LEAD designer, simply meaning he has top say on design, not the only say.

Worlds 2009 Campfire story: ShadoWar was designed by the design crew. It was supposed to be 2/5 instead of 3/5, and it was supposed to be +1 +1. Hata changed it at the last minute to be what it is now (which, after seeing what it does to the game, I end up agreeing with). Don't know Hata, don't know the validity, but simply saying he doesn't create everything, but for what all he does, I'd say he's an indispensible asset.

MarcoPulleaux said:

Also, um, if you've ever spoken with James via instant message, you'd know that he doesn't create everything by himself. He talks to a LOT of UFS players, and they bounce around ideas with him. Not saying he's going to just take anybody's wish, or that other players have created cards, rather, he'll listen to your thoughts about what you feel might help certain characters, themes, etc, and then he creates all things considered.

Ah, that "If you've ever spoken to X person on staff" rears it's ugly head again. Please, for the love of all that's good (because it's really not a terribad symbol right now), find a better argument to convince the people who HAVEN'T spoken to members of staff on a personal level before. It does not work. Everyone who has spoken to them is already convinced that they're going about this the right way. You need to convince the people who haven't. And saying : "Oh if you've ever spoken to them before you know..." is relying on something we've never had the chance to do before.

*edit* Nevermind...

Antigoth said:

*edit* Nevermind...

I get the argument, or at least what it stems from : Relying on a previous shared experience. For the most part, people who have shared that experience are already convinced, hence my "That argument will not work." - Because Shinji's asking us to remember something that never happened for us. You can see the flaw in that.

I'll submit the following argument : FFG does not gain anything from personally screwing you over. Talk it over with them once your head is cooled, and ask if they can't make an exception for you and not send you Legacy stuff.

As far as Pavillion is concerned, I'd chalk it up to an honest mistake more than a panicked errata. More "Goddammit I thought I put Terrain on the master copy." than "Oh crap guys this is too strong we have to errata it to Terrain!"

But if this wasn't in answer to me, I'll simply say the following : There's a reason why I'm still around even though 80% of my posts are complete crap - Because the other 20% are actually useful.

To ED, I will honestly ask the following : Where's your 20% been lately?

dragoku said:

basically current majority of playtesters don't know what they are doing. I have friends who are playtesters and are still complaining about king being beefed up with an e when his F was overpowered to begin with because other playtesters decided that king wouldn't see play with just his F and he needed something else. we need new playtesters basically and james isn't accepting any more

lol @ you proving your own point. Isn't being a playtester supposed to be hush hush, seeing as that's inside info and probably bound by a non-disclosure agreement?

Glad that your friends are willing to break a contract to let you in on company secrets. Wishing I had friends like yours.

guitalex2008 said:

lol @ you proving your own point. Isn't being a playtester supposed to be hush hush, seeing as that's inside info and probably bound by a non-disclosure agreement?

Glad that your friends are willig to break a contract to let you in on company secrets. Wishing I had friends like yours.

If it's playtesting, IIRC you can say you're a playtester, but you are under a NDA to not reveal details about what you're playtesting. Generally, you can discuss details on how a card was in playtesting once it's actually released.

FFG's NDA might be different, however.

Homme Chapeau said:

guitalex2008 said:

Glad that your friends are willig to break a contract to let you in on company secrets. Wishing I had friends like yours.

If it's playtesting, IIRC you can say you're a playtester, but you are under a NDA to not reveal details about what you're playtesting. Generally, you can discuss details on how a card was in playtesting once it's actually released.

FFG's NDA might be different, however.

guitalex2008 said:

I think just saying you're a playtester is inside info. I KNOW discussing playtesting things after it's been released is NOT accepted, because that IS revealing inside info.

Again, it depends on the NDA. It probably changed, but back around Set 9-10-11, you could say you were a playtester, but that was it.