Quest for Souls Artwork

By TripsEX, in UFS General Discussion

I think the new set looks absolutely amazing. All of the cards look really well, and I haven't seen a bad card so far. Thoughts on this?

far better artwork on this set then tekken 6, though a couple of Xianghua's cards seem sortta off for color {shared hair dye with Amy?}

I quite like the set as well. The only cards of which I don't like the art style are two of Xianghua's foundations and Lizardman's cards (among the 9 unaffected to characters in the set).

I think the set looks great, Even Zianghua's cartoony style. I actually think Lizardman's almost comic style might be my favorite. Certainly a vast improvement of Tekken and the last SC set.

The card art is MUCH improved over Teken. I'm actually not embarresed to be showing these off.

Looking over the card art, Gonzolo Ordóñez REALLY likes his thighs, doesnt he? While I generally agree with him on this, it looks a bit odd seeing them on Amy and Xianghua

Nekuro said:

The only cards of which I don't like the art style are two of Xianghua's foundations and Lizardman's cards.

My sentiments exactly.

I REALLY love all of Takis Art. Moar of that Artist plz? XD

Also am a fan of Gonzolo so it was nice to see his stuff again. hope we can get him for a Darkstalkers set too as I really liked his fan art of Hsien Ko he has up on his Deviantart.

Sophitia's right knee on Sisters of Battle.

Cannot un-see. :C

Tagrineth said:

Sophitia's right knee on Sisters of Battle.

Cannot un-see. :C

...does that make you feel better?

Carefree, Pure Hearted and Sisters of Battle are the only cards i dont like the art on, I love Taki's artwork and think Possession Stance and Knows her Objective are the best artwork in the set.
I am also loving the cartoony style of Lizardman, it realy suits him.
I also think there is alot more going on in the cards, more action (not the card type) based if you know what I mean, you realy get a feel for an attack this time round, there are very few cards with characters not doing anything which was a problem in previouse sets IMO.

Theo

Theo said:

Carefree, Pure Hearted and Sisters of Battle are the only cards i dont like the art on, I love Taki's artwork and think Possession Stance and Knows her Objective are the best artwork in the set.
I am also loving the cartoony style of Lizardman, it realy suits him.
I also think there is alot more going on in the cards, more action (not the card type) based if you know what I mean, you realy get a feel for an attack this time round, there are very few cards with characters not doing anything which was a problem in previouse sets IMO.

Theo

Yeah Alina Urusov is my new favorite artist. I loved her art style for Basra and Zhao Daiyus cards and thought her style was amazing but wouldn't fit many other characters but then I saw her work on the Taki cards and she has shown that she is **** talented in other styles of art as well. Hope UFS keeps using her art she is incredible.

I'm glad Tekken's art was an exception, not the norm. I like "Nimbus" the best. Strong, crisp, design. Sad there will be no shiny cards.

grandmook said:

I'm glad Tekken's art was an exception, not the norm.

I didn't think it was that bad.

It's probably because the art was provided by Namco Bandai Games as opposed to being provided by Namco Bandi, which is clearly better. I mean just look at how pretty the characters are.

Extra points to whoever knows what I'm talking about.

guitalex2008 said:

grandmook said:

I'm glad Tekken's art was an exception, not the norm.

I didn't think it was that bad.

It's probably because the art was provided by Namco Bandai Games...

No. It was because of things like Studio Sakka Team's work (Sharing a Moment and Boxing is Life, for example). Taste in art is always an opinion, but technique is harder to dispute.

guitalex2008 said:

You mean the copyright text cock-up of epic proportions?

Homme Chapeau said:

guitalex2008 said:

guitalex2008 said:

Homme Chapeau said:

guitalex2008 said:

You win a cookie. A cookie is worth 10 awesome points.

I seriously thought someone at NB would be having conniptions over this when I first saw it.

Thoughts:

Studio Sakka Team is not allowed to touch our game ever again

They get to join the trash bin, alongside Udon Comics and Glasshouse Graphics.

Well, in Udon's defense, not ALL of the artwork was bad, but they were WAY too inconsistent to keep employing them. And let me go on the record as saying that Glass House Graphics and Studio Sakka Team are HORRIBLE, and I hope we never have to stare at another piece of their "artwork" on UFS cards again.

I'm not the biggest fan of the cartoonish Lizardman* stuff based on the line art, but I can appreciate how it matches up with the character itself.

Everyone else quite simply did a great job overall, though. I'm a fan of more portrait-ish art (I greatly enjoyed Ryan Barger 's work in ShadoWar , and I think we can agree that Rashotep** and Yi Shan** 's stuff looked pretty good), and Alina Urusov blew my mind with her work on Taki * 's support. But yeah, everyone who worked on Quest of Souls ' artwork did a good job. Props.

The fact that Allina did Zhao Daiyu's darkhorse comic-like artwork as well as Taki's flawless, IFS-quality proves she's one of the best artists around.

Also, yeah, if the ShadoWar guys (guys who did Lu Chen** in particular) could only draw EVERYTHING, this game would be amazing. Oh how I'd love to see Astaroth and Algol's cards redone. Astaroth is a Hellish golem, and Algol is the main boss of the game, but Algol looks like Dartz and Astaroth looks like Zygor

that's right...Yugioh anime references.

MarcoPulleaux said:

Thoughts:

Studio Sakka Team is not allowed to touch our game ever again

They get to join the trash bin, alongside Udon Comics and Glasshouse Graphics.

Except that Alvin Lee is the best artist ever featured in this game. Glasshouse was still better than most of the independent artists that have been used to; sad but true.

ROTBI said:

Except that Alvin Lee is the best artist ever featured in this game. Glasshouse was still better than most of the independent artists that have been used to; sad but true.

Unless Alvin Lee is a part of IFS, you're wrong.

Also, Glasshouse isn't as good as Studio Sakka, which says a lot since Studio Sakka is horrible.

MarcoPulleaux said:

ROTBI said:

Unless Alvin Lee is a part of IFS, you're wrong.

Also, Glasshouse isn't as good as Studio Sakka, which says a lot since Studio Sakka is horrible.

IFS are overrated and charge way too much for artwork. IFS had the blandest artwork in the entire game. Bland = Bad. Only ONE piece of artwork had the wow factor from them, and that was Morrigan. You will not see them again ever until they drop prices, which will NOT happen.

Glasshouse have their own style, and while it doesn't fit every character (See Astaroth/Google for examples of characters it doesn't fit), they're still good for certain characters, especially the off the wall stuff. I'd have actually liked seeing them do Yoshimitsu.

Studio Sakka, well, we've only seen on Tekken so far. I'm pretty sure we'll see them again if they don't charge that much.

The ShadoWar artists should stay on ShadoWar.

Udon was very hit or miss because they do carry some amazing artists, but they also carry some... less than stellar ones. The Street Fighter comics as a whole tend to be pretty hit-or-miss, visually.

Tagrineth said:

Udon was very hit or miss because they do carry some amazing artists, but they also carry some... less than stellar ones. The Street Fighter comics as a whole tend to be pretty hit-or-miss, visually.

Pretty much - I LIKE Joe NG when he's not drawing like he really needs to get this comic out ASAP and thus screws up a major part of the character's anatomy. And Omar Dogan is like Frank Cho in that his ladies are stunning.

However, Udon did put their lowest ranking artists on the cards since the others were busy with much more lucrative projects. THAT's where the bad Udon art comes in.