Sacrifices for the Cause

By babelfish666, in UFS Rules Q & A

F Discard X cards: Commit 1 card in your opponents staging area with a difficulty of X or less.

Is it possible to discard 0 cards as a card if i want to commit a 0 difficulty foundation, or does it require at least 1 card, which would then allow me to commit said difficulty 0 foundation?

same as the omar thread a few pages back, and the same as old dhalsim. yes you can discard 0 cards as a cost, even though some people would argue that 0 is not a positive number. go ahead and freely commit your opponents hope for ones peoples and man behind the masks.

*Stamp*

Also it commits your opponents face-down foundations.

Antigoth said:

*Stamp*

Sorry, but you are wrong here Antigoth. Either that or you need to change the rules.

2.13.8 When a player has the option to choose a number for X, X must be a positive number.

0 is not a positive number.

That is for the EFFECT of the card, its under the Effects section, not for costs.

No, X is chosen for the cost.

Right, the rule you referenced is located in the EFFECTS of cards section. You are defining X as part of the COST

2.12 Costs
When playing a card, or an ability, the cost is indicated between the ability type and colon (i.e., F Commit:,
or F(5+): )
2.12.1 Costs are not optional.
2.12.2 Costs may only be paid using cards controlled by the player wishing to play the ability.
2.12.3 If a part of a cost is to commit foundations, you may use your character card as a
foundation card to pay these costs.
2.12.4 A player may not pay more for a cost than they are required.

2.13 Effects
When playing/activating a card or an ability, the effect is everything after the colon. (i.e., E: Draw 2 cards)
2.13.1 After the generation of an effect, it exists independently of its source. Destruction or
removal of the source after that time wont affect the ability.
2.13.2 Effects will last until the end of the turn they are played unless otherwise stated.
2.13.3 If effects are connected together by the wording and then, then, or sentences starting
with the wording Then, these effects are linked to the effect before them. If the first
effect cannot be completed in its entirety, then the linked effect will not happen.
2.13.4 After an ability is played, it will resolve as much of itself as it can. (See 8.1 Playing a
card from hand, for more information on playing cards and abilities.)
2.13.5 Played abilities that state a condition preceded by if , after, when, the entire effect
following if , after, when must resolve and then the condition can be fulfilled. For
example, for the game text If this attack deals damage, reveal the top card of your deck.
Gain X vitality. The vitality gain is fulfilled once the attack deals damage and you reveal the
top card of your deck.
2.13.6 If an effect would result in a number being divided by 0, it is instead considered 0.
2.13.7A To be able to resolve an effect, it must have a valid target.
2.13.7B If an effect would be generated from modifying something that is unable to be modified,
that effect generates no result instead.
2.13.8 When a player has the option to choose a number for X, X must be a positive number.
2.13.9 A card turned face-down has no traits.
2.13.9.1 Any effects referencing a printed number on a face-down card would see that
number as a 0.
2.13.10 When an effect refers to something preceding (i.e., The there is a non attack preceding this
card in your card pool), it means immediately preceding the current card.
2.13.11 If an effect states to immediately destroy a card or turn a card face down, once that effect
has effect has happened, that effect is considered to have resolved.

Good job, rC. :]

So sometimes you can choose for X to be 0 or negative, sometimes you can't? Brilliant.

aslum said:

So sometimes you can choose for X to be 0 or negative, sometimes you can't? Brilliant.

Or something.

aslum said:

Yeah, and sometimes you can commit you character as a foundation and sometimes you can't.

Costs are handled differently from effects? Preposterous!

RC - Awesome job dude. A thank you for delving into the AGR, and reading it as astutely as you have been. It helps make the hours spent on it feel that much more worth while.

Aslum - Get over it. Just to make you happy I'll expand that in the AGR revision. (I'm taking the week off work next week to get caught up on that ****).

Honestly, with Lynx Tail or whatever it was, choosing 0 wouldn't have been an issue. The issue was being able to choose negative numbers. Which when paying a cost, you can't discard negative 4 cards.

How about the AGR be modified so that it says "X cannot be negative" instead of "X must be positive"?

It certainly seems like you are choosing X when you pay the cost, so there should be something in the costs section about choosing X as well.

And I think it was Makoto (pre-errata) that first generated the rule.

ARMed_PIrate said:

How about the AGR be modified so that it says "X cannot be negative" instead of "X must be positive"?

It certainly seems like you are choosing X when you pay the cost, so there should be something in the costs section about choosing X as well.

And I think it was Makoto (pre-errata) that first generated the rule.

Makoto didn't require a choice of X. There was a fixed value that it was based on.

Yes I may choose to go with the X Cannot be negative.

Yes I will be adding an additional line to costs.

so not paying costs to commit stuff... I'll remember that with my commit or destroy based costs, not do them and take the effect....

kiit said:

so not paying costs to commit stuff... I'll remember that with my commit or destroy based costs, not do them and take the effect....

I'm sorry, what? With which cards?

If a number is given (e.g. Intimidating Presence), you have to meet the number given.

If Intimidating Presence said "Destroy 0 foundations:", you could destroy 0 and get the effect. But it doesn't.

Sacrifices can effectively say "Discard 0 cards: . . .".

There's a huge difference here.

(edited out a slightly-too-bitter phrase, sorry)

thx Tag/Antigoth, NP :) sorry for the bump just got back to be able to check the thread