Help choosing a game

By YariSamurai, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game

Hello fellow Star Wars fans,

I'd really like to buy a SW-RPG, but I'm not shure which one I should buy (tending to Force and Destiny).I also wanted to ask if there is an order in which you have to buy the expansions from Force and Destiny.

Thank you,

YariSamurai

Edge of the Empire focuses on criminals and civilians in the galaxy and the fringes of Imperial space, i.e. Han, Lando, Chewie, Fett. Bounty hunters, smugglers, mercenaries, colonists, and so on.

Age of Rebellion focuses on the war between the Rebellion and the Empire. You play as Rebel agents (soldiers, commanders, diplomats, etc.).

Force and Destiny focuses on playing Force-sensitives living under the thumb of the Empire (and not specifically Jedi).

All three games are cross-compatible.

For expansions, you have three categories: career books, location books, and adventure modules. If you're not collecting everything, career books are good for a player who has that career in the game (Edge has the most career books with 5, while F&D has the least, with one released and one in development). Location books are good for all games, I think, especially if you don't have a very large knowledge about the wider Star Wars expanded universe; they nicely consolidate information on planets and some groups when you want to build your game setting. The adventure modules kind of depend on what you plan to do: they are written as if the PCs are from the game they are labeled under, but there is some advice to adapt it to other groups, but they will require some rewriting. But a mixed group will work well with them as is, usually.

Then you have the three game master kits. Each include a standing screen with some charts and lists from the core rulebooks, as well as an adventure for each, along with some advice for GMs and such. The beginner games are a good place to start, as they teach rules and include an adventure, as well as having a free follow-up PDF adventure on the product page.

Thank you.

Which game is the best one to start with if you've never played an RPG?

the beginners as they have actually set up the beginning tutorial adventure to teach both the players and gm the system. plkus the beginners set comes with dice so that's an extra product you don't need to buy for the initial playthrhough

Definitely a Beginner Game. the only decision your group needs to make is which type of Star Wars you want to start with, as Blackbird888 covered.

there are PDF extensions to each of the beginner boxes on FFG's product's page for each, they turn a 1-2 session adventure into a 6-10 session campaign (depending on how much the GM adds in or expands on)

Edge of the Empire focuses on criminals and civilians in the galaxy and the fringes of Imperial space, i.e. Han, Lando, Chewie, Fett. Bounty hunters, smugglers, mercenaries, colonists, and so on.

Age of Rebellion focuses on the war between the Rebellion and the Empire. You play as Rebel agents (soldiers, commanders, diplomats, etc.).

Force and Destiny focuses on playing Force-sensitives living under the thumb of the Empire (and not specifically Jedi).

All three games are cross-compatible.

For expansions, you have three categories: career books, location books, and adventure modules. If you're not collecting everything, career books are good for a player who has that career in the game (Edge has the most career books with 5, while F&D has the least, with one released and one in development). Location books are good for all games, I think, especially if you don't have a very large knowledge about the wider Star Wars expanded universe; they nicely consolidate information on planets and some groups when you want to build your game setting. The adventure modules kind of depend on what you plan to do: they are written as if the PCs are from the game they are labeled under, but there is some advice to adapt it to other groups, but they will require some rewriting. But a mixed group will work well with them as is, usually.

Then you have the three game master kits. Each include a standing screen with some charts and lists from the core rulebooks, as well as an adventure for each, along with some advice for GMs and such. The beginner games are a good place to start, as they teach rules and include an adventure, as well as having a free follow-up PDF adventure on the product page.

Can you provide a link? I did not see follow-up adventures when I looked.

Edited by AgentJ

Under play resources on each page.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-force-and-destiny-beginner-game/

I would poll your team and ask them what they prefer. Lay it out like the Villain, smuggler stuff like a Han Solo adventure, or deep in the rebellion like the Rebels TV Show or do they love Jedi's and are very interested in the force.

You can play all three, but this might help decide the order you try them in... and you may just end up sticking with one.

Hello fellow Star Wars fans,

I'd really like to buy a SW-RPG, but I'm not shure which one I should buy (tending to Force and Destiny).I also wanted to ask if there is an order in which you have to buy the expansions from Force and Destiny.

Thank you,

YariSamurai

You want decently force abilities? FaD.

You want to fight a civil war against the empire? AoR.

You want to be a smuggler who is constantly running away from his debts to a hut? EoE

You want a smuggler with a crew of a wookiee carpet and a young Jedi Knight and some alliance agitator and liaison office? All of them. You really want to have all three. It works with just one as the basic rules are the same in all three, but it is definitely helping when you all all three. The Rebels crew for example as definitely all 3, but not all players need three, it fine when just the group as a whole has access to all of them, the GM uses the one which he wants to use as basic theme, the players buy what fits their characters you want to play.

Thanks a lot.

I've GMed several time each of the 3 beginner games and GMed each of the free adventures following each of them.

If I had to choose one, I would certainly buy the Edge Of The Empire Beginner Game : it has the best team of pregenerated characters, the best star wars feeling, you begin on Tatooine with hutts, debts and cantinas... it is truly the way to begin. Had a bit of Force Sensitivity to explain Pash's destiny and every star wars touch is there.

Age of Empire Beginner game is more a freestyle base assault which requires more from player and GM and gives few good vibs from the start.... It's a good second choice, or second adventure...

Force and Destiny is the most disappointing... Good characters, but a simple (a bit dull) dungeon crawl... Looks like a fantasy adventure, a bit far away of the star wars movies feeling. Characters are good though... But I would not recommand it to begin with.

I only own Edge of the Empire RPG and it is enough to play everything because the 3 games have SOOOO many similar pages. If you manage to find some more talents trees you're good to go for decades.

Which game is the best one to start with if you've never played an RPG?

Imho AoR, because the GM can make the whole game easily very combat heavy, which is easier for starters. Which actually even applies to the beginners box adventure, which is indeed very linear and combat heavy. Easy to play especially with new players.

I only own Edge of the Empire RPG and it is enough to play everything because the 3 games have SOOOO many similar pages. If you manage to find some more talents trees you're good to go for decades.

This is in some ways misleading as the talent trees don't give you really details on the talents and FFG manage to seriously hide essential informations about talent use in the talent description. EotE and AoR mostly share talents, so it is rarely an issue, but with the career books and force and destiny you are open to inventing quite some house rules unintentionally. Which is totally fine from the fun perspective, but gives the 3 core rule books at least some purpose. As well the fluff and focus on the world descriptions is different enough to justify to have all 3 books in a group, not necessary all on the same player, but it certainly nice to have on CRB for reference and the others available in the group. The GM uses whatever campaign style he likes to use, so AoR for a rebell campaign or EotE for a scum campaign.

Edited by SEApocalypse

If it is ok I'm going to tag on my question in this thread rather than start a new one.

Like the Op I am new to starwars roleplay (though not roleplay in general - I have tome of experience with that)

In the end I'm definitely aiming getting the three core books, and will get one of the Gm screens (not sure which) but to begin with I have a force and destiny beginner box (I chose this as it was the cheapest on amazon) but am wondering if there is mileage or use in getting all the beginner sets. My logic is for in addition to the adventure I'm hoping a few sets of dice, a lot of nicely printed visuals and art and the pre gets will be useful generally.

Has anyone else done this. Is it a useful approach at all?

If it is ok I'm going to tag on my question in this thread rather than start a new one.

Like the Op I am new to starwars roleplay (though not roleplay in general - I have tome of experience with that)

In the end I'm definitely aiming getting the three core books, and will get one of the Gm screens (not sure which) but to begin with I have a force and destiny beginner box (I chose this as it was the cheapest on amazon) but am wondering if there is mileage or use in getting all the beginner sets. My logic is for in addition to the adventure I'm hoping a few sets of dice, a lot of nicely printed visuals and art and the pre gets will be useful generally.

Has anyone else done this. Is it a useful approach at all?

Plenty of people have done that. For the price of the beginner boxes (with dice) compared to the price of the dice, you get a lot more stuff. Some people get mileage out of the packed in adventures as well.

Just a heads up, each of the GM screens includes a unique adventure for each line. The AoR screen also includes a list of rules for squads and squadrons, which is very useful, while the F&D screen expands on building lightsaber hilts.

Or use this analogy:

Edge is the first 2/3rds of A New Hope with Age being the last 3rd

--Or ---

Age is the part of Empire Strikes back, that is on Hoth, Edge is the parts dealing with Han and Leia running from the Empire and on Cloud City, with F&D being the parts focusing on Luke.

---Or----

In Return of the Jedi: Edge is the part in Jabba's Palace, Age is the battle of Endor (ground and fleet), and F&D is the parts with Luke, Vader, and Palpatine

You could alter the Force & Destiny Beginner adventure so it can be used with Edge of the Empire or Age of Rebellion.

Have your players create their characters as normal if one of them goes force sensitive have the kidnapped character from the beginner game be a mentor to that character and has come to that world to meet their mentor only to discover they've been kidnapped quite possibly by an Inquisitor.

Edge version would reveal the existance of a potential treasure cache in a hidden Jedi Temple, Age of Rebellion makes that Jedi Temple a potential new Rebel base.

The Gatekeeper would only get involved if they're running a force sensitive character so you could ignore the dark side part and run it as a simply treasure hunt as well as rescue the former mentor.

The villain isn't an Inquisitor but they won't figure that out until they face them, now the real question is what do you want to happen with this adventure?

Do you have an idea for a campaign this adventure can lead them into?