Sat in on the demo Saturday...

By Zug3, in 2009 WFRP The Emperor's Decree Event

1) all the naysayers that complain about this being more a board game than an rpg apparently don't know what an rpg is. WFRP3e has NO board...no tactical grid. This is closer to pure storytelling than D&D4e/3.5/3 or any other 'real' rpg out there. Players didnt spend all their time trying to form a flanking conga line and trying to figure out how to move from point A to point B without generating AoO. Markers are used to indicate range (engaged,short,medium,long,extreme). I'm sure for those who sunk a ton of money into terrain features it would be easily tweakable to accomodate figures in terrain with abstract distances.

2) Book use, even by the players, was non-existant. It seemed that once the GM explained the rules and flow, players 'got it'. This sped up game play and helped story telling.

3) I could see the action dice improving game play for my own group in several ways..the major one? It would be easier for me to add 'flavor' to combat without risking a rules lawyer leaping in and overparsing the description. For example: 'ooo...a 1. You momentarily lose your grip on your sword and fail to connect with the kobolds scaly skin'...'WHAT? I should get a dex check then! I have a 15 dex!'...'um.no.you fumbled..'... "But you said I lost my grip! That's clearly a dex function!'. With the action dice, the 'reason' you missed or the 'reason' you hit is embedded in the roll.

4) The first thing that put me off was the lack of 'random character generation'. Then I thought about it and compared it to the 'new' generation of rpgs. Point buys. Let's face it, most players dont put a 13 Int into their 4e wizard. Or a 16. It's 18 or nothing. Every wizard seems to have a comparable set of stats. Every warrior has a comparable set of stats (varied if they are offense or defense). In wfrp, your stats arent random..they are adjusted based on your profession. So in the long run, this will be a non-issue as players branch into different professions.

5) wounds/criticals. Great concept here. Rather than rolling on tables, the random face down wound cards are comparable to rolling on a Rolemaster crit table..without the charts. Made it MUCH easier.

6) Leafing through the Adventure's book at the bestiary section, it seemed a bit 'skimpy'. I'm sure this will be adjusted in future supplements, but creating homebrew adventures will take a bit more effort (or until resources appear in the FFG section as free downloads..hint hint).

Great system...already preordered mine based on the demo (I admittedly went in with a negative attitude and expecting it to be more a boardgame...that'll teach me to listen to theorycrafters on the internet).

Zug said:

5) wounds/criticals. Great concept here. Rather than rolling on tables, the random face down wound cards are comparable to rolling on a Rolemaster crit table..without the charts. Made it MUCH easier.

LOL - you should have seen one of my players flipping a crit. It came at a very tense moment, so he spread them all out and was agonizing over which one to turn over. Good times...