Game Headquarters, Oklahoma City

By Boris Hochloff, in 2009 WFRP The Emperor's Decree Event

I was able to play in one session last night, and ran a session today. I'll give some basic facts about the sessions, and check back every day to answer questions from those who were not able to attend an event who might have specific questions they would like answered.

The first session had three players - the Roadwarden, Troll-Slayer, and High-Elf Envoy. The GM was very familiar with the Warhammer world, but had not really played WFRP in the past. The Envoy and Roadwarden were played by experienced role-players unfamiliar with the setting. I had the most experience with the setting and previous editions of WFRP, and played the Troll-Slayer.

The game was explained in a very short amount of time. The GM and I had gone over the rules for two days as much as we were able, and really only flubbed one rule (where used FP's go -- fixed for the second session). Having two of us there who were familiar with the rules was very helpful.

The session tonight featured four players, with myself as GM. Last night's GM played the Wizard's Apprentice. Two experienced gamers and roleplayers took on the Troll-Slayer and Envoy (again, they also knew the session, but had limited or no contact with WFRP), and a long time player of the earlier WFRP editions played the Roadwarden. Again, explaining the rules was very easy, and having two people present who were familiar with them was very helpful.

Oddly, given the complete shredding of the earlier editions in favor of mechanics previously foreign to WFRP, the people with the most exposure to WFRP came away liking the game the most. To be sure, neither of us thought we'd want to have anything to do with 3rd Edition when we first heard about the drastic changes (to be kind), but we both came away from the weekend ready to start a new campaign using the new version.

Of the other players and GM, one will likely give a campaign a shot, and four liked the game, though were not sure if they would be playing in the near future. One of those players was testing the game for a group of players he might be GM'ing in WFRP because several of them were intrigued - although none of them had ever played an earlier edition. Universally everyone said they had fun, whether they planned on pursuing the game or not.

No one came away with anything approaching disapproval (let alone the outright disgust I felt a few short weeks ago).

Here are some of the things that are 'missing' that will likely drive long-term WFRP players and GMs nuts -

THERE IS NO: Ulric's Fury. It is likely that you will face monsters that some characters CAN NOT injure.

WHY THIS IS SURPRISINGLY NOT A TOTAL DEAL BREAKER: Let's say you are a High Elf Envoy fighting a Troll, while your Reikland Soldier friend is right there beside you. Because of the Troll's Toughness and Soak Value, even a maximum hit on your part can not hurt it (given your ST, weapon, and Attack Actions purchased). But what you CAN do is take an action that either gives extra dice to the Soldier, who CAN hurt it (by distracting the Troll with feints and jeers so the Soldier can land a solid blow), or perform an action that helps protect the Soldier (and you) from attacks (by guarding your friends backs or helping confuse the Troll during mid-attack). There are Action cards you will start with that allow these sort of roleplaying actions to be implemented mechanically into the action.

THERE ARE NO: Hit locations.

WHY THIS IS SURPRISINGLY NOT A TOTAL DEAL BREAKER: The days of four beginning characters swinging swords at the same three goblins, with the same four die rolls needed each time, and no one landing a blow for three turns are OVER. The dice pool CONSTANTLY changes (for the players at least, and often enough for the critters), and hits are landed far more often. Your chance to hit a given monster will likely change from turn to turn, slightly or even dramatically, and you are more likely to hit and do SOMETHING every turn. Even if you don't hit there is a good chance something slightly good or bad also happened due to your die pool results. And this is SO much better than spending the first four gaming sessions trying to roll a 27 or lower, and the next three trying to roll a 37, and the next six trying to roll a 42, etc., that you don't CARE that you don't know if you hit the right leg or right arm. You get so much more information, action, and variety from the new dice pool that hit locations are not even missed.

THERE ARE NO: "Your opponent's head flies off in a random direction, landing 2d6 feet away" -- Fate Points -- Ulric's Fury -- Castastrophic Insanities.

WHY THIS IS SURPRISINGLY NOT A TOTAL DEAL BREAKER: There was a philosophical design choice made that I didn't notice for the first several hours I was reading the rules that borders on genius. Fate points, Critical Hits, and Ulric's Fury are all present, and in greater abundance, but all are correspondingly weaker than before. Fate points are weaker, and are now called Fortune Points, but they come and go at a much greater rate. They take on the role of version 1's luck points, and version 2's Fortune Points, but are more versatile then either. At the same time, version 2's fortune points being used to take an extra half-action is represented by Stress and Fatigue points, as well as Fortune Points. By the same token, Critical Hits are weaker, but occur much more often, and the same is true of insanities and extra damage. Extra Damage and effects are scored more often, but are not open ended.

So what you have are more tools actually having an effect, and being available for use by player or GM, rather than powerful effects (Critical Hits, Insanities, Ulric's Fury) occuring far more rarely.

The the balance is maintained, Warhammer is still Warhammer, but it means more fun AND challenge: Many Weaker Effects = Fewer Powerful Effects.

Some quick notes: The dice pool was met with generally positive approval, I really enjoyed it. Everyone thought the Stance mechanic was fantastic (IMO could be the best of the new mechanics). After 1st Edition's horrible magic system (I know it wasn't the fault of the designers), and 2nd Edition's vast improvement, 3rd Edition has lived up to the pattern and has mastered WFRP Magic. Warhammer is still deadly -- the second session saw the death of the Troll-Slayer.

Best of all, there were several commits by players familiar with the setting, even if not familiar with the other WFRP versions along the lines of, "Well, it is Warhammer".

And that kind of says it all. It IS still Warhammer.

Great review. I appreciate your wrap up. Especially the "deal breaker" stuff.

Excellent review and some good thoughts. I will point out, however, that if you hit you *will* do a minimum of 1 Wound to an enemy. The enemy could have a T of 10 and an armor soak of 10 for 20 total soak ... and a player could do a measly 6 Wounds potential (S+DR), and 1 Wound would still be caused. So, no one is invulnerable. However, picking away like that isn't probably the best use for that PC then. One of the cool things, as you pointed out, is that they can do things like Guarded Position, to increase the defense of the other PCs involved in the engagement while those that can do significant damage (like the Trollslayer) can more safely do so.

dvang said:

I will point out, however, that if you hit you *will* do a minimum of 1 Wound to an enemy.

Absolutely right, unfortunately I forgot this while running the game as well. The Troll-Slayer would have died anyway from the death throes attack, leaving the Roadwarden with fewer scars.

Anyway, good point. Thanks.

Excellent reviewthanks. Sounds like the game is overcoming the objections that old-timers have been having.