Blizzard at precipice

By Rigmaster, in Talisman Rules Questions

I'm guessing that blizzard and other multiple turn events are dependent on the card just like everything else. So if you draw it at a precipice space it will disappear immediately and you won't have any movement restrictions.

Then this means you can destroy the blizzard with a destruction spell if you want to.

Am I correct in my assumptions..?

Yes

Second that.

Agreed, FAQ offers answer that's similar in nature:

Q: If a character is enslaved by the Idol and the card is moved or discarded, is he still required to break free from the enslavement?

A: No. The character is automatically set free if this occurs.

Edited by Bludgeon

Thank you. I guess it just make sense that everyone can misread the weather. :)

I like the example, Bludgeon, seems appropriate to use here. It reminds of a discussion concerning the academy (?). The card where you've to pay 3 gold, miss 1 turn and then gain 1 strength or craft. If you pay gold and then, before you've missed your turn, the academy is destroyed. Do you, then, gain your point or do you get a refund or is all you can do curse your bad luck..?

Good question lol. You immediately gain the point and lose the gold, so that couldn't be undone, I suppose technically if destroyed before you miss your turn you would simply not miss that turn.

Thank you. I guess it just make sense that everyone can misread the weather. :)

I like the example, Bludgeon, seems appropriate to use here. It reminds of a discussion concerning the academy (?). The card where you've to pay 3 gold, miss 1 turn and then gain 1 strength or craft. If you pay gold and then, before you've missed your turn, the academy is destroyed. Do you, then, gain your point or do you get a refund or is all you can do curse your bad luck..?

All card effects should be played as if nothing can interrupt their effects "unless it says so like with counterspell" so in effect all that happens before any other effect can trigger in between. This of course is not in the rules but it fixes so many timing issues and game probs its not funny not to mention being very fair and easy to implement.

So with the Academy its like "a agreement reached" so all of its effects are played out even if its discarded, cards like Blizzard are different because they last for a number of rounds.

Edited by Uvatha

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/8656-the-academy-and-earthquake/?hl=%2Bacademy+%2Bdestruction#entry84832

The discussion ended differently last time but I don't think we'll ever get a faq answer. I could play it either way and until something from ffg is announced we'll continue to play it as we always. The same way you describe in this discussion. But the real question is: when do you get your skill point; before or after training..?

But I agree with you joker2016 - it's a good question! :)

Well me and Ell have disagreed on many a ruling. I suppose a nice house rule should be put in place for this nut :) . But because in effect the losing (discarding) of Academy is in effect interrupting the effect of the card its a bit rude. I personally do think its a effect that happens and is played out no matter what happens with the card (once gold is paid of course).

Answer Rigmaster you get the bonus after the missed turn, But other effects that stop the missed turn "instead of losing it" are allowed.

Edited by Uvatha

I completely disagree with you guys. So I go to get trained by a private instructor, pay them the money. I show up to training and they have disappeared and ran off with my money..... I am out the cash and the experience.

I completely disagree with you guys. So I go to get trained by a private instructor, pay them the money. I show up to training and they have disappeared and ran off with my money..... I am out the cash and the experience.

Can't use simple logic to explain how Talisman should work rule-wise otherwise how do we get a swamp in the desert (or even Blizzard) and the rest of the zillions of "WTF" going ons :) .

My bad. The question should be 'do we agree to pay gold and miss a turn to gain a point or do we pay gold, miss the turn and then gain the point?'. First case the whole deal is fixed, second every part is dependent upon the other. I agree you can't use logic but some cards can be read in many ways.

Sorry for bringing this up again... ;)

When you think about it saying that if the Academy gets discarded you just lose the gold you paid and don't get the training, well the same should go for all effects that say "lose a turn" even those that just get discarded. What about the enemy card - Medusa. What if you get defeated by her then next turn someone kills her then takes her as a trophy and uses her "with another trophy" to gain a craft thus discarding the Medusa. But with the latter thinking then the player does not need to lose 2 turns because the card that generates the effect is discarded. This we know is not the case at all? The player lost the psychic combat and then takes the penalty even if the Medusa later gets discarded before the penalty-effect gets played out.

But a effect that's on going for a amount of rounds, its effect does go away if the card does.

See when this causes a lot of other rule problems.

When you think about it saying that if the Academy gets discarded you just lose the gold you paid and don't get the training, well the same should go for all effects that say "lose a turn" even those that just get discarded. What about the enemy card - Medusa. What if you get defeated by her then next turn someone kills her then takes her as a trophy and uses her "with another trophy" to gain a craft thus discarding the Medusa. But with the latter thinking then the player does not need to lose 2 turns because the card that generates the effect is discarded. This we know is not the case at all? The player lost the psychic combat and then takes the penalty even if the Medusa later gets discarded before the penalty-effect gets played out.

With Medusa though, the person lost 2 turns because of an immediate effect (turned to stone) so this is not really comparable. With Medusa and some other cards losing the turn is an EFFECT of the event. With the Academy missing a turn and paying the gold, the cost is put up front and you are rewarded for this. The caveat is though, the academy would still need be present.

You are right, there are so many of these instances in which it is not clear because turns and rounds have no real specified order but I think some cards are obvious to their intent.

With Medusa though, the person lost 2 turns because of an immediate effect (turned to stone) so this is not really comparable. With Medusa and some other cards losing the turn is an EFFECT of the event. With the Academy missing a turn and paying the gold, the cost is put up front and you are rewarded for this. The caveat is though, the academy would still need be present.

You are right, there are so many of these instances in which it is not clear because turns and rounds have no real specified order but I think some cards are obvious to their intent.

Why isn't it comparable - why isn't the Academy also a Immediate effect? Do you need the card in play saying "lose a turn" to lose a turn.

Academy: "For every 3 gold you pay, you must miss 1 turn, but gain 1 point of Strength or Craft".

Medusa: "If you are defeated, you do not lose a life. Instead, you must miss your next 2 turns".

Talisman Core Rules: Losing A Turn: Any instructions that result in the loss of a turn by the character encountering them ends the character’s turn immediately.

This counts as a missed turn for that character if there are other cards to be encountered; otherwise, he misses his next turn instead.

So why does the Academy need to be around to have its effects, effect you once you pay the gold? Other than "simple logic" that is. If Medusa is a Immediate Effect then tne Academy is as well once the gold is payed.

I'll just point to the digital edition once again: the moment you pay, you gain the point, or multiple points if you lay enough. I'm actually going to agree with uvatha for once or at least in part: you definitely gain however many points you paid for immediately, and still miss the turns even if the academy is destroyed. Reading the actual card verbage makes it obvious: pay gold, you then gain the points and must miss the turns. Pretty easy actually.

It doesn't say you lose a turn and then gain a point, it says you must miss a turn, and you gain a point, that's a vital difference.

I'll just point to the digital edition once again: the moment you pay, you gain the point, or multiple points if you lay enough. I'm actually going to agree with uvatha for once or at least in part: you definitely gain however many points you paid for immediately, and still miss the turns even if the academy is destroyed. Reading the actual card verbage makes it obvious: pay gold, you then gain the points and must miss the turns. Pretty easy actually.

Yeah well even I have to admit that seriously you should gain the bonus as soon as you pay the gold. That way its all done and makes more sense in the long term.

So we all agree again but on a different solution. Life is good. :)

So we all agree again but on a different solution. Life is good. :)

BAH, I still disagree. ;-)

But life is good anyway even though you guys are wrong! :P

Care to explain why you disagree?