Has anyone made up any new Origin Path options?

By HappyDaze, in Rogue Trader House Rules

I've been hoping to see some new Origin Path options, particularly Birthrights and Motivations, but it doesn't seem as if anyone is putting any out. There are certainly aspects that havn't been covered by the current options, so who's up for throwing a few out there?

As an example, here's a Birthright I put together for a Renegade House Navigator.

Hunted

You have always lived your life on the run from your enemies.

Effect: You gain the Paranoia Talent and gain Awareness as a trained Basic Skill. You gain a bonus of +5 to your choice of Perception or Willpower, but you suffer both -5 Fellowship and 1d5 Insanity Points.

Here are a few of the Birthrights I'm thinking of developing;

Dispossessed (fallen from a high place)

Drudge Laborer (the working stiffs of the Imperium)

Pariah (this one's aimed at Renegade House Navigators, but could also cover other outcasts)

Partisan (you come from an enemy occupied home world)

Tradesman (your family had a profession they passed on to you)

While this is something of a tangent, I'm curious as to what people's opinion of the origin path system in general is.

In my group, the consensus we've more or less reached is that while we like the idea, we find this implementation somewhat inflexible, and are'nt wild about many of the choices. While we seem somewhat more averse to insanity/corruption points then the rest of the board, I'm interested in other people's thoughts.

Vyacheslav said:

While this is something of a tangent, I'm curious as to what people's opinion of the origin path system in general is.

In my group, the consensus we've more or less reached is that while we like the idea, we find this implementation somewhat inflexible, and are'nt wild about many of the choices. While we seem somewhat more averse to insanity/corruption points then the rest of the board, I'm interested in other people's thoughts.

I think it's quite good myself. However, for the campaign I'm just about to start GMing for I'm allowing minor divergence on the Origin Path to create somewhat unique characters to more fit the roles they'll be playing with some incredibly diverse and well thought out characters evolving from people's more limited options for their character background.

Thusfar I've allowed a noble-esque character to diverge from his Origin path so that he can include Criminal in his path, since we decided that he'd be a Noble of one planet who was falling into decadence such as slave trading and orgies, the arbites found him, shot one of his arms off and he was judged and imprisoned. Now he has High Vendetta to represent his hatred for the Arbites and what they did to someone such as himself (arrogant, obviously).

I've written up a career (Chirugeon), but no origin paths. It still needs tweaking though (and fitting into the origin dynamic).

I'm working on a melee-based Career Path primarily intended for Ogryn. I can't seem to find a better name for it than "Ripper" - and I'll bend the fluff to say that no one's sure if Ogryn warriors were first called Rippers which then spread to their trademark guns or if they picked up the name from the weapons. It's going to be less versatile than the Archmilitant, and it'll give up a great deal of the shooty picks for a tighter focus on melee.

Normal0MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

I dunno, it seems like they didn't change any of the feel of DH for this run off. I was expecting more Adventure than Dark Horror of the WH40K world. I know that's what the world does, but it doesn't mean it gets the nod of approval when certain levels of the origin path have only two options to not get corruption/insanity points. I just happen to agree with Vyacheslav that I am far more wary of the IP/CP before I ever get into the game. So I too was looking for alternative Origin Path creations, I know the world less well having only come to it in the last few years, so I know my creations would lack the same feel as the current ones. Also a lot of the trade offs for Enemy (Large Imperium Organization) seem paltry. The Ecclesiarchy hates you, but hey you have a +3 to your Willpower! I know this may sound like munchkinning, but the world has enough ways to main, murder, corrupt, and otherwise drive you insane, I don't think it needs such a large leg-up in the character creation process.

Well enough of my complaints. On to something actually constructive to try to actually answer some of the original poster's questions. I and a friend were working on two new Motivations since the current ones according to him read like a modified Seven Deadly Sins almost. Faith and Knowledge because it seems silly that you have to be a self-centered jerk to be on an RT ship.

Faith: Your belief is strong in whatever you place it in, your crew, your self, The God Emperor of Man or the Omnimessiah. Gain Peer (Object of your Faith) or +3 Willpower. *By Object of your Faith I mean, pick either a segment of the Imperium or Workers since I think that counts as your crew or at least could. I'm not making a new category*

Knowledge: Your quest for knowledge takes you to the stars and beyond, whether to have a book forever added to a great library or to have an unknown advantage, the next academic discovery drives you. Select either two Common Lores or one Scholastic Lore to be trained in.

Still working on something that measures up to the fluff they have, since I really want to gut the Birthright and Lure of the Void levels. I don't mind keeping some of what they have, but it just seems that even though we're PCs and they endlessly say how we're a cut above the rest, so many of these are heavy handed in favor of the negative side, and unlike some games they aren't the interesting kind of downsides. Having an enemy of the Ecclesiarchy doesn't compel me, it means I hide in the ship when the DM inevitably tells us we have to go to a Prayer World or whatever they're called to get something. Maybe I am making too much of some of this, but reading the text of Enemy seems like a -10 isn't all the DM is going to give me when I run into people.

No clue what happened there, just realized it posted without any actual text.

I dunno, it seems like they didn't change any of the feel of DH for this run off. I was expecting more Adventure than Dark Horror of the WH40K world. I know that's what this world does, but it doesn't mean certain levels of the origin path gets a free pass for having only two options to not get corruption/insanity points. I just happen to agree with Vyacheslav that I am far more way of the IP/CP before I even get into the game. So I too was looking for alternative Origin Path creations, I know the world less well having only come to it in the last few years, so I know my creations will lack the same feel as the current ones. Also a lot of the trade offs for Enemy (Large Imperium Organization) seem paltry. The Ecclesiarchy hates you, but hey you have a +3 Willpower! I know this may sound like munchkinning (sp?), but the world has enough ways to maim, murder, corrupt, and otherwise drive you insane, I don't think it needs such a large leg-up in the character creation process. Well enough of my complaints. On to something actually constructive to try to actually answer some of what the original poster was asking for. I and a friend were working on two new Motivations since the current ones, according to him, read like a modified Seven Deadly Sins listing.

Faith: You believe so strongly in something and that drives you forward, be it your crew, yourself, The God Emperor of Man, or the Omnimessiah. Choose either Peer (Object of Faith) or Willpower +3. *Object of Faith is not a new category, replace it with whatever is appropriate.*

Knowledge: The thirst for knowledge drives you to the stars and beyond into the Void. Whether it is to have a book in a great library, an unknown advantage over others, or to make things better for all, you always strive for that next academic endeavor. Choose either 2 Common Lore Skills or one Scholastic Lore Skill as a trained skill.

I am still working on the fluff and mechanics for these and others as well since I pretty much want to gut the Birthright and Lure of the Void levels. Some of it obviously can stay, and no sense removing the fluff that is already solid, but for the most part I see it as rather heavy handed in favor of the negatives. They tell us we are a cut above multiple times in the fluff and then you look at the origin path potentials and it doesn't really seem that way for a lot of them. Any suggestions or comments would be great, I'm a big boy so negative is fine too.

anyone found a way to fit schola progenium and mind-cleansed in the origin path? or should I just swap imperial worlder with schola if player likes that option more?

The best method is to scrap the having to link each level, not as many say just use one free level, literally make each level separate. It's already way too stifling and forces too many character builds to have IP/CP, so our group just tossed it out so we can add on more options at the various levels. I can't speak to those two things though because I've no idea what they are, just that if you're going to put something in and do delink, make sure your players have to do this crazy thing called create a backstory, I mean they should anyway, but forces them to have some decent explanations as to why they are a Vaunted Death Worlder who is a Child of the Creed. If you have the original text for those two things I would be more than happy to try and convert them.

I mean they should anyway, but forces them to have some decent explanations as to why they are a Vaunted Death Worlder who is a Child of the Creed. If you have the original text for those two things I would be more than happy to try and convert them.

The local Ecclesiarch likes his 'muscular boys of exotic orgins" and keeps them well-treated in his harem. Next...

Great contribution there, that was what we call an example for him off the top of my head, not necessarily any kind of difficult put together. Just because you had nothing coherent to contribute doesn't mean you need to be snippy, and in case it was difficult for you to ascertain, the first three words of this post was sarcasm directed at you.

Dyckman86 said:

Great contribution there, that was what we call an example for him off the top of my head, not necessarily any kind of difficult put together. Just because you had nothing coherent to contribute doesn't mean you need to be snippy, and in case it was difficult for you to ascertain, the first three words of this post was sarcasm directed at you.

My post was intended for humor. Either I failed to convey it properly (smiley faces are not really my thing) or you just failed to grasp it. Either way, please tone down the nasty attitude - I wasn't attacking you or your idea of unhitching the Origin Path.