Shelob's Lair

By Paddy, in Strategy and deck-building

G'Day

Has anyone beaten this adventure? I so what decks did you use? We have tried this, and failed several times, two handed, with spirit-leadership and lore-tactics decks.

Cheers

I beat it a couple of times with two players using Faramir(Lea)/Sam/Mablung and Galadriel/Damrod/Haldir.

Stuck around on the first stage for a few turns to build up some power. You can't stay there too long, though, or you'll get location locked.

On stage 2 I took an attack from Shelob as often as I could, basically using some Derndingle Warriors and Treebeard to the defend every round (the Faramir deck was stacked with defenders). Meanwhile the Galadriel deck busied itself by using Out of the Wild to take out treacheries. That deck focused on questing and cancellation. The other thing it did was get 3 Ranger allies set up with Ranger Bow. It was a very long quest stage, and Shelob probably had 15 tokens or more on her by the time I advanced.

Once I advanced I put the Ranger Bows to work. That meant 3 points of damage every round (and when able, an extra point from an attack by Haldir into the staging area). I could remove 4 tokens per round and I never engaged Shelob. Eventually defeated her in this way.

My friend and I beat it with Dain/Thorin/Ori and Elrond/Glorfindel/Bifur decks. We played it blindly, not realizing that the resources would prevent us from damaging Shelob...

She had something like 15-20 resources on her so it took many rounds for us to win since we didn't have any ranged damage.

We used Ranger Bows as well, if I recall correctly. Direct damage really helps.

I beat it 2-handed solo with a pair of power decks: an Elrond / Splorfindel / Loragorn deck designed to abuse both Vilya and the Wandering Took+Song of Earendil combo, and a Gandalf / Galadriel / Tactics Merry quester. One-hit Shelob with 11 resources on her with the help of ally Beorn, Treebeard, and such.

One-hit Shelob with 11 resources on her with the help of ally Beorn, Treebeard, and such.

As I read it, when you hit Shelob you have to cancel all the damage and remove only 1 token, and no more than 1 token. So with 11 resources on her you'd need to hit her 11 times (not "11 damage," but 11 separate instances of damage) before you could actually place damage tokens on her.

One-hit Shelob with 11 resources on her with the help of ally Beorn, Treebeard, and such.

As I read it, when you hit Shelob you have to cancel all the damage and remove only 1 token, and no more than 1 token. So with 11 resources on her you'd need to hit her 11 times (not "11 damage," but 11 separate instances of damage) before you could actually place damage tokens on her.

Ohh, snap, you're right. Great, back to the drawing board...

We have found that Shelob gets too many resources. However we did make it as far as the 3B once before our threat hit 50 :(

Thanks for the idea of using Ranger bows, we'll try that next, plus any other bows that I have.

I beat it 2-handed solo with a pair of power decks: an Elrond / Splorfindel / Loragorn deck designed to abuse both Vilya and the Wandering Took+Song of Earendil combo, and a Gandalf / Galadriel / Tactics Merry quester. One-hit Shelob with 11 resources on her with the help of ally Beorn, Treebeard, and such.

Okay, so I took the same pair of decks against Shelob's Lair again. This time, vaguely annoyed that I had to play the quest over, I systematically whittled down Shelob's resource cache (I think the max on her was 6) without using any direct damage, then completely overkilled her with 51 damage to finish the quest. I also had 69 progress on the final stage.

Yup, OP decks are OP.

Okay, so I took the same pair of decks against Shelob's Lair again. This time, vaguely annoyed that I had to play the quest over, I systematically whittled down Shelob's resource cache (I think the max on her was 6) without using any direct damage, then completely overkilled her with 51 damage to finish the quest. I also had 69 progress on the final stage.

Yup, OP decks are OP.

Yup, OP decks are OP.

Hahaha I had a similar experience. She had 6 resources on her when I got to Stage 3 and it took a fair while to get all those resources off her especially when most turns she would gain one through shadow or treachery effects. I was able to attack with both decks/players however with Ranged characters so was able to remove 2 resources a turn from her.

When I was able to attack her and actually do damage it was something ludicrous like 30 or 40 damage with 2 Rivendell Blades reducing her amour to nothing as well.

This is the fourth or fifth boss of this nature now and I have to say I really really love some of them and others I really really hate..... I'm actually going to make a new topic about this as I think it is a fairly interesting subject and new element of the game!

On 3/14/2016 at 2:11 PM, sappidus said:

However, the campaign rules indicate that one can't use any card with "Aragorn", so the first deck wouldn't work in campaign mode?

On 3/14/2016 at 3:09 PM, GrandSpleen said:

I sure wish that Shelob was like Captain Sahir in City of Corsairs where each damage point removes a resource. That would make this quest much more playable, especially for use of a thematic deck.

Can anybody let us know what cards they used to beat this quest? I see people just stating what heroes they used. Does anybody have a card-list?

14 hours ago, gpd924 said:

Can anybody let us know what cards they used to beat this quest? I see people just stating what heroes they used. Does anybody have a card-list?

Here is a couple of decks the Warden of Arnor used to beat this quest: http://ringsdb.com/fellowship/view/2464/the-line-unbroken-shelob-s-lair

He needed two attempts to beat this quest, which you can watch on youtube, the links are on the ringsdb site.