Death Nightmare - Foundation Pop

By Shaneth, in UFS Deck Building

Trying to build a Nightmare Foundation Denial deck that is somewhat decent.

Characters: 1
1x 6/6 Nightmare* (death/evil/fire) +0M

Assets: 8
3x 2/5 Tekken Forces (death)
3x 3/5 Tower of Remembrance - Encounter (death/evil/fire) +2L
2x 2/5 Path of the Master (inf) +2M

Attacks: 12
4x 4/3 1M4 Flooded-Nile Throw (death) +3H
4x 5/3 3M5 Crushing Embrace of the Jotun (death/fire)
4x 5/3 2M4 Sandstorm Throw (death) +2M

Foundations: 40
4x 1/5 Brooding (death/fire) +3H
4x 1/4 Cursed Blood (death) +3L
4x 2/5 All Life is Prey (death/evil/fire) +3L
4x 2/5 Intimidating Presence (death/evil/fire)
4x 2/5 Ka Technique (death) +3M
4x 2/5 Perfect Sence of Balance (death)
4x 2/4 Valued but Not Trusted (death)
4x 3/4 Memories that Stain it's Armor (death/evil/fire) +4M
4x 3/5 The Azure Knight (death/evil/fire) +3H
4x 3/5 War Between Sisters (death) +3M

Cards Maindecked: 61

Basis is to utilize the Throw attacks in conjunction with Nightmare and Intimidating Presence. Most of the time, you will fall short in the foundation race, so Tekken Forces comes in handy there where you basically blow up the top cards of your deck to ruin your opponent's board. If you ever get really behind in the foundation race, Tower-Encounter slowly helps out.

Cursed Blood is really key if you're trying to rush the opponent. The deck is 2/3rds foundations, so you will hit hit Cursed Blood more than half of the time. Perfect Sense of Balance can (most of the time) put a monkey wrench into the opponent, especially with stun being prevelant. War Between Sisters IMO is crazy good for both abilities.

One real problem is Stand Off, but I have a couple of counters. First off, a majority of my attacks are 4dmg, so Stand Off makes them do 0. A single Brooding will pump it enough so that it can trigger Intimidating Presence. This plan fails if they have more damage redux out. The second option is Valued but Not Trusted, as it can blank any and all Stand Offs for the duration of the attack. You can't do it all the time tho. The third and probably best option is Memories that Stain it's Armor, as it completely nukes a Stand Off. This is of course countered by multiple Stand Offs on the field.. At any rate, you could always commit 2 foundations to stop it, which will probably happen most of the time.

Once you have nuked their board, you can start slowly killing with stuff like:
Foundation -> Foundation -> Attack + Path
Azure Knight will help finishing a game in plenty situations.

I am currently torn between Death and Fire. It seems better off Fire because I would obtain critical cards like Stand Off, but I will lose out on Cursed Blood and Tekken Forces, two critical pieces to a successful control build. I guess I COULD dual-symbol, but that seems bad with a 6HS and especially at this point in time. I guess it could work. What do you all think?

I really like the deck. The only thing that bothers me is that it seems like it will be a little tough to kill anyone. I'd consider Unstoppable warrior, just because it helps pump up your All Life is Prey and more than likely you wont start using them until you're going for your kill. Certainly you'll be whacking your opponent throughout the match to keep them down, so the idea of a supper pumped up attack to eliminate the remainder of your opponents Life isnt too far fetched.

I like the look of the deck. Similar to my original Jin Death deck in a few ways. A few suggestions though:

Ymirfang: Destruction for Damage. And possible asset destruction if needed. I would say Unstoppable Warrior, but most Throws are not at that 5+ damage.

I don't think Path is really going to do much for you in the end. Assuming you can play 1-2 foundations, that just increases the difficulty of the attack, meaning there is that much less damage pump options on your field. I would say that, unless you add in a few more of Nightmare's attacks, you may want to look at other options.

That said, Dark Bite and Leg Slash were my goto attacks when I started my deck. I know Dark Bite does not have a block, but with momentum becoming more important, it is useful. Leg Slash's Breaker can be key, too.

And how about Maniacal Laughter? Foundation destruction plus foundation commit to reduce the effectiveness of Stand Off etc. The momentum gen is not important, I guess, but the Stun can be a nice way to cut down the defenses of the opponent.

-Tinman

Tinman is right, nix the Unstoppable warrior idea, but Ymirfang is a good call. Also, I agree that Leg slash is a great attack, but it does break the all throws mold. If you do throw in a 4th playset of throws, you could consider strength of ages, its actually pretty solid once you're on your 3rd or higher throw. Hell maybe even throw in Bracers of Horus and Set for the +3?

Needs more power. How you get it is your call.

More attacks maybe? feels like you have abit to few.. up them to 16, that way you will draw them more consistantly and can destroy more at the same time

I've tried Nightmare for quite a while, and I've found that Tower of Remembrance - Encounter isn't really that good, especially not when you run Tekken Forces, since then your opponent need to have 3 more foundations than you for it to even do something. 4 more foundations if you have PotM in play. This is if they don't have any assets in play, but even if they did I didn't find it very worthwhile.

Spinning Demon is an attack you might want to consider. Since you play 12 throws momentum shouldn't be that big of a problem, and you might want to consider running Maniacal Laughter anyway. Ka Technique feels so-so, since if you want to use Nightmare's R (which you almost always want to, when you can), they'll just blow the foundation that was blanked. Sure, you can use it on their turn as well, but more often than not you want as few foundations as possible which you do not want to blow up. That is, you always want fuel for Intimidating Presence, sometimes you won't draw your Tekken Forces and sometimes you have 2x Intimidating in play.

You also might not want to play 12x 3-diff foundations, since if you wound up with 3 of them and some assets and an attack it might be hard to play all of them, which you often want. Also, War Between Sisters is another of those cards you don't really want to use for fuel for IP, which is annoying at times. Also, I don't really see the point in Valued but Not Trusted, but I haven't tried it, maybe it's good. I just didn't like running too many 4-checks together with too many 5-diff attacks.

Evil Intentions will allow for sniping a particular foundation, and it's a low block.

I like the all-throw aspect, but I'm a ***** for Hunger for Souls so...

Evil Intentions just doesn't vibe right with me. You're trying to play a control deck in 90% of matchups; you need all the cards you can lay your greedy hands on, and Evil Intentions drops your most important foundation AND another precious block. Even when you take out their Stand Off with it, is that worth your War Between Sisters/Intimidating Presence?

Dual-symbol seems like a good bet... Financial Troubles is just dirty in this deck once you're feeling relatively safe, and it's hard to deal with Stand Off when you have no board (usually, heavy stun kinda goes around it). And Cursed Blood/Tekken seem simply too strong to leave out of the deck.

hey there

i like the deck as well it looks pretty good and soild. but why you not using Vengeance its a good card if anyone deals 4 or more damage to you. and bye bye more foundations on there turn lol see what you think.

canada1

To be honest, I'm dying to see how you're actually going to kill someone. Someone in my playgroup made a deck that was fairly similar to this (more attacks though), and they were absolutely steamrollered by all of our aggro decks. I believe you have too much to deal with in that you don't deny a whole lot of options before your throw blows something up, you're gonna have to pump almost everything up a notch in the damage department to blow something up (since 1-3 speed ain't exactly hard to block), let alone when you actually go for the kill. I feel that a lineup of naturally fast attacks (think Upper Claw and Shadow Flare with Dread Pirate for recursion) would serve Nightmare* better, since you want to keep their foundation count from getting too high quickly, and 5 speed is a mean block to make T2.

Eiserne drossel or Ostreinsburg castle twilight... if you are going to stick with throws, then you will need speed aswell :)

Also agree with lord aggro about upperclaw, that attack is very good.