Ancient Rivals

By divinityofnumber, in Star Wars: The Card Game

nice!!!!

I love pretty much all of this.

Ahsoka, the new Fate Cards and A New Beginning look incredibly effective and I love that Jedi and Sith are getting real, mechanical reasons to oppose eachother. Which...just, theme. So much lovely, Nedly theme.

Not to mention, Custom Paint Job is such an interesting card and I love the idea of more Don't Get Cocky.

Very, very happy.

EDIT:

I do wonder how these very specific rivalries will effect deck-building considerations though. After all, some of these effects are going to be a drag on your deck if you are, say, a Jedi deck going up against Scum.

Also--how amazing is the art on the Ancient Rivals Fate Card?

Edited by JonofPDX

I do wonder how these very specific rivalries will effect deck-building considerations though. After all, some of these effects are going to be a drag on your deck if you are, say, a Jedi deck going up against Scum.

They still work for their Force pips. And you can still get rid of neutral edge-stuffers (discarding a Wicket or Chirpa will bring the DS player at least 1 force-icon closer to winning the edge battle)

And it wouldn't be the first Fate card you can't always trigger ... "Battle of Hoth" is also conditional on either you or your opponent having Hoth objectives in play.

They still work for their Force pips. And you can still get rid of neutral edge-stuffers (discarding a Wicket or Chirpa will bring the DS player at least 1 force-icon closer to winning the edge battle)

And it wouldn't be the first Fate card you can't always trigger ... "Battle of Hoth" is also conditional on either you or your opponent having Hoth objectives in play.

Sure--the Battle of Hoth and Battle of Endor suffer from a similar problem. But the difference I see between the Battle Fate Cards and the new Rivalry Fate Cards is player control. You can tune your deck to make Battle of Hoth more or less efficient based on what pods you decide to run. But with the Rivals Fate Cards, you are at the mercy of what your opponent decides to ditch into the Edge Stack.

And that's my point. I don't think these new cards are bad. I actually think they have the potential to be great. But they're also occasionally going to miss completely. They're swingy. And that element of randomness--and the increased potential for head games and fake-outs in the Edge Battle--is going to be an interesting addition to the game.

And yeah, sure, they're always going to be worth their 2 Force Icons. And the fact that they do allow you to remove a neutral goes a long way to still letting them be very playable. But it does mean that some decks are going to be somewhat more or less powerful depending on factors that are outside of your control as the deck-builder.