Stealing agenda also caused me to flatline: what happens first?

By Junjie2, in Android: Netrunner Rules Questions

I'm fairly new to NetRunner so I'm not 100% on all the rules.

I was making a run against my friend, who was playing as Jinteki. We were using jinteki.net and used the North American Championship decks for Runner and Corp. I wish I had written these cards down, but I'll try to explain the situation as best as I can.

I make a run at his servers with 5 agenda points and 2 cards in my grip. The run is successful and I access Fetal AI which is worth 2 points. He pays 2 credits and the agenda deals 2 net damage to me: I lose my 2 cards.

I pay 2 credits and then steal the agenda. At this point I should have 7 total points. However, Jinteki deals 1 net damage to me, so I lose a card I don't have and flatline.

Does the Jinteki special effect resolve first killing me, or does stealing the agenda resolve first meaning I win?

Edited by Junjie

Fetal AI can flatline you before you win, as it occurs before the agenda is stolen. Jinteki: Personal Evolution cannot, as it triggers when the agenda is stolen, but the rules state that you immediately win whenever you have 7 or more agenda points. Effects that happen "immediately" take precedence over anything else going on in the game. In the above scenario, the runner would win.

The corp shouldn't have to pay 2 credits to deal the damage from Fetal AI, though. Might have been a case of mis-remembering?

Edited by uhhsam

The corp shouldn't have to pay 2 credits to deal the damage from Fetal AI, though. Might have been a case of mis-remembering?

Oops, I must have been thinking about the 2 credits I have to pay to steal it. I was really miffed that I had to pay to steal...