FFG Sale - Which Sets to Buy for Starting out?

By almalik, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

I became interested int he game when they announced they were switching to the LCG format and coming out with a new core set. I had planned to pick up the core set, but might not now (thanks Amazon!).

I am debating picking up a couple of the cheap booster boxes at the FFG sale instead. Which sets do people recommend if a person was looking to create a common shared card pool to create decks/draft out of for casual play with friends? Would it be best to pick an Iron Thrones booster box and the two expansions to that set or something else? Would this also give me access to some/most of the main characters in one incarnation or another to appeal to those in the group who have read the books (I'm just guessing that there are multiple versions of the unique characters out there, ie. Jon Stark the bastard, Jon Stark of the Night's Watch, Jon Stark: Jedi Apprentice, etc.). Would this also provide a reasonably balanced play environment for each of the different factions

If I'm really not going to be playing in any tournaments (I'm out in the booneys location-wise), is it still worth it to skip the ccg period of the game and just stick to picking up the core set and chapter packs?

I'd suggest picking up booster boxes of Five Kings instead of Iron Throne. Most of the main, recognizable unique characters are in that set - many of them as very playable uncommons instead of rares - and you will be able to do the common pool/draft setup that you mention. Also, if you do decide to go ahead and get the Core Set and boosters, the Five Kings set will mesh particularly well with those LCG-era cards. (The Clash of Arms chapter pack cycle in particular seems to assume access to cards from the Five Kings set.)