Gregor Clegane

By TheBlackStones, in Rules Questions

Hey all,

simple question that got brought up in a game Thursday night. With Gregor Clegane, if you discard a character with his pillage ability, it says you can kill a character with a printed cost equal to the discarded one. Does this mean the character you kill has to match the cost exactly. Or that it could by anything up to that amount? Was not 100% sure and I'm thinking it's the latter but just felt it would be good to double check.

Gregor's text:

"Then, you may choose and kill a character with printed cost equal to that card’s printed cost."

Since it doesn't say "equal to or lower," the printed cost must match exactly.

Compare the text on Gregor to cards like Vaes Dothrak, Take the Black, Queen of Thorns, etc. as practical examples of the difference.

Other question : in play was Sir Davos, the pillaged card was Sir Davos too... since the pillaged card if it is a character is going directly to dead pile ; what happened to the IN PLAY Sir Davos ?

I argue with the other that since he is dead, the Davos in play is dead too with no chance to return in hand of the player ? that is really the only way to put him out of the play definitely ... no ?

then since the player didnt want to put him too in his dead pile, wew reread dead pile rules and it is saying that we cant interact with dead pile characters, and that if by some event a dead pile characters can be release of his dantesque place, he can be returned only if he has only one copy on the dead pile...

so my conclusion is Davos is dead in dead pile, and something like a walking dead in play : the player cant play or do some challenge with Zombie Davos until the one copy in the dead pile is somethink like resurrected and then Sir Davos in play would get out of his coma, if not he stay unactive until end of world...

is it the good interpretation ? other player argue too about dead spikes plot saying that it was the same thing ...

and finally if I choose to dead him too is Davos returned to hand but could not be played anymore since he is in the dead pile ...?

thanks for answer...

Other question : in play was Sir Davos, the pillaged card was Sir Davos too... since the pillaged card if it is a character is going directly to dead pile ; what happened to the IN PLAY Sir Davos ?

I argue with the other that since he is dead, the Davos in play is dead too with no chance to return in hand of the player ? that is really the only way to put him out of the play definitely ... no ?

then since the player didnt want to put him too in his dead pile, wew reread dead pile rules and it is saying that we cant interact with dead pile characters, and that if by some event a dead pile characters can be release of his dantesque place, he can be returned only if he has only one copy on the dead pile...

so my conclusion is Davos is dead in dead pile, and something like a walking dead in play : the player cant play or do some challenge with Zombie Davos until the one copy in the dead pile is somethink like resurrected and then Sir Davos in play would get out of his coma, if not he stay unactive until end of world...

is it the good interpretation ? other player argue too about dead spikes plot saying that it was the same thing ...

and finally if I choose to dead him too is Davos returned to hand but could not be played anymore since he is in the dead pile ...?

thanks for answer...

Davos is in play ---> Pillage card going to Deadpile is Davos----> Davos in play remains in play, but if he is killed later on, he will go back to the players hand, but cannot then be marshalled again.

However, if you were to select Davos as the target for Gregor's text: "Then, you may choose and kill a character with printed cost equal to that card’s printed cost."

Then yes, the in play Davos would be dead (unless saved).

Edited by KelSaor

The rules only check the dead pile against characters that you attempt to Marshal or put into play. They don't check the dead pile against characters that are in play for any reason. So, if a copy of a character that is already legally in play finds its way into the dead pile, there is no direct impact or effect on the copy that is in play. It continues to function normally. However, you would not be able to Marshal or put into play another copy of that character - including dupes - because of the copy in your dead pile.

What this means in your situation is that the Pillaged copy of Davos that ends up in the dead pile doesn't mean anything to the copy still in play. It can attack, defend, contribute to dominance, etc. - just like any other character. And his "return to hand" ability still works, too. If you decide to kill Davos with the rest of Gregor's ability, he could send himself back to hand instead of the dead pile. Of course, once he's there , he is pretty much useless because the copy in the dead pile stops him from being Marshaled or put into play.