Bestiary: "default values" for "typical gear" and CR

By Reaper Steve, in WFRP Rules Questions

Hey all,

I'm studiously studying the rules and prepping for this weekend and I have a monster stat line question:

To avoid spoilers, I'll reference the example sheet from a few previews ago that shows the Beastmen entries. First, the top of the right column of p.46 reads: "These numbers represent the default values assuming that the NPC listed is outfitted with typical gear or trappings."

OK, but looking at the Beastmen entry, it doesn't really list the "typical gear." So, does the listed DRs of 4, 4, and 5 for Ungors, Gors, and Wargors, respectively, assume they are just using their claws?

If I give my Ungors spears (to match the GW models) does their DR change to the listed spear value of 5 (or 6 if used two-handed?) Likewise, would a Wargor with a Great Weapon like in the illustration have a DR of 7 instead of the printed 5?

Finally, what is the CR (crit rating) for a monster's attacks without hand weapons? I can't find any mention of CR except in the weapon list--do boons not help monsters make criticals?

Thanks! And FFG... thanks for an absolutely fantastic and groundbreaking system paired with the best fantasy RPG setting!

Steve

Well, if you look at the Beastman's Basic action, it says that it "lashes out with fists, horns, claws, or weapons to pummel its foes". So, I would consider that the Beastmen's natural weapons (all listed above) have a DR value of 4/4/5 regardless of what actually strikes.

If a GM replaces a creature's equipment, they are supposed to use the values for the new equipment (pg 46, right side, first paragraph)

There is no CR listed, so unless you give them equipment they don't have a CR as far as I can tell. Of course, an awful lot of creature attacks, including basic 0 recharge ones, cause critical damage anyway ...

dvang said:

Well, if you look at the Beastman's Basic action, it says that it "lashes out with fists, horns, claws, or weapons to pummel its foes". So, I would consider that the Beastmen's natural weapons (all listed above) have a DR value of 4/4/5 regardless of what actually strikes.

I read it that even if I give an Ungor a spear an increase its DR to 5 (6 if two-handed,) it can use the Savage Strike action with the spear (especially seeing thats the only basic attack they have.)

Was it ever mentioned if there were entries for Skaven in the Core Bestiary?

Necrozius said:

Was it ever mentioned if there were entries for Skaven in the Core Bestiary?

I don't believe it was mentioned anywhere. I will not confirm nor deny this, except to say that all the most common Warhammer opponents seem to be represented in the beastiary. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Sorry the skavens were off getting Taco Bell when the role call for the bestiary was being taken so they have been excluded however we may see them in a future supplement called attack from Taco Bell gran_risa.gif

I think we're going to need a chart :)

Jay h

I had the 'CR' problem too. Monsters don't have one. At first I was like WTF!?! But then I realized, it actually allowed me to give them whatever weapon I want instead of being stuck with what was handed to me.

If you run off the assumption that all monsters are by default armed with a standard handweapon, then it would be DR:5;CR3. From there, you arm your monsters as you see fit, but use the above as the 'default'. So, you could give one a 2HW or a Spear with no problems.

This may have been mentioned somewhere, but I didn't find it before the game.