Energy supply for E- and Chainswords

By Mosquitez, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

Helo. I'm currently running a Dark heresy round with a couple if friends and a question came up if energy and chain swords need some kind if fuel to function. According to a friend you need some kind of "battery pack" to keep an energy weapon functionable and that the weapon ist connected with named power source. I never heard of this and also never saw any concept Art of an energy or chain weapon that was connected to a power source to keep it running. Is this indeed the case with named weapons?

The Kasrkin Sergeant fig shows his power sword being connected to an external power supply:

Imperial_Guard_Cadian_Kasrkin_Sergeant.g

But there are no official rules for how long the internal power supply lasts...

Well, if we go by the DH RAW, then:

1) Corebook p.140, "Power Weapon s" section: "Many of these weapons conceal their true nature via subtle power packs and energy projection veins, appearing as a normal weapon until activated when crackles of lightning run across the blade." - That means that power weapon can have an external power source , but most more likely do not have it .

2) Inquisitor's Handbook p.180, "Power Fist": "Power fists are more common as part of power armour suits where the massive power requirements can be met by integral energy packs, but some elite Imperial forces and high-ranking officers also use them with the aid of backpack power sources." - Example of weapon that requires an external power source .

3) IH p.135 , "Sollex-Aegis Energy Blade": "Additionally, the blade consumes canister fuel, just as a plasma pistol does, with each canister worn on the belt and fed via a cable to the hilt (good for 10 rounds of continuous operation)." - The only example of energy source consumption by power weapon that I can remember.

Well, if we go by the DH RAW, then:

1) Corebook p.140, "Power Weapons" section: "Many of these weapons conceal their true nature via subtle power packs and energy projection veins, appearing as a normal weapon until activated when crackles of lightning run across the blade." - That means that power weapon can have an external power source, but most more likely do not have it.

2) Inquisitor's Handbook p.180, "Power Fist": "Power fists are more common as part of power armour suits where the massive power requirements can be met by integral energy packs, but some elite Imperial forces and high-ranking officers also use them with the aid of backpack power sources." - Example of weapon that requires an external power source.

3) IH p.135, "Sollex-Aegis Energy Blade": "Additionally, the blade consumes canister fuel, just as a plasma pistol does, with each canister worn on the belt and fed via a cable to the hilt (good for 10 rounds of continuous operation)." - The only example of energy source consumption by power weapon that I can remember.

I think the 3rd example seems like a good mechanik to implement in my games. What would be a reasonable price and rarity for these power packs?

Thanks for the quick answer btw i just registred today and am positively suprised how fast i got a good answer:)

So i think a pack tje size of a hand would be somewhat realistic?

Plasma pistol flack weighs 0,4 kg, costs 24/Rare. Judging by the pictures , it is about the size of a fist .

To be fair, the Sollex-Aegis energy blade is described as being basically the same as a 40k lightsaber. It's a mostly contained meter long beam of plasma. Give me a regular power sword pretty much any day. Or an Integrated Lathes Arc-Welder.

Chain and power swords would get hours and hours, perhaps days or weeks, of continuously powered-up useage/time out of a single charge. And you'd be able to recharge them from a suitable power supply, maybe you'd need an adapter for some but they'd still be readily rechargeable.

I'd generally say tracking chain and power sword charge levels would be an unnecessary level of bookkeeping and not to bother. Maybe if they're away from any sort of technology/power source for truly extended periods of time and are heavily using the blades, but that's still a level of bookkeeping that doesn't add much to the game. Besides, if there's a tech-priest with Luminem Charge, he can just recharge them every so often even if there's no other suitable power source.