Powerful Ally/Contact

By SIlkentoes, in Anima: Beyond Fantasy RPG

What is your view on taking Powerful Ally/Contact/Enemy with a demon lord of some sort? or some other sentient creature/race?

Those lizardfolk? Can't remember their name.

Any other race is very normal I would say but I suppose for an Ally advantage at 3 I would consider maybe a free enemy 1 of something appropriate like Tal Rauko not to be over used but more as a sign of someone keeping tabs on the character

on the Demon Lord side I would consider maybe only contacts due to the nature of the normal relationships one has with such creatures unless of course the backstory really covered how one would help you for no real gain at any cost

your mileage may differ

What is your view on taking Powerful Ally/Contact/Enemy with a demon lord of some sort? or some other sentient creature/race?

Those lizardfolk? Can't remember their name.

My take is the same as any other ally or enemy: Justify it and it works.

The thing to keep in mind, of course, is that no matter if the ally/enemy is human or not, they have their own motivations and goals. Their own sphere of influence and limitations. Having a Demon Lord as an ally might seem like a great idea, but if yu accidentally kill a few of her other agents (or her cousins) then your friendship isn't going to last very long. Having one as a enemy may seem like a terrible prospect, but keep in mind that demons aren't exactly loved in the real world, and there are more than a few people who would gladly help you take down a Demon lord (And obviously they haven't taken over Gaia yet, so they're hardly powerful enough to always pose a threat).

It's also helpful to remember that the advantage is weaker than the disadvantage point for point (in some respects). Powerful Ally and Contacts are meant to represent a single person, or maybe a small group within the organization, while Powerful Enemy sets the bulk of that organization against you. This isn't to say that every member of the organization will recognize you automatically with Powerful Enemy, but it's something to consider. A Demon Lord ally might be able to command his followers to help you, but those followers might hurt you in other ways because they don't personally like you.

An entire race, in either case, would be a bit extreme. I know there aren't many Tuan Dalyr left, or Devah, but to think that all the ones that are left are somehow unified for or against a single person is stretching things more than a bit. I'm not saying it's not possible, a brand of some sort which marks the person as an enemy or ally of a race, but in general it's not something I'd allow without a good amount of justification from the player.

I also assume you either mean the Turak from Gaia 2, or the unfortunately named Balzaks from Those Who Walked. Either way, I think my conditions above would remain the same.

I meant the Balzaks, and I didn't mean the whole race as an enemy. I was more thinking an influential city/village/settlement of the race. Somehow the character has gotten on their bad side enough that they actively hate him. Maybe he killed the chieftain's daughter and that chieftain has enlisted other settlements to keep watch, maybe send out scouts to find him.

Same as if it were a human enemy, but from another sentient race.

. . .and demon ally, I figure it'd be more for help with info-gathering, knowledge-related. Quid-pro-quo in most cases.

Thanks for the replies!

Edited by SIlkentoes