Intercede

By Ariser, in BattleLore

Hello. I have a question about Daqan lore card Intercede. The card says I choose one of the dice's symbol and it will be ignored for the affected combat roll. My question is - do I choose this symbol blindly, before the combat roll (without any certenity it will even be rolled) or do the attacker make his roll first and then I can choose (guaranteed success for the defender)? Thanks for the answer, cheers!

Edited by Ariser

Before. The card specifically says "after your opponent declares the target of an attack", not "after an attack roll is made"

Hope this helps :)

Thank you! :) That actually makes this card not so good but still kinda decent. To not start another topic I'll just throw another question here. This time it's about Daqan lore card Rune Blade. To simplify - is it just a normal combat roll with 4 dices but with rerolls? Can I do a counterattack after Rune Blade didnt kill or made me retreat? Can Obscene use their Ferocity when forced to retreat after Rune Blade? Cheers!

It's not such a weak card either. First of all, I agree it's situational, but for instance you may want to survive and attack and choose Strike or Cleave, or you may be in need not to retreat, and thus you choose another symbol. So, there's a little bit of tactics in the guess: you select the worse possible result for you, and you're safe from that one. Then the key point of the card is that you may force your opponent to attack another unit, as long as you have another unit adjacent. So that you can automatically defend a VP banner, or save a very powerful unit of yours from a devastating enemy attack.

As for Rune Blade: indeed it's a combat roll with 4 die, but I'd not say it's normal: first of all, you ignore any sort of bonus / penalty for the roll (hence, forest is no longer a hindrance, Flying is not a problem, and so on), and then you have the rerolls. And sure, as long as the enemy units survives the attack and stays adjacent, they can counter. Same for Obscene being able to counter

Thanks Julia once again! You are a marvel of this forum, I was lurking here for a while and you are just irreplaceable, truly I appreciate what you are doing here! To the topic - about Interecede: yes I definitely see the use of this card but for me it become just 'very good, nice to have' from 'top tier, must have' kind of card. About Rune Blade - I was aware about the part with ignoring penalties/bonuses when rolling, it was nicely clarified in the Reference Book I believe. ;) The situation where unit actually survives Rune Blade is kind of unlikely (maybe with Bone Spurs activate? :) ) but thats great to know it can actually counter normally. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear in some parts, english is not my main language. Cheers! ;)

No probs, communication is the only important thing, and building together a stronger community of gamers :)

And yes, Bone Spurs is the nightmare of every Rune Blade resolution, good call ;)

The thing about Bone Spurs is that it will save your unit from destruction by Rune Blade, but it probably won't kill the attacker. You see, both lore cards are played after the target of an attack is declared. So let's say the Daqan player declares an attack and plays Rune Blade. Now the Uthuk player counters with Bone Spurs. The Daqan player's strategy has now changed from trying to roll lots of cleaves and strikes to wanting to roll morale and lore results. He can reroll the cleaves and strikes to prevent damage to himself and still take the hex from the target of the attack by pushing them off and advancing. In this case, Bone Spurs has saved the Uthuk unit from death, but otherwise it simply countered the Rune Blade. Considering Bone Spurs is the more expensive of the two, I'm not sure it is the best play after your opponent has played Rune Blade. Conversely, I think this makes Rune Blade an excellent counter to Bone Spurs. (Unless the target is an Obscene because then the Daqan unit is going to probably take damage anyway.)

Edited by Budgernaut