Article: Resource Review Of Evil, Part 2

By VikramS, in UFS General Discussion

Darklogos' second half of the Evil article is up on my site, check it out here ! Enjoy...

The reason I stopped writing articles was because I did stuff like that.

Homme Chapeau said:

Care to expand that thought.

darklogos said:

Homme Chapeau said:

Do not try to find logic in the thinking of the Man Who Wears Hats

darklogos said:

Homme Chapeau said:

What is the difference between a forum post and an article? One shouldn't be a list of cards. Especially considering that the rating you give to most of these is highly overrated. This feels more like a pro-Evil propaganda piece than an in-depth examination of the symbol and it's capabilities.

My question to you is "How can I improve the articles?" Thing is this most people will not try something new unless given a reason to do so. I try to keep it positive to give the feeling of hope. I did state many times in the article of evil's short falls. Just because I don't bash a symbol doesn't mean I'm pro-evil or that I'm spouting propaganda.

Thing is there is a great absence in the sharing of views. If the guide comes off as authoritative then that is something the reader imposed on to the text. I'm trying to spark thought, inovation, and discussion. The big guns authorities, outside of a hand full, have failed in delivering analysis and generating expermintation and expansion of the meta. Who is left then? Only those who step up and speak. I choose to speak even if I make mistakes or sound foolish. If one new trick comes out of all my writing then I will count it a win. I think complacency is one of the biggest attitudes and mindsets that sit on the forums. Once something proves to be good and strong then all options are not considered. Soon after being oversaturated with the same cards people ask for bans and erratas due to a cards dominance. Well if those that are siting in the winners circle don't throw out even their incomplete ideas or options in how to deal with x,y,z factors then this game is due to the 9 ring circle of hell that is errata, ban, reprint.

If Antigoth can offer decent cards for the time for people to write articles and no one take him up on it then it says something bad about the community. I'm not getting paid. Vik isn't feeding me cards. Heck I don't even promote my own blog in any way or fashion. I gain nothing then listening to feedback and seeing new deck ideas get posted in the deck forums. For those that can do better please do. But it seems that those who are able are not consistent and often loose interest in helping the weak become strong. Again I look forward to being proved wrong.

darklogos

Hatman's trying to say that your article isn't an article at all; it's just a list of cards, and really, we ALL know what the cards do. He meant more that you should've spent time talking about how to USE the cards, and not just in a "here's what the card does" way; a "here are some interesting combinations AND how to use them against certain characters and decktypes"

MarcoPulleaux said:

darklogos

Hatman's trying to say that your article isn't an article at all; it's just a list of cards, and really, we ALL know what the cards do. He meant more that you should've spent time talking about how to USE the cards, and not just in a "here's what the card does" way; a "here are some interesting combinations AND how to use them against certain characters and decktypes"

Ok that is something productive I can work from. My biggest problem is that trying to state a play style has been an landmine issue here. If you tell someone how to play the card usually there are 5 responses on how else to play the card. At the same time when I look at card critques by many players they aren't any different then what I have done. Most are short descriptions on how the card functions and is benificial and that is mostly it. Thing is very few cards play out the same across all characters. Then the card needs to be looked at on a character by character basis. But if this is the case how we view symbols in the meta is foolish because the use of cards are so situational that symbols themselves a mere shades to the character card.

I'm not a champion in this game let alone a top 10ner. I try to keep most of my analysis as humble and as basic as possible. Thing is some of the more advance break down of the game has to come from other sources. If that is what people are looking for I should resign from writing for a bit. I'm just trying to do something to make people think that's all. When I read Vik's interview with Omar from a long time ago the idea he presented stuck with me of playing how you want to play and don't concern yourself about the meta. I think that looking at underused symbols is a start. At least for us to really address the why's and list them out. I hadn't heard anyone show current evil as a foundation destruction symbol. Just like I hadn't seen much analysis about chaos being a symbol that uses character cards well.

There are a lot of statements that bug me that are said frequently here. One of the statements is "its obvious figure it out." If I saw what you see would I ask? The answer is no. There is the viewpoint that every combo is obvious. If that is so why isn't more indepth works on each sybmols published or debated? For those trying to learn like myself we gain nothing from the affair because higher information and viewpoints are not passed down between people.

In the end I'm just trying to contribute. If I am failing to do so it is good to know how and in what manor.

Hey guys, the man is writing, that is a plus, give him a break. Edward, I got your other email, how about you hit me up with your number and we'll talk when you get a chance, that way I can lay out my own thoughts and give better guidelines. Also, I'm currently doing one of these for Fire in my own style, maybe that will help? Anyway my two cents...

darklogos said:

In the end I'm just trying to contribute. If I am failing to do so it is good to know how and in what manor.

Dude, you know me; I'm your number 1 fan, and not in an Annie Wilkes way

I totally don't mind you posting your version of articles to simply stimulate conversation. I mean, we're at a part where experimentation is paying off.

With store championships popping up, we've heard such news as All Paul, multi-symbol Lu Chen, Siegfried, All Ivy, a whole manner of different decks going around. Slowly, we're starting to see people deviate from the original "X-character into X-symbol deck", and people are thinking more "what is my character's master objective, how do I achieve this in a way that WORKS, not just in a way that looks like it'd work."

So, anyways, dude keep doing what you're doing. Nobody's going to bash you for pointing out any card interractions, no matter how obvious they may be.

Furthermore, in this particular instance, people are truly having a hard time justifying Evil's use, yet in my mind, the reason as to why it should be ran is right there on the table.

Good work again Darglogos, It is really great of you to speak out about things other people wont even touch. I got some inspiration from your articles, and that was your objective right? :)

Looking forward to more of your diskussions/articles

MarcoPulleaux said:

Furthermore, in this particular instance, people are truly having a hard time justifying Evil's use, yet in my mind, the reason as to why it should be ran is right there on the table.

Or rather in your opponent's discard pile.

"Yes, that's right... BUILD! Fall into my EVIL plan!"

Homme Chapeau said:

Or rather in your opponent's discard pile.

"Yes, that's right... BUILD! Fall into my EVIL plan!"

You are the Morgan Freeman of these boards. I could listen to you read bedtime stories, n' ****.

darklogos said:

If Antigoth can offer decent cards for the time for people to write articles and no one take him up on it...

Say what? This is news to me.

The truth in print! Antigoth has commented on this before. He also stated how he got very little feedback for his offer.

darklogos said:

The truth in print! Antigoth has commented on this before. He also stated how he got very little feedback for his offer.

I took him up on his offer. Wrote something that is no longer applicable today. It was pretty much a "Where the hell has aggro gone?"

And the answer was : To hell, but you can still do something with it.

darklogos said:

I choose to speak even if I make mistakes or sound foolish. If one new trick comes out of all my writing then I will count it a win.

Hey your article showed me how good Beacon of evil actually is, consider it a win happy.gif

Bloodrunstrue said:

Hey your article showed me how good Beacon of evil actually is, consider it a win happy.gif

If it wasn't 4/4 it would be in every single one of my deck. Dark Bite + Beacon = Awesome.