An Engaging Question

By Cejel, in Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

The Dwarf's (basic) Attack action gives him the option to "Engage up to 2 enemies" before he attacks.

Engaging an enemy is basically moving the enemy from the Shadow Zone to your Engagement Zone. Right?

My question is: Can you engage (move) an enemy from another hero's engagement zone to your own engagement zone? Or can you only engage (move) an enemy from the shadows?

I had a situation where I wanted to pull a monster away from another hero because my Dwarf had a much better chance of defeating it than the other hero.

The Rules don't really specify this, or did I miss something? If I see a mixture of opinions here, I will gladly send a query to FFG and then post their reply for all to view.

Yes, you can do that. In fact, it is vital.

Engaging simply means that you move an enemy card in play to where it is engaged with your hero. It can be in the shadows, face up or face down, or already engaged with another hero. The dwarf is specifically designed to pull enemies off of other heroes (such as the wizard and waywatcher).

This is what makes this game so thematically awesome, you are fighting shoulder to shoulder in a dungeon and can pull enemies in front of you from anywhere. This is also important because of the way in which enemies can bounce around from engagement zone to engagement zone via effect like "retreat" and"skirmish".

Same action .. another scenario

As the ironbreaker i have 2 enemies engaged with me and use my attack action. By choosing two engage two enemies from other heroes .. can i move one of them into the shadows and getting wounds?

No, I don't think you can. The Learn to Play Guide says that if you are engaged with three enemies and an effect forces you to become engaged with another enemy then it inflicts its attack value and moves into the shadows (pg. 10). The dwarf attack action says you may engage enemies, i.e. you are not being forced to engage them, and therefore you cannot exceed the three enemy engagement limit.

I agree. I don't think you can choose to engage more enemies beyond 3, and the whole "does its damage and then goes to the shadows" only occurs if the engagement is forced.

Mmm, never mind .. could has been a litte strategic opportunity before travelling to the next location.