Help for one shot scenario idea

By Markluft, in Only War Game Masters

Hi guys!

First, sorry for my english^^.

I was lurking around and found a really cool idea for an Only war game, here it is:

First Session

PCs play hive gangers. Life in the underhive is familiar and they are the big men who get to boss the locals around. But it is also quite stuffy with no chance of advancement. Senior gang members above them aren't going anywhere. The Guard is seen as a glorious endeavour. PCs have to compete with another couple of gangs to join up.

Second Session

PCs are living the dream. There is a parade and they are issued with uniforms. They get to say they are Guardsmen to friends and family. There is also a briefiing where they are told about the WH40K universe through the lens of the uplifting primer. Orks are strong but very stupid and easily confused, Tyranids are gnats who are easily swatted away, Eldar weapon is old and prone to malfunction etc etc.

Really big up how awesome the power of the Imperium and particularly the guards equipment is. Have a grizziled sgt kill a servitor with the lasgun with one shot to an eye. Have him also demonstrate the flak jacket stopping a stub revolver shot dead.

PCs engage in a mock war game vs other squads or combat servitors.

Session ends with PCs being told they are being assigned to a war zone where some humans have foolishly rebelled against the Imperium. Whole mission will be a cake walk as the rebels are facing the might of the Imperial Guard!

Third Session

The PCs are in cramped conditions on a star ship they have to deal with crazy preachers, stern commissars, hardbitten veterans and the growing feeling from the mood of officers and other experienced guardsmen that this warzone isn't going to be so easy after all.

PCs make a chilling discovery that the Munitorium have ordered body bags for 99% of the guardsmen on board.

PCs have to put down a mutiney from some veterans who try to take control of ship. Apparently they have found out where they are going and "won't go back man...In the name of the Emperor we ain't going back!"

Fourth Session

PCs board large Orbital Landers. Enough to hold a couple of companies at least. They are briefed that they are the second wave of this assault. The officers seem a bit vauge about what their objective is. Basically just saying push towards the 'gatehouse'. Apparently this will be enough information.

PCs land down. Ramps open and.....

They are met with pandemonium as the Imperial Guard regiments are fed into the meat grinder of trying to storm an Iron Warriors held fortress with predictable results.

Entire squads are blown apart from artillery rounds, heavy bolter emplacements tear through the PCs squad, every NPC they have befriended is cut down mercilessly and the only orders they are given seems to be to push towards a gigantic gatehouse, whose doors have been blasted open by a now destroyed warlord titan.

At this point simply throw a series of increasingly dangeorus foes at the PCs. If they do somehow reach the gatehouse they can be confronted with a few Squads of Traitor Marines supported by a Defiler or two. When the last PC is butchered simply read an epilouge stating that....

'18 months later and after a full 10 year siege with over seven million guardsmen killed the fortress was finally cleansed of Chaos taint. It was held by perhaps 100 traitor marines and their assorted Chaotic allies and minions. The operation was considered by the Department Munitorium to be an unqualified military success with, considering the opposition, only a relative minimal loss of Imperial assets.

Then finish by saying 'Oh...and welcome to the Guard.

So, I was wondering how to do this in just one session, with players who don't really know the W40k background. I mean, I will have , maybe 6-8 hours to do so, and I don't know what to do to make it good for the players. How to make the training really hard and immersive, juste like the propaganda? Cause it's a good idea, but it can become boring for the players if not managed correctly.

If you have some advices, it will be great!

And to maximise the immersion , do you know where I can find some accesories? I have propaganda posters but I have seen once a tutorial to make a medikit and some parts of imperial guard equipments but I can't find it anymore.

Thank you !

1st thing I would do, is start with stealing ideas from Starship Trooper the movie for the bootcamp and propaganda ideas

Yes , I have to see it again.

I thought about that and already wanted to use the soundtrack "the Klendathu drop" for the final scene ^^

So they with you have created or you created the PC's and the regiment. Use that part to set up the background of the gang and their history on planet. Start them in "Basic" ala Starship Trooper.

Including "Have a grizziled sgt with cyber replacements, kill a servitor with the lasgun with one shot to an eye. Have him also demonstrate the flak jacket stopping a stub revolver shot dead by putting it on a trooper and firing at him(dumdum ammo)." all the while talking up the Imperial Guard and it hardware from the POV of the uplifting primer. I would skip the 3 section, unless you have that same grizziled sgt be the one o say " won't go back man...In the name of the Emperor I ain't going back there! " So they watch an experienced IG Sgt crack but not able to tell them why he doesn't want to go.

Run the last section as is

Edited by Angel of Death

Use hoard rules for mass combat. Intermix several troopbattles with the hoard combat and presto, you have a full fledged war. Ideally make objectives such as storming the reactor, destroy munitions, dock at said station. To be honest, the No Surrender campaign book would be perfect for your mission. You could ideally swap the Severan Dominate with the Iron Warriors Chaos Legionnaires. Let us know how your session turns out however.