Who is the best Nemesis?

By VX485, in Relic

Hey everyone,

My gaming group and I got back to playing Relic the other night, and to change things up, myself and a friend decided to play as Nemesis. We were playing the 'Shoulder to Shoulder' mission.

I played as the Warpsmith from the HoT expansion, I've never seen him used in a game before. He was a beast and I easily won the game, which got me to thinking 'Who is the best Nemesis'?

I'm aware that certain missions can really make some Nemesis very powerful from the get go. And a prime example was this game, by drawing two Nemesis cards on every draw I was very quickly able to buff my Daemon Engines and the Warpsmith.

The Daemonette is very strong in any mission where there is high corruption being drawn, with the Dire Avenger being better if characters are actively trying to get rid off corruption.

I haven't noticed the Beserker to be really powerful in any games so far. He's a decent fighter at the start of the game, however once the characters get going they can very quickly leave him behind forcing him to fight Agent Imperium cards, which do pose some challenges. Couple this with his Nemesis card that forces him to fight the nearest character and he can be forced into battles he can't win.

I haven't seen the Broodlord used in a game yet and I'd be interested to see what people think of it.

Hey everyone,

My gaming group and I got back to playing Relic the other night, and to change things up, myself and a friend decided to play as Nemesis. We were playing the 'Shoulder to Shoulder' mission.

I played as the Warpsmith from the HoT expansion, I've never seen him used in a game before. He was a beast and I easily won the game, which got me to thinking 'Who is the best Nemesis'?

I'm aware that certain missions can really make some Nemesis very powerful from the get go. And a prime example was this game, by drawing two Nemesis cards on every draw I was very quickly able to buff my Daemon Engines and the Warpsmith.

The Daemonette is very strong in any mission where there is high corruption being drawn, with the Dire Avenger being better if characters are actively trying to get rid off corruption.

I haven't noticed the Beserker to be really powerful in any games so far. He's a decent fighter at the start of the game, however once the characters get going they can very quickly leave him behind forcing him to fight Agent Imperium cards, which do pose some challenges. Couple this with his Nemesis card that forces him to fight the nearest character and he can be forced into battles he can't win.

I haven't seen the Broodlord used in a game yet and I'd be interested to see what people think of it.

Reply:

In my humble opinion the nemesis you did find so powerful instead it is not... On the other hand I instead find that the Tyranid Nemesis or the Eldar one, or the Demonette in the "Lure of Chaos" scenario or in "Dark Alliances" one are quite, if not ****, powerful (sometime too much as I saw it during plays and past matches).

* Eldar Nemesis: it is the unique character / nemesis which can stand a chance to win alone the "Dark Crusade - Scenario"...

* Deamonette: too much powerful sometimes and during specific Scenarios (as I stated above)

* Tyrant / Tyranid Nemesis: it is too much powered... But it starts as a weird punching ball made out of jelly !!! RIDICULOUS at the start... HORRID AND HORRIFIC to face once it buffs out or in specific scenarios (where he has the time to "grow up", and mute itself genetically (becoming able to release spores / eggs / pheromones trails which allow tyrants enemies to pack up and grow bigger and bigger and stronger and stronger and so on !!! Really an hard nemesis to play with but the most powerful one (in my opinion) if it is layed in the wise hands of a smart / veteran Relic player !!! AMUSING AND FUN... Expecially when you start to release "eggs" each turn !!! A "must to play with" !!!

* Chaotic Berseker: a crazied Space Marine under "kill frenzy", filled with rage and masochistic behaviours which lead him to death in most of the scenarios but quite strong if played along with the "Dark Alliances" or "Dark Crusade" scenarios.

The major fun out of it however, I think, is to use and play it with the "Corruptis - Scenario" (where he acts as a Chaotic Servant of the Blood God at its peak of power and madness... All focused on the faith he follows... Acting such as a "Longa Manus" or a mere "weapon puppet" of Corruptis himself... Rather fun and thematically coherent. I play it always when I use the Corruptis Scenario due to these "thematically related" things !!! Address me as "Romantic" now... I deserve it )!!! LOL LOL LOL It also acts like a dangerous "beater" if you play the "Dark Crusade - Scenario" - where he can be played thematically thinking at his struggle to please or serve Abaddon in his pursuit to dethronize the God Emperor of Mankind by maiming and killing as much loyalists as possible !!! Quite fun indeed !!!

IT MUST NOT BEING CHOSEN, however, if you are not a "veteran" player of Relic: he starts underpowered (in my opinion) and his deck of power cards / weapons do not fully aid him as it could do... Also note this: its weapons / means of destructions always do come with a limited number of "charge counters" on them... So... Once you deplete them... You MUST grind throug the whole Nemesis deck in order to regain that particular item !!! Kinda weird or badly concepted mechanism ?!? It is not for us or given to us a way or motive to understand it !!! He is a powerful nemesis only during the late part of the game and only if it's played by a smart / veteran gamer of Relic (and only if, during the match, the times he did spill his proper blood to please the Dark God Khorne were fewer than the times he made spill the blood of the "loyalist" characters / players !!!). A "must to play with" then, but only if you like challenges and under "certain conditions" or scenarios. Choose him at your own risk and peril then !!! LOL LOL LOL The Blood God finds pleasure in drinking the blood... It doesn't matter if that of the enemies or that of his own servants !!! LOL LOL LOL Displease him... And be ready to accept / face the grim consequences !!! LOL LOL LOL

* The Traitor Tech-Marine: AMAZING... But it is to be considered as a "Glass Cannon"... Too much feeble most of the matches... Too much weird and disturbingly powerful (and amazing to play with from the nemesis owner / player point of view... LOL LOL Sad-istic !!!) in the other cases... It must be played (as a major suggestion) only by veteran or really smart Relic players... It has a poor Nemesis deck:it is just made by a bunch of "Immortal & Immoral Servitors"... BUT... IT HAS TOO MANY CARDS THAT GRANT THESE FOUL HALF DEMONIC / HALF MECHANICAL BEINGS ANOTHER EXTREME GENEROUS AMOUNT OF POWER AND MEANS OF DESTRUCTION !!! Due to this HE MUST BE STOPPED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE... OTHERWISE... PREPARE TO FACE A CRUEL AND PAINFUL DEATH AND DEFEAT... He must be wisely chosen or picked in relation to the Scenario in play or number of gamers... IF the other CHARACTERS / NEMESIS start to beat on him hardly or cooperatively he has ended to live !!! If, instead, he is granted the time and the means to dig up his Nemesis Deck... WELL... YOU (intended to be read as "loyalists characters" and other Nemesis) have ended to live...

He will, in fact, spawn at least a "demon engine machine" each turn, moving them all around the tiers and the board (using unpredictable and forbidden knowledge of Warp itself and Warp travels)... Filling their bodies with Demonic Cannons and Tendrils which forbid players to roll dice or use weapons or particular items against them... OR... WORST OF ALL... Grant the demonic engines a wider range of "Exploding Dice" or the "Unavoidable Trait" (so they CANNOT BE AVOIDED IN BATTLE... Even if the facing character could theorically do it !!!). It can be a serious threat and an amusing nemesis to play with or against... It depends from Scenarios, players skills and smartness and luck... Choose him if you really want to try it. Otherwise... "Land on better shores" (as the motto says)... And pick another character or Nemesis instead. Yours is the choice.

AFTER ALL OF THIS STUFF AND "NONSENSE"... I FEEL TO SAY JUST A THING:

no matter the choice... it will grant you fun (at least for a while or to a certain extent or degree)... Relic is always fun and worthy to play... And EACH character or nemesis is worthy to play with it; at least once and at least in order to see diffrent ways to play and try to win with them...

FINALLY I WISH YOU TO HAVE FUN EACH TIME YOU PLAY RELIC (EVEN IF WITH THE DARK CRUSADE SCENARIO IT WILL BE QUITE HARD TO ACCOMPLISH) !!! Bye !!!

The four from Nemesis have each seen action three times, Abraxis from HoT only two (third tomorrow likely), but here's my take on their order from best to worst:

#1: Luxuria, has won all three of her games. And haven't even stacked things in her favour by using Corruptis or similar scenarios, just plain vanilla stuff. She is also the only Nemesis not to have been vanquished at all.

#2: Githellion. Two wins. Surprise of the bunch to be sure, thought he would have the hardest time of all to get wins as he revolves around Corruption removal a lot for his infamy. Again, no picking helpful scenarios.

#3: Specimen X, one win, another close, finished on 23 infamy.

#4: Moarn Goreheart, one win but struggled to reach double-digit infamy in his other two games. Also vanquished a total of eight times in three games (Gith and Specimen X five vanquishes each). Thought he would've been the easiest to play, just bash-bash-bash, but straightforward approach doesn't seem to be paying off, for him or for Abraxis.

#5: Abraxis Synethi, finished on 12 and 7 infamy in his games, vanquished three times already. Today's game looked like he would be getting a win, Black Ship Escapee first turn (movement roll 6 lets him teleport to a character on Outer or Middle Tier), going up against Tech-Priest and Terminator. But like Moarn, bash-bash approach failed, more than a little down to turrible rolling, even with solid advantage, couldn't get it done.

On a sidenote, since adding HoT, started keeping track of game duration in rounds, so far after two games the magic number is 33 rounds (around 60-65 minutes).