The Raid special order is a bit underwhelming.

By goboking, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game

I'm thinking of house ruling the Raid special order token to make it a more tempting use of a star. I'm thinking a change from "can raid Defense orders" to "always count as pillaging" would do just the trick. What do you guys think? Would such a change see an increased use of the Raid special order token without disrupting balance?

I would try out the raid* from first edition rules: it can raid two adjacent territories. I find that ability more useful in most situations.

I think the star raid order is fine as is and should not be seen as a every turn tool but a scalpel to slice into your opponents plan when it matters/wins you the game.

In our group it has won the day many times when one really needed to press through this final march and you have the ability to fool your opponent into thinking you'll place a support in an adjacent area so he goes defence. :ph34r:

The old raid * ability is superior to the present raid * in most situations and had more strategic uses. You are right that it still wouldn't be played that often, simply because people cannot often spare the extra *s.

Edited by Amin

I think the raid should be able to steal from opponents to make it more of a raid.

The special Raid for me is perfect, thematically as well. If you know he's going +2 defence, a lone footman or ship not in your attacking territory will offer more power in the battle, especially if you already have another territory using your support token. You can always use it as normal and the star is a bonus, exactly as it is, with the star there's one more order it can remove over the normal, perfect.

it's not used often but when it is...

@Marinealver. it can be used in that way. Although, i see it more as crashing the party.

And, what does "always count as pillaging" mean?

Edited by mitchiemasha