The worst time

By Dungeon Crawler Jack, in Talisman

Ok, I just played the Merchant and he lasted 4 turns.... no joke, a 4 turn death.

He gained the Deathstalker as a follower and then lost a fight with the CLOCKWORK CABINET

The CLOCKWORK CABINET - This man was killed by FURNITURE at the start of his adventure. This is HUMILIATING

Please share your stories of disastrous games where your character just got mauled and wrecked so unfairly

Hmm... in old good 2nd Edition powerful characters could die within 3 turns. Not once or twice, but a lot of more times I died within a couple of turns.

Certainly hilarious!

I have not played in ages; my partner hates Harbinger. We don't usually play without any expansion so I'm working on ways to bring her over.

Once upon a game of Talisman, there were rumors of a Sacred Pool throughout the land.
Brave adventurers began their journey, as did the Chivalric Knight.

On his first turn, he went to the Hidden Valley and got ambushed by a Swamp Siren and another
(Craft 6) Spirit. Needless to say, he had no chance of winning.

Unfortunately, the Swamp Siren keeps you on her space if you lose, so that you have to engage her again.

After 4 turns, there was no Chivalric Knight any more.
A cursing spirit still haunts the place where he met his demise until this day.

That, too, is an awesome tale. I think sometimes I love playing the game more for the story it tells than "having to win".

Its also interesting to hear of these lethal combinations. I'm sure there are many more.

I don't remember which character I was playing. It doesn't matter. This was a six-person game. I was the fifth player to take a turn.

On the fourth player's turn, someone landed the Reaper on him. He rolled a 5 and moved it to me.

I rolled a 1. I spent a fate. I rolled a 1 again.

I was killed without ever taking a turn.

I started a new character and went on to "win" the game, but everyone kept reminding me that I was the first to die, so I didn't really win.

I don't remember which character I was playing. It doesn't matter. This was a six-person game. I was the fifth player to take a turn.

On the fourth player's turn, someone landed the Reaper on him. He rolled a 5 and moved it to me.

I started a new character and went on to "win" the game, but everyone kept reminding me that I was the first to die, so I didn't really win.

Epic

Sore losers.

Same happened to us once... ;)

But what I really wanted to say is about our first time with the dragon expansion. I was playing dragon rider and figured the best way to find a dragon would be in the dragon decks. Well I was right. I had lost a life early in the game so I had 3 when I decided to try my luck. First card I drew was the Swamp dragon which takes two lives before battle and one after if your as weak as I was. Needless to say - we're much more careful with dragon cards nowadays... :)

[ Sidenote: The Dragon Rider is a very popular and well liked Character in our group. ]

That's a really mean enemy, that Venomous Dragon. Glad we have not met him (yet).

Not sure if it would've made a difference in your case, but you might have read the card wrong - you only lose the 2 additional lives if you are defeated.

---

Back "on topic" - got another one, though this one happened long ago so I don't really have that many details anymore.

The game had been in progress for quite some time.
I was playing as the Cleric and doing okay-ish.

However, that soon changed for the worse as I drew the False Prophet. (You can't use fate.)

I then proceeded to not be able to land on the city (to get rid of him) for a long time,
got turned into a toad by a copied spell, had all my fate stolen

and met an enemy I could not beat that took 2 of my 3 remaining lives.

During another characters turn, a plague finished me off.

That's what you call a heavy hit by fate. :P

Edited by Lorinor

[ Sidenote: The Dragon Rider is a very popular and well liked Character in our group. ]

That's a really mean enemy, that Venomous Dragon. Glad we have not met him (yet).

Not sure if it would've made a difference in your case, but you might have read the card wrong - you only lose the 2 additional lives if you are defeated

Thanks for getting my facts straight. :)

The point is unchanged though - dragon expanison can be punishing and you should be in a worse position than I was before taking a chance with it. Still, it was our first try and we don't look at the cards beforehand so naturally, we took a chance anyway despite what we've heard and read about it.

It took a lot of time to Mod the Dragon Expansion so that it balances with the rest of it. Its still not quite right.

Dragon Expansion just Reks you

Harbinger Expansion is the Trolliest of the Trolls

A win is a win

How funny; I had a similar death experience to those listed above! Except with three characters in a row. We play with all expansions and I decided to go straight to the Woodlands with the Leprechaun for a Destiny card and promptly died in my first 3-turns from a monster that takes 2-life instead of 1 if you have more dark than light fate upon losing, and then died to two regular monsters. My next character, the Nomad, I tried the woodlands again and the player rolling my attacks could NOT stop rolling 6's and myself 1's, so I just could not win, even against str-1 monsters! Consequently, I died again within 3-turns. So, 7-turns later, here I am with my 3rd character, and ironically, I end up winning the game! Haha, was so great, I love this game!

Unfortunately, I have only been able to play with the Woodland once until now, but I still think I'm pretty sure that going straight into the Woodland

is mostly a no-go, as the possibility of something you can not beat or an unfortunate encounter coming up is much higher than in the Highland

for example.

Kudos on your win with character #3. That's an achievement no one in our group has managed to accomplish thus far.

Edited by Lorinor

My wife likes the Dragon Rider because the character piece has a dragon in it.

That's it. No other reason. The character piece is "pretty."

I think it looks strange as the the rider's legs goes through the dragon's wings. Does it look the same for you or is it better made?

I think it looks strange as the the rider's legs goes through the dragon's wings. Does it look the same for you or is it better made?

I had never noticed that before. Mine does the same thing.

My husband and I created two home brewed characters: God and Satan. I don't remember what abilities we gave them, but they were both insanely overpowered. I was playing God, and on round one I drew the basilisk, which rolled doubles, and I was killed. My husband proceeded to slaughter my new randomly drawn characters.

My personal worst time was the last game I played. Using the leprechaun I had some insane rolls and cards; one of those games you can't lose. I made my way to the CoC and easily defeated the Dragon King(we play all expansions so you have to beat the current Dragon King before encountering the random ending)......I drew the Horrible Black Void. There were only 3 of us playing so my wife and our friend decided I should start with a new character. THe board was pretty full of stuff with fire tokens and all kinds of crap everywhere. I decided to use the Monk. Again, I had some awesome dice....easily dispatching everything that came in my path....within the hour I was back at it and with my wife bearing down on the CoC I went into the dungeon in hopes of beating her there....I did. THis time I was not as powerful but with some lucky rolls dispatched the dragon king again and drew my random ending.....REALLY?!?!?! Because of the timescape board we have two Horrible Black Voids in the game....I drew the second one. Sigh.

I swear my wife stacked the deck this way but she swears she didn't.

We played this morning (game still not finished). Normally I chose a character at random but this time I wanted to play the elf with the idea to go in the woodlands and just from woods to woods, as I find this funny. Si I'm the first to play. Fine. I go in the woodlands in the Thicket. I take two cards: The Rasalka strenght 5 AND the Red Cap strenght 4. If you are lightbound and lose the fight, you're killed! Which happened of course, strenght 3 vs 9 no chance.

First turn killed! Who says better?

Later on I had the warlock and had to go in the timescape (we use the homebrews version). I took one of the worst cards from the deck, the one who makes you sick and lose 1 life every turn. Do I didn't last long also.

Now I have the ghoul, we'll see how it ends!

How funny; I had a similar death experience to those listed above! Except with three characters in a row. We play with all expansions and I decided to go straight to the Woodlands with the Leprechaun for a Destiny card and promptly died in my first 3-turns from a monster that takes 2-life instead of 1 if you have more dark than light fate upon losing, and then died to two regular monsters. My next character, the Nomad, I tried the woodlands again and the player rolling my attacks could NOT stop rolling 6's and myself 1's, so I just could not win, even against str-1 monsters! Consequently, I died again within 3-turns. So, 7-turns later, here I am with my 3rd character, and ironically, I end up winning the game! Haha, was so great, I love this game!

The Woodland giveth and the Woodland taketh away

We played a game where our friend drew the Sacrificial Stone from the Grilipus deck within his first five or six turns (his first draw from hitting a Dragon scale on the board). He joked, asking what are the odds he'd draw a dragon? He turned over the plain ol' vanilla Dragon from the AD. He was so pissed he left.

Hubby and I then had to actually calculate the chances of him drawing that card for research purposes (of course we did). Given the number of cards we had in the AD at the time, with three copies of the Dragon card and 20 or so cards in the discard pile and in play, it came out to just over 0.2%. So, we now call that card the "0.2% Dragon". Heh.

Edited by bowlwoman

First turn killed! Who says better?

I just got Basilisk-ed on my first turn. He rolled a double 3.