Stannis Baratheon worst character in game ...

By terppa75, in Deck Building

I want to start a question here, that

Stannis Baratheon

is quite bad card in the game.It costs 6 and its ability just is so bad...i have played now many games whit my Baratheon deck and Stannis ability that says players can only stand 2 characters is so bad compaired to other high cost characters.

Most of the games there is only 3-4 characters in game, because all smaller ones dies allways...for many reasons...

I hope that next Stannis will be a lot better, as also Baratheon as a whole, because i think Baratheon is the most weakest House atm.

Thanks and respect.

The thrones community with strongly disagree with you on this one. Baratheon Fealty is one of the stronger decks out there. With Stannis on the board, your opponent is only standing 2 characters each turn. Between Melisandre, Filthy Accusations, Consolidation of Power, and Robert, you have a good chance of kneeling 1-3 characters each turn. So basically your opponent never has anyone standing. That seems pretty good to me.

Stannis can hurt you as well, but Baratheon has a lot of stand effects (Fiery Followers, Lightbringer, Ours is the Fury), so it will almost always hurt your opponent more that it hurts you.

I tend to play Bara in melee. I can attest that whenever I play Stannis there is a collective groan around the game table... I take that as a good sign.

He is definitely needed in a Bara fealty deck, as at present kneeling is a main/only strategy of the faction.

He really needs Lightbringer to shine.. as it gives him renown (ability to stand), but that makes him a cost 7 str 5. Which I think is slightly overpriced. I would have loved Lightbringer to have a built in cost reduction if Melisandre is in play.

He really needs Lightbringer to shine.. as it gives him renown (ability to stand), but that makes him a cost 7 str 5. Which I think is slightly overpriced. I would have loved Lightbringer to have a built in cost reduction if Melisandre is in play.

The R'hllor trait wasn't enough?

The R'hllor trait wasn't enough?

I take your point, though from personal experience I have found it much less impactful in a melee..

My meta doesn't play joust much, and more often than not, my opponents are able to generate more power more quickly than I can from kneeling a character.

I do agree slightly with the OP, from a melee perspective, Bara at launch were one of the strongest factions, whereas now we are definitely near/at the bottom (in my opinion).

Edited by KelSaor

I do agree slightly with the OP, from a melee perspective, Bara at launch were one of the strongest factions, whereas now we are definitely near/at the bottom (in my opinion).

I think with the proper cards Stannis can be great. With my deck I felt he was hurting me more than helping me more often than not. Currently running Bara//Tyrell. I took him out and now I just rely on Robert//Loras//Randyll with the Melisandre package.

I think with the proper cards Stannis can be great. With my deck I felt he was hurting me more than helping me more often than not. Currently running Bara//Tyrell. I took him out and now I just rely on Robert//Loras//Randyll with the Melisandre package.

If I wasn't enjoying the Bara/Sun deck, I'd be doing the exact same thing. May try it next week tho.

I'm relatively sure it wasn't deliberate, but when I see something Nedly I have to point it out: How appropriate, that in a cycle set during the events of the first novel, House Baratheon is in sharp decline?

And then, two weeks later, Bara Fealty wins a regional.

I'm relatively sure it wasn't deliberate, but when I see something Nedly I have to point it out: How appropriate, that in a cycle set during the events of the first novel, House Baratheon is in sharp decline?

And then, two weeks later, Bara Fealty wins a regional.

I take it that was a joust?

I have only recently started playing Joust and I agree Bara is very strong. Though in my posts above I was referring to melee. To get back on topic, I still don't think Stannis is broken, annoying for others - yes, but Bara needs him to slow other down a little.

The game is mostly balanced around Joust and is by far the more popular format. Tournament play is almost exclusively Joust--only at Nationals and Worlds is there a Melee tournament and it doesn't contribute to who is considered the National or World Champion.

Melee is too socially dependent, too many core strategies either amplified or obviated by the multiplayer format to really comment on factions' overall power level. Kneel in particular is extremely strong in 1v1 play, because you can stomp on an opponent if you have invalidated their half of the card advantage question. You can't lock down three opponents, and you're likely to pull aggro if you try.