Power levels of end game daemons

By Oridaellin, in Dark Heresy General Discussion

Enemies Beyond added a ton of daemons for the late game of DH, however, as we all have figured out - the players power levels start to get pretty bonkers even by mid game.

So just how capable are the 80+ threat daemons? Has anyone used them yet? They certainly look impressive with those hyper massive health pools and powerful attacks - but by the late game, will acolytes still be chewing through them in a few rounds of storm bolter/melta gun/thunder hammer insanity?

At 14,000 experience, I place my party at about Deathwatch level in combat; they're not as tough, but their damage potentials are higher. One-on-one in a small room, I still bet on the Deathwatch for everyone but the Arbites and the Duelist.

Those Bloodthirsters, Keepers of Secrets, properly utilized Princes/Heralds/Hosts, etc. will butcher my party like a side of beef if they have the advantage. I mean, a Bloodthirster has over 30 armor. It takes missiles, vehicle scale weapons and very good hits to get through that, and it'll regenerate as soon as someone falls under that instantly lethal axe. If my party gets the drop on them as a prepared group at range, though? Well, you'll find fresh Bloodthirster burger in stock tomorrow.

On its lowest possible damage with its weakest weapon, a Bloodthrister deals 26 damage with a pen of 4. That's probably going to kill almost any player character in one hit.

If Greater Daemons are in play, the party is probably dead if they don't run/get a lot of back up. These guys basically have their Deathwatch/Black Crusade stats lifted into this line; they were built to be able to one shot Terminators and they don't disappoint.

I mean, a Bloodthirster has over 30 armor.

That seems a tad excessive. At the same time though it really forces players to be smart about weapon choices and being prepared for what's coming ahead of time.

It's a Greater Daemon of Khorne, I don't think having tank level armor for such a beast isn't insane. If I remember right, the Great Unclean Ones of Nurgle have even more. Unless you get Sanctified and/or Daemonbane weapons (to negate some of the means it gains armor) or Armor Pen out the wazoo, fighting it is practically a fool's errand.

The Khornate daemon has 10 of armour, 13 in the chest.

His greatest resistance is his TB soak (TB, Unnatural and Daemonic).

If you want to nitpick, yes, the armor doesn't make up all of his damage resistance. But calling it armor is easier and quicker.

He has a point in separating the two and its not just nitpicking. AP does not work against TB meaning things like meltaguns lose some effectiveness. Felling does not apply to armour either and so on.

I think the differences here are large enough to warrant some level of differentiation.