When can you cast spells?

By Emeril322, in Talisman Rules Questions

So I've played Talisman only a handful of times, and I'm wondering if there's some stipulation as to when you can cast spells. Are you able to roll for movement and then cast before actually moving? I feel like you can't, but I can't find it in the rule book, and my friends refuse to listen to anything that isn't official. Thanks in advance for the help!

Most spells tell you exactly if you should use them before/after rolling a die and/or moving and so on.

For example, "Teleport" reads:

"Cast on yourself instead of rolling the die for movement. Teleport to any other space in the same Region.
This Spell cannot be cast in the Inner Region."

If there is no timing restriction, keep in mind that:

a) You can only cast the same number of spells you started your turn with.

b) You can only cast one spell during each other players turn.

[For ref.: Basic Rules, Page 13: "Casting spells"]

Edited by Lorinor

Thanks Lorinor. Well in the scenario I'm wondering about, my friend was playing the Druid and would cast all of their spells (sometimes just 1 spell though) after rolling, before moving, if they rolled the correct amount of movement to land on the Woods. That way they would replenish to their full compliment of spells after they actually move. Is this allowed? Seems kinda sketchy to me.

Let's assume the Druid has 3 spells. He rolls the die for movement and sees he can land on a woods space. He can now cast his 3 spells (only if they are of course not restricted by timing and there is a valid target for each spell.) Then he moves on the space and replenishes his full complement of spells. That is perfectly legal, yes.

The "downside" is the fact that while the Druid now has 3 new spells, he can not cast any of them, should he need one during his encounter.

[if you think that's powerful, certainly, but by no means too strong. Take a look at the Warlock (Frostmarch Expansion) for example:

"At the start of your turn, you may gain your full complement of Spells, according to your current Craft."]

Edited by Lorinor