The Newbies questing chronicles

By alexbobspoons, in Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

So, a kind of log post for my adventures :)

Tonight I played the tutorial and first quest.

Solo game, hero's: waywatcher and warrior priest.

Tutorial: no problems, easy.

Quest: Ouch, failed.

Things were going so well, all going nicely. I was entering a location then killing everything, then exploring and moving on. Whenever odious spawned he was kicked back where he came from. All working nicely.....but....

Then I reached the end of the peril track. Wow how harsh is that. Rules say the effects of the final peril kick in each peril phase.

So...

Each turn I did good damage to odious through his resilience, maybe 3 damage, half his lot. Then he activates and causes 2 damage...but then in peril phase, not only does he heal fully, but he activates (2 more damage) refreshes, activates again (another 2 damage) then refreshes again. Eeek.

So he's doing 6 damage per turn plus a full heal. So I needed to take him out fully within one turn, meaning with his resilience needing o cause 7 damage, I just couldn't manage that much, so at a rate of 6 wounds per turn I died.

Gosh seemed quite easy until then and suddenly haaaaard.

Obviously I should've moved quicker to avoid that last peril effect recurring, more exploration needed I feel. Quite hard with two heroes,need to conserve abilities.

So I got beaten, but it was a lot of fun and an excellent game, very pleased with it.

I feel odd about the campaign rules meaning I go on to quest two after kind-of dying in quest one. Seems funny moving on before beating the first quest. Will give it a go though as the quest narrative does include explanations for it.

I do like the aid mechanic, works really nice thematically!

More expansions please ffg :)

So I needed to take him out fully within one turn,

Killing him is actually entirely unnecessary (and in fact counterproductive if you've gotten to the end of the peril track since he comes straight back anyway). Incidentally I'd recommend always playing with four heroes, the game is best balanced that way.

So I needed to take him out fully within one turn,

Killing him is actually entirely unnecessary (and in fact counterproductive if you've gotten to the end of the peril track since he comes straight back anyway). Incidentally I'd recommend always playing with four heroes, the game is best balanced that way.

I had kind of assumed the traditional kill-big-boss was the climax but yes didn't think about the peril respawning him thanks!

Thanks for the 4p advice, not sure if I have space though, it's a squeeze at the moment, I'll look into it when I've finished this first campaign.

Thanks

Edit: Im thinking of playing quest one again before the campaign :)

Edited by alexbobspoons

Game 2, another go at quest 1..... a win yay!

Same heroes, but balanced more between questing and combat. Took more damage as a result but moved faster to explore out before end of peril track. Worked well, though warrior priest was only 2w from death/defeat at end and Gump was engaged with him.

Felt a more exciting game as exploring more meant more enemies around, so more things happening.

Much enjoyment.

Not finding it a quick game though but I'm fully ok with that as it reflects how involved it is like a traditional dungeon crawl.

Next game will continue the campaign through, thus onto quest 2

Not sure if you were doing this but each time you defeat Odious Grump he goes back to his nemesis lair AND you get to add 4 progress tokens to the current location so there is a benefit to defeating him even if you are just trying to explore to win.

Not sure if you were doing this but each time you defeat Odious Grump he goes back to his nemesis lair AND you get to add 4 progress tokens to the current location so there is a benefit to defeating him even if you are just trying to explore to win.

As a strategy, ignoring him worked, but it was a close run thing!!

If he's coming back then you're spending way more successes to kill him then it would to add four progress.

If he's coming back then you're spending way more successes to kill him then it would to add four progress.

Yes of course.....we are talking about being at the end of the Peril Track here. Before the end though it can make sense depending on the situation.

Yes of course.....we are talking about being at the end of the Peril Track here. Before the end though it can make sense depending on the situation.

I can see where you are coming from because also it depends what actions you have available or exhausted too. If you've exhausted your explores, but need a couple more progress yet have your attacks readied, then grab your progress by throwing all in to defeat him and be able to travel to next location :)

So I had a go at the second adventure and really enjoyed it!

It felt less rushed than the first and more of a straight quest.

I still lost though.

I did manage to get a legendary for my waywalker which was exciting when it drew.

The main game went really well and really it only fell apart in the last location.

At last location I had 2 jezzail teams shooting me as well as minor enemies plus the nemesis and also this was the time odius Gump decided to spawn also. Added to the peril track hitting the end meaning I couldn't heal meant I went down under enemies though when I died there was only the nemesis left (Gump dead haha) but I still had zero progress on the last location.

So despite a slightly close loss, I am now on the campaign track so will move straight onto quest 3 without having any other goes at q2 until later.

I'm happy with how my two heroes are performing and this game I really really enjoyed feeling a good sense of dungeon crawl with great atmosphere and good enemies.

Lots more dungeon card effects and loot cards came out this game which gave the dungeon crawl feel.

I did lose but I really really enjoyed this game it felt like a really polished game system.

Onto quest 3!!!