[Provided] CombatCheatSheets for 40K-mooks

By Gregorius21778, in Dark Heresy Gamemasters

Hi everyone,

a while ago I created what I call "combat cheat sheets" for large groups of 40k mooks. Perhaps some other people have use for those, too. Please have a look at the provided PDF download (link below). The following "how-to" text is an excerpt of an article from my blog, it should allow you to work out what this sheet is all about.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6kx9bbr1t7iepnj/MookCombatSheet_EnfMerc.pdf?dl=0

How to use this sheets?
When the combat starts and it is my goon group´s turn I first decide upon the action each of them is going to take and then roll one (!) d10. The result of this one die tells me which of the result groups from my cheat sheet I will refer to. Each result is applied to the NPCs actions, one after the other, and is crossed out afterwards. The next turn I will roll again to see from which group I have to take the results form. The same is done when it comes to Dodge or Parry roles: I just determine the group once per round and use the results I get from there till the end of the round. If a mook gets hit and suffers more than one or two points of damage, I cross a “hit box” out. If two or three hit boxes are crossed out, the mook is “neutralized” (either dead, k.o.; or whimpers while slowly fading away due to a grievous injury). Of course, high amounts of damage will take out a mook immediately

The whole procedure is random enough to be acceptable (at least, for me) and keeps me from knowing the results up front (really, I am not focused enough to have an eye on ten possible outcomes. Not while GM-ing my group). As an additional bonus, I do not even need to pretend to role *IF* I decide to simply fudge some of the dice result (for the better or the worse of the PC). If I need a result for a d10 instead of a d100 I still use the same list, too, and simply stick to the second digit of the result (0 to 9).

Edited by Gregorius21778

Thanks, I'll keep that, I like this.

It's so shorter than rolling all the dices.

This is really good. I've just attempted dry running the dead rising scenario in gantry during Desolation of the Dead ahead of actually doing it with my players. Rolling dice for all the zombies was a heck of a snooze fest and I can easily seeing it killing the tempo of the game. This sheet should solve that nicely!

This is really good. I've just attempted dry running the dead rising scenario in gantry during Desolation of the Dead ahead of actually doing it with my players. Rolling dice for all the zombies was a heck of a snooze fest and I can easily seeing it killing the tempo of the game. This sheet should solve that nicely!

You might want to build one of your own then. There is a complete "how to" on my blog ;)

Edited by Gregorius21778

Just used this live. I'm part way through the Dead Rising encounter in gantry. This sheet saved a LOT of time, it should be in the rulebook.

Another game session of mine is over, and it left me with a new sheet to share. This time, we are talking Mechanicus here.

It is time for another Mook Cheat Sheet. This time it is about zombies .

Hi from a fellow GM.

Could you please explain step-by-step how it works? I am a bit confused here.

For instance, my party fight Mechanicus. I roll one d10 and hit 2. I pick #2Results group and what do I do next? If I decide the first NPC shoots, do I simply pick 92 since it is the 1st result of the group? Is the same sequence applied for w/e I choose as an action of an NPC - movement, dodging, skill use result, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by vichn

You might want to build one of your own then. There is a complete "how to" on my blog ;)

Could you link to said how-to? As I've looked upon your blog and didn't see an easy way to find it.

Could you link to said how-to? As I've looked upon your blog and didn't see an easy way to find it.

Hi WorldSmith,

with pleasure! :)

By the by, if you hit this "list icon" in the upper right of my blog a menu bar appears. Part of this menu bar is a "Category" drop-down menu that helps to navigate my blog a little. But, I admit that it is not easy to navigate. I am more into writing stuff than into organizing internet thingies... but I grow better at it over time ;)

Menu_zpsn1ypi9xe.jpg

If you want to start such a cheat sheet on your own, I advise to use 108 terrible character portraits: they are everything else but terrible and they are !FREE! to use if you adhere to the attached license (which basically says: give credit. But, read it for yourself).

Good luck with your project, and if you have anything to share: do so! :)

Edited by Gregorius21778

Hi from a fellow GM.

Could you please explain step-by-step how it works? I am a bit confused here.

For instance, my party fight Mechanicus. I roll one d10 and hit 2. I pick #2Results group and what do I do next? If I decide the first NPC shoots, do I simply pick 92 since it is the 1st result of the group? Is the same sequence applied for w/e I choose as an action of an NPC - movement, dodging, skill use result, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Vichn,

sorry for the late response. For one reason or another, I got no message in regard to the reply although I follow the topic :( Anyway...

You got it completely right! :) After you picked the result "92" for shooting (which is pretty much a miss) you cross it of and apply the next result to the next action that happens in this combat turn and so on... You only roll 1d10 at the start of each combat turn, so that you get a different row of results each time.

But I advise to decided upon the actions of your NPC before you roll the d10 to determine the "row of results" you are going to use. That way, you do not know the outcome of the actions as there are ten possible lines of results ;) And if an attack of a PC forces you to roll a dodge or parry action, you simply use the row of results you used last time... or roll for a new one, as you please!

Edited by Gregorius21778

Thanks for the answer!

I am not planning on fighting hordes yet, but the seets might come in handy.

Cultists & Zealots are now ready to be thrown at your players én mass . Furthermore, I paid attention to TheWorldSmith and gave my mook sheets their own section on my blog. After all, they are growing in numbers and shall thereby be given some more space...