Fun Times in Hanover

By Shaneth, in UFS General Discussion

Store Championship in Hanover PA was a blast. Despite the lackluster prize support in the kit, I was able to get some Paths off of Olexa two weeks before the tournament, so everybody came out happy.

10 total players - 4 rounds of swiss

1st Round
Bryan Fury over Bryan Fury
King over Cassie
Rashotep over Ivy
Ragnar over Yi Shan
Paul Phoenix over Astrid

2nd Round
Bryan Fury over Ragnar
Rashotep over Paul Phoenix
King over Yi Shan
Bryan Fury over Cassie
Astrid over Ivy

3rd Round
King over Bryan Fury
Rashotep over Astrid
Bryan Fury over Ragnar
Paul Phoenix over Yi Shan
Cassie over Ivy

4th Round
King over Rashotep
Paul Phoenix over Bryan Fury
Astrid over Bryan Fury
Ragnar over Cassie
Ivy over Yi Shan

Overall Swiss Rankings:

4-0-0 Shane Duckworth ( Earth King ) 12 points
3-1-0 Jesse Leas ( Earth Rashotep ) 9 points
3-1-0 Nick Brady ( All Paul Phoenix ) 9 points
2-2-0 Daniel Hughes ( Earth Bryan Fury ) 6 points
2-2-0 Chubbzinator (Fire Astrid) 6 points
2-2-0 Jordan Markle (Fire Bryan Fury) 6 points
2-2-0 Lucas Conrad (Earth Ragnar) 6 points
1-3-0 Elliot Marshall (Fire Cassie) 3 points
1-3-0 Mountain Doo (All Ivy) 3 points
0-4-0 Philly Cheese (Earth Yi Shan) 0 points
0-0-0 Jake Ness (Fire Astrid) 0 points

Top 4
Shane Duckworth w/ Earth King
Jesse Leas w/ Earth Rashotep
Nick Brady w/ All Paul Phoenix
Daniel Hughes w/ Earth Bryan Fury

Top 4:
King over Bryan Fury
Paul Phoenix over Rashotep

Finals:
King over Paul Phoenix

Doomsday King goes undefeated 6-0.

Pics of tournament

Dang, sorry I missed it. No one else could go, and I just couldn't afford to make the trip solo. (Dang stretch pay check.....)

hope everyone had fun

Craig

King wins another tournament.

Crap. Now I gotta find a deck that isn't him for Ottawa.

Homme Chapeau said:

Omar, Lu Chen...

Smazzurco said:

Homme Chapeau said:

Omar, Lu Chen...

One character I can't build because I don't have his card (and no it is not available believe me I tried and I will NOT get into this in public).

The other I don't have the cards.

I'd rather build Nightmare at this point.

Homme Chapeau said:

There are multiple ways to play King, of course.

What styles of King won the other tournaments you speak of?

Shaneth said:

Homme Chapeau said:

There are multiple ways to play King, of course.

What styles of King won the other tournaments you speak of?

Yes there are multiple ways to play king, but i am guessing the way that one this tournament was play 3 to 4 foundation then turn king side ways plus POTM. But if I am wrong about the build congrats on thinking outside of the box.

You got me there.

Every King uses Path of the Master...

How many attacks did they play tho? The one that top 4'd at SAS ran like.... 13 attacks. The one that went undefeated in this store championship only ran 6 attacks. It's a pretty big difference. I just wanna know what all King's do besides 4x foundation, tap King, throw for 31 and a half.

edit - for example, some kings like to play 2 attacks, then foundations, then tap king for a throw. Some Kings run unorthodox foundations. Some Kings dual-symbol for variety.

Ahh king,...im so glad everyone thinks hes boring over where i play and nobody really wants to build him...but congrats on the win though shane its too bad i couldnt make it up to play with you guys. Maybe some other time

Shaneth said:

The one that went undefeated in this store championship only ran 6 attacks. It's a pretty big difference. I just wanna know what all King's do besides 4x foundation, tap King, throw for 31 and a half.

That right there is why I no longer want to play the character.

Shaneth said:

You got me there.

Every King uses Path of the Master...

How many attacks did they play tho? The one that top 4'd at SAS ran like.... 13 attacks. The one that went undefeated in this store championship only ran 6 attacks. It's a pretty big difference. I just wanna know what all King's do besides 4x foundation, tap King, throw for 31 and a half.

edit - for example, some kings like to play 2 attacks, then foundations, then tap king for a throw. Some Kings run unorthodox foundations. Some Kings dual-symbol for variety.

The SAS King i ran played 16 attacks. Only 8 throws though.

And at the store champs this weekend, i only drew path in like 4 games all day and managed to win our tourney. hes a strong character without path. Path just makes him very powerful. Like the build i run plays a LOT of stun. Other builds ive seen run just throws, other builds run few attacks, etc. You can just adjust him to your tastes as well.

ShippuJinrai said:

And at the store champs this weekend, i only drew path in like 4 games all day and managed to win our tourney. hes a strong character without path. Path just makes him very powerful. Like the build i run plays a LOT of stun. Other builds ive seen run just throws, other builds run few attacks, etc. You can just adjust him to your tastes as well.

BTW: I'm knocking mine down to 18 attacks most likely.

Homme Chapeau said:

ShippuJinrai said:

BTW: I'm knocking mine down to 18 attacks most likely.

I approve of this message. Thought I love double face kick in your build hatman. Its just 2ccs dont like me and i dont like them. If/when they ban path, its on the team for sure.

ShippuJinrai said:

I approve of this message. Thought I love double face kick in your build hatman. Its just 2ccs dont like me and i dont like them. If/when they ban path, its on the team for sure.

I'll probably run 3x of every attack in the current build, since we're not getting another Earth kick.

the main problem is that King emphasises something I came to realise lately.

After all these years playing CCGs, I came to the epiphany that you either get

1Original OR 2Efficient.

People will complain that 2 is boring and lame. so they try to dwelve more in 1. if they ever get both of them at the same time, the moment the internets know, it only becomes 2 and then people shout for bans and lamitude (I just made that word up)

I like King, he fits "my style" of play. if I had PotMs I'd play him very often.
Given that PotM is completely borked and shouldn't have seen the light of day, it is very possible to build King without it and it will be a very viable deck. the version I ran had 12 throws as its only attacks and worked very well. no Path and it worked.

Path makes King broken, but he is a solid character alone.

/rant

Cuddos on the win Shane, I saw in the picture you were using the Chokeslam... why? the 2 check seems violent when you are not rashotep!

Lazy Lantern said:

Cuddos on the win Shane, I saw in the picture you were using the Chokeslam... why? the 2 check seems violent when you are not rashotep!

The only two throws in the current format that have a printed 5DF and printed 5dmg are Crushing Embrace and Crocodile Grasp. These two are the only throws that can be fetched back with King AND be pumped with Unstoppable Warrior.

I only run 2x Crocodile Grasp. The 2CC is ind33d violent. Running two copies ensures that I will rarely check it. However, I always pull it back with King because it shares two symbols with King for Path, unlike one symbol on Crushing Embrace.