Xenos stats

By Gurkhal, in Deathwatch House Rules

I've decided to go ahead and throw something different at my players. I'm going to introduce them to the Flying Polyps of Lovecraft's Mythos, 40k style. :D

What I ask for help with is to give the creature proper stats. The context for the critter is that I imagine that they are a pre-Old Ones race that has been vanquished to the margine of the galaxy and effectively abandoned the world to dwell in subterranean darkness. Now, as hideously powerful creatures, they could be a terror if they were unleashed and this is the plan of a radical Ordo Xenos Inquisitor. He thinks that he can uncover lore to control or at least direct these creatures and use them to attack the Imperium's enemies, in this case starting with the Tau. More puritan, or just less crazed Inquisitors, are less thrilled about it and might seek to hinder his efforts.

The Kill Team however is tasked with protecting the radical's excavation of certain windowless basalt towers on a remote world in the Jeriocho Reach. The idea is of course that one of these guys will come up and fight the Kill Team as the Inquisitor gathers different things he might need to further his plan, and I think that he would dearly want at least the corpse of the creature to study it. And thus I need them to be powerful enough so that the idea of them taking a new interest in the galaxy would be a bad thing, but also that they could actually hope to destroy the Tau in the Jericho Reach to while at the same time not auto-win all conflicts and a for a rank 1 Kill Team to take on of them down. And of course keep the original vision of Lovecraft's creature reasonably intact. I think it can be done, but I thought that I should check for some feedback on it. Because right now, I feel it lacks the little extra to make it really memorable and fullfill its role in the story.

If someone's got a more Imperial 40k name than "Flying Polyp" then I'm very interested. :)

Stats

Flying Polyp

Info

The creature can scream and communicate verbally in any substance and also within the void in sheer defiance of the laws of nature that would rule such a thing impossible, just like its flight without any notable apparatus for such things renders the knowledge of laws of nature obsolete. It is know that while still powerful, it is within the cold darkness of the void that the creature comes to its full potential for reasons that eludes all knowledge possessed by mankind.

WS 43

BS 47

S 52

T 52

Ag 33

Int 41

Per 37

WP 55

Fel 0 (at least against creatures who are not of the same species)

Skills

Awareness

Speak Language (Flying Polyp)

Common Lore (Flying Polyp)

Dodge (only when flying)

Talents

Chem-geld

Fearless

Iron Jaw

Light Sleeper

True Grit

Traits

Dark Sight

Flyer (100)

From Beyond

Regeneration (20)

Size (Massive)

Strange Physiology

Undying

Unnatural Toughness (x3)

Unnatural Strength (x2)

Unnatural Senses (10 000)

Fear (3)

Natural Weapons (teeth, or something like it)

Special

Wind Attack * (Range 100m, roll range attack against target's Ag to make an 4d10+10 Pen 4, and the attack can be directed against any number of targets witin the range of the creature's attack) and anyone failing their Agility will be moved 1d10 meters in a direction determined by the attacker. it can also be used to manipulate objects and creatures similar to telekinesis

Void WInd ** (Only usable in the void, make a BS attack of 30d10 damage with Pen 20)

Impossible Flight (spend 3 Full Actions and then jump into flight with Flyer (1000 000 000), usually for travelling the void

Misc

Wounds : 90

Edited by Gurkhal

Hope you do more of these. I love CoC/Mythos stuff.

Thanks.

I hope I'll do more as I love throwing some horror that isn't in a Codex at them, but I'll have to be careful not to get carried away, either, although Space Marines vs Star Spawns would be something. :D

Thanks.

I hope I'll do more as I love throwing some horror that isn't in a Codex at them, but I'll have to be careful not to get carried away, either, although Space Marines vs Star Spawns would be something. :D

Well, I mean, on the upside is that both use a D 100/% system. I'm just waiting for a new Malleus Monstorum since CoC added a Luck (Fate) system to their game. Bad news is, I did write to Chaosium and they said a new Malleus Monstorum is a long ways off. I hope you don't mind me changing gears, but I would encourage other folks to email Chaosium and to try to talk them into putting a new Malleus on the front burner. However, be professional, polite, and kind to them when doing so. They were so to me when they replied to the email; I just ask that othersdo likewise.

Edited For Grammar. :-S

Edited by Brother Malachai

First encounter with the monster went pretty well for them. Three Space Marines could take out one of these creatures although it had more with my own inability to hit the Space Marines that superior tactics.

Interesting.

What is the base damage of the natural weapons? 1d10?

1d10+SB, Primitive.

By the way, why not post a picture:

flying_polyp_by_eclectixx-d4pb270.jpg

Or one of the Mi-GO, Hounds to Tindalos, one of Azathoths servants, etc

I'd think that the Mi Go would be ideal enemies for 40k.

BTW, you want to go balls to the wall on this, ever read ''At the mountains of madness''? One of HPLs best stories. If you think your campaign and players can handle it throw in the elder things .

Now stop and think about this. Seriously. In AtMoM it was revealed that the elder things came to earth and created life on it, including humanity, or at least it's ancestors who they apparently created as an amusing pet.

Now, suppose the Inquisition has records of the elder thing city and knows of this, in the super ultra deep black files of the Inquisition. A xenos race created life on holy terra and humanity too. Humanity's ancestors were regarded as amusing buffoons.

HOLIUS SHITTIUS!!!

There are inquisitors who would consider ordering an exterminatus on terra itself to keep that quiet. I mean the Inquisition would rather print up and distribute a richly illustrated book telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth about every last minute detail of the Horus heresy to every last man, woman and child in the imperium than have a hint about humanitiy's origin come out under those conditions.

Seriously, this would likely be a TPK adventure as most inquisitors wouldn't even dream of letting themselves, let alone a kill team, live with that kind of knowledge.

I'm not sure how i'd handle that so can't really advise you onnit, but it is one hell of an idea...

Edited by Professor Tanhauser

ver

I'd think that the Mi Go would be ideal enemies for 40k.

BTW, you want to go balls to the wall on this, ever read ''At the mountains of madness''? One of HPLs best stories. If you think your campaign and players can handle it throw in the elder things .

Now stop and think about this. Seriously. In AtMoM it was revealed that the elder things came to earth and created life on it, including humanity, or at least it's ancestors who they apparently created as an amusing pet.

Now, suppose the Inquisition has records of the elder thing city and knows of this, in the super ultra deep black files of the Inquisition. A xenos race created life on holy terra and humanity too.

HOLIUS SHITTIUS!!!

There are inquisitors who would consider ordering an exterminatus on terra itself to keep that quiet. I mean the Inquisition would rather print up and distribute a richly illustrated book telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth about every last minute detail of the Horus heresy to every last man, woman and child in the imperium than have a hint about humanitiy's origin come out under those conditions.

Seriously, this would likely be a TPK adventure as most inquisitors wouldn't even dream of letting themselves, let alone a kill team, live with that kind of knowledge.

I'm not sure how i'd handle that so can't really advise you onnit, but it is one hell of an idea...

Very cool idea! I can see it becoming the seed of a Shadow War within the Inquisition as, one or more, gets their mind and faith broken by the knowledge and creates a faction to spread this truth while the rest tries to contain them and their damage. This could potentially create a civil war on par with the Reign of Blood if things really goes south.