What another boss Deamon, Or, Are the adventures to deamonic focused?

By Joeker, in Dark Heresy General Discussion

What another boss Deamon, Or are the published adventures to deamonic focused? Spoiler Alert!

In all the published adventures a deamon is the boss monster. And I'm a little sick of it. How do you feel? Any ideas for a less deamonic changes in the adventures? I am seriously considering pulling the deamon out of Forgotten Gods, and I am trying to figure out a way to do that without messing up the overall story line. I am looking through Enemies Without, and have an adventure coming up between the eclesiarchy and a new saint, followed maybe by dealing with Eldar. So I have time to change things before I run FGs. What type of non deamonic adventure would you like to see next from FFG?

Here's the thing, onc e you get away from daemons you are dealing with a whole different wing of the inquisition. The guy who focus' on Xenos is not going to deal with Malleus or Hereticus.

If you really want to get some Eldar in there, have the crew assigned to a secret mission on a Rogue Trader vessel.

Smugglers, recidivists, something that looks daemonic or xeno in origin and turns out to be a cover up for mundane human avarice.

Perhaps I'm setting my bar too low on that one.

Here's the thing, onc e you get away from daemons you are dealing with a whole different wing of the inquisition. The guy who focus' on Xenos is not going to deal with Malleus or Hereticus.

If you really want to get some Eldar in there, have the crew assigned to a secret mission on a Rogue Trader vessel.

That said, it probably isn't out of the question for the inquisition to deal with whatever issue pops up in their given space, regardless of threat type. Yes some branches specialize in fighting certain enemies, but no inquisitor turns a blind eye to any credible threat to the imperium, even if its outside of his or her specialty.

Combine that with the overall inquisition presence in some sectors (like askellon) is low to non-existent, who ever is there will have to deal with anything and everything that pops up, and make the call if reinforcements are needed, or if a planet cannot be saved.

Edited by BillMcDonagh

What another boss Deamon, Or are the published adventures to deamonic focused? Spoiler Alert!

In all the published adventures a deamon is the boss monster. And I'm a little sick of it. How do you feel? Any ideas for a less deamonic changes in the adventures? I am seriously considering pulling the deamon out of Forgotten Gods, and I am trying to figure out a way to do that without messing up the overall story line. I am looking through Enemies Without, and have an adventure coming up between the eclesiarchy and a new saint, followed maybe by dealing with Eldar. So I have time to change things before I run FGs. What type of non deamonic adventure would you like to see next from FFG?

I'm running through Desolation of the Dead right now (and have read through Forgotten Gods) and had the exact same thought "Oh, so the endings to the three adventures are all pretty much exactly the same. It annoyed me at first but I shrugged it off figuring there's no smoke without fire. Where you find chaos worshipping cultists, you're eventually gonna find D-D-D-DAEMONS! I will admit though, it means extra work as a GM to make the final encounters feel different.

I plan on running FG as is, but after that I'm going to have to write my own campaign if FFG don't produce another campaign book. It will be a distinctly xenos affair.

Edited by Gregor Eisenhorn

I've been writing my own campaign as well, Gregor. It was an entire Genestealer Cult plot-line on Juno, complete with side missions, red-herrings, etc. That said, my players expressed their interest in fighting the Daemonic. I'm going to have fun with that 3:D

I've been writing my own campaign as well, Gregor. It was an entire Genestealer Cult plot-line on Juno, complete with side missions, red-herrings, etc. That said, my players expressed their interest in fighting the Daemonic. I'm going to have fun with that 3:D

Haha they'll definitely have their hands full then. The final boss to the introductory adventure is very nasty for a first boss encounter. If your players are already experienced, you'll probably be able to use him without pulling any punches and bring them a world of pain.

We should have a place to upload our own campaigns, that one you're writing sounds quite intriguing!

Oh, I started with the pre-made stuff, which is why I wasn't so happy with them. I'm talking using Enemies Beyond at this point. Punches no longer pulled.

Slightly off-topic, but Slaanesh and Genestealer Cults are very good combination to keep players on edge/red-herring them, especialy if they are at least if they know the 40k universe. It was done to me and my group by our DH1 gamemaster and with all the purple robes, hairless bodies, strange sigils and crab claws/pincers/tendrils we were not really sure how will it turn out